1). Put the five idioms on the board and let the students guess the meanings. 5mins 2). Hand out the worksheet and let the students do the exercise 1..10mins 3). Explain the details for the students. 10mins
a bolt from the blue a surprise 1.
blue: blue sky bolt: lightning
a thunderbolt from a clear blue sky
Example: the news that they had got married was a bolt from the blue.
2. a little bird told me I heard
a little bird means secret information channel
Example: a little bird told me that the boss had divorced.
3. a piece of cake very easy
Example: We need not have worried about the English exam. It was a piece of cake. 4. about face a change of direction
立定;Halt; 靠拢;Close; 向左-转;Left-face(Left turn); Stand at – ease (稍息;)
向右-转; Right-face(Right turn); 向后-转; About-face(About turn); 齐步-走; Forward- march(March off);
Example: Both papers did an about face and published a criticism of the candidate’s actions.
5. above board legal, without any trickery
When a magician plays magic he will put his hands on the table to avoid the suspicions of cheating.
Example: The deal was completely above board.
He handles everything open and above board.
4) Have the students do exercise 2 in pairs. 15mins.
5) Have the students do exercise 3 in groups. 20mins.
You may prepare some props like small pieces of cards with words on them in advance. Have the students draw 4 or 5 words randomly per group and use the words to make a story or a role play. And remember one of the above idioms has to be included.
10/4/2012 Page 1 of 2
Match the phrases which have the same meanings.
1. a bolt from the blue very easy 2. a little bird told me a change of direction 3. a piece of cake a surprise 4. about face I heard 5. above board legal, without any trickery
Complete the sentences:
1. was a bolt from the blue.
2 A little bird told me that
3.. was a piece of cake.
4. did an about face and .
5. was completely above board.
Tell a story by using the given words at least with one of the above idioms.
10/4/2012 Page 2 of 2