Success Stories

By Kelly Hughes,2014-06-24 15:50
22 views 0
Success StoriesSucc

    Success Stories

    3 fishermen on Seattle-based boat rescued in Alaska

    By The Associated Press - February 27, 2012

    ANCHORAGE, Alaska -- Three crew members of a Seattle-based fishing vessel were rescued early today after their vessel ran aground on Umnak Island.

    There were no reported injuries.

    The Coast Guard says in a release it rescued the three with a helicopter after the

    58-foot Neptune 1 ran lost an engine and drifted aground.

    The crew donned survival suits and went ashore when they didn't feel safe on the Neptune. They also activated location beacons. The Coast Guard reported weather conditions at the time as snowy, with winds 25-40 mph and 12-15 foot


    The Neptune 1 is now on its starboard side on the beach. There's been no

    reported pollution even though there is fuel on board.

    Umnak Island is in the Aleutian chain, about 850 miles southwest of Anchorage.


    Fishing vessel sinks, 3 rescued

    Written by Adam Spencer, The Triplicate January 27, 2012

    Three men were rescued 11 miles off the coast of Crescent City after their fishing

    vessel sunk Friday afternoon, said U.S. Coast Guard officials.

    At 2:46 p.m. Friday Coast Guard Air Station Humboldt Bay received a garbled mayday signal from a distressed vessel named the West Wind, according to

    Coast Guard officials.

    Coast Guard Petty Officers Brian Hampton and Zane Steves, radio operators,

    were able to make out a latitude coordinate after replaying the transmission several times, but they couldn’t decipher the longitude coordinate, said Coast Guard Lt. Keith Roberts, the pilot of the helicopter used for the rescue mission

    and Lt. Josh Smith, co-pilot.

    Using two different communication towers, the Coast Guard was able to narrow

    down the location of where the signal was transmitted from, Roberts said.

    A coast guard helicopter took flight from Arcata at 3:39 p.m. and located an

inflatable life raft at 4:25 p.m. almost two hours after the mayday call, Roberts


    Petty Officer Dave Foreman, a rescue swimmer, dropped to the water and swam over to the life raft to check the survivors’ conditions. A rescue basket was then deployed by flight mechanic Petty Officer Brandon Cook to pick up the survivors and the rescue swimmer. The survivors had to briefly enter the water in order to be hoisted, Roberts said. The survivors were on board the helicopter by 4:56

    p.m, Roberts said.

    ―They’re pretty lucky,‖ Roberts said.

    Besides debris, there was no sign of the 46-foot fishing vessel when the Coast

    Guard helicopter arrived, Roberts and Smith said. There was no sign of a fuel

    spill either, Roberts said.

    Two of the three men were able to put on their survival suits (waterproof dry suits designed to protect against hypothermia), but the captain of the vessel was not

    wearing one, Roberts said.

    The helicopter dropped off the survivors at Jack McNamara Field airport at 5:11

    p.m. where they boarded an ambulance, Roberts said.

    Scanner transmissions indicated that the man not wearing a survival suit was

    showing signs of hypothermia and having trouble breathing.

    Roberts said the men weren’t sure what caused the boat to sink, but they

    reported the engine sounded ―funny‖ before the boat sank.


    Air Station Kodiak rescues 11 from 2 fishing vessels

    January 26, 2012

    JUNEAU, Alaska Coast Guard Air Station Kodiak MH-60 Jayhawk

    helicopter crews rescued 11 fishermen from two different vessels near

    Kodiak Wednesday morning.

    Communication Station Kodiak watchstanders received a call from the 58-foot fishing vessel Kimberly, homeported in Juneau, stating the vessel had run aground in Portage Bay and needed assistance at about 8 p.m.


    An Air Station Kodiak Jayhawk crew launched at about 9:30 p.m. and arrived on scene within an hour. Foul weather, including sustained 60-knot winds with gusts up to 90 knots and 16-foot seas, prevented the aircrew from rescuing the personnel at that time. The Jayhawk crew returned to Kodiak to refuel and a Coast Guard HC-130 Hercules airplane crew and a second Jayhawk crew were launched to assist the crew of the Kimberly. As aircrews were returning to assist the Kimberly, Coast Guard Sector Anchorage watchstanders received a mayday call at 6:30 a.m. from the fishing vessel Heritage south of Kodiak with seven people aboard. The second Jayhawk crew was redirected to assist the 68-foot Heritage. Air Station Kodiak launched a third helicopter crew to assist the Kimberly. The third helicopter crew arrived at the Kimberly’s location, safely hoisted all four crewmembers and arrived at Air Station Kodiak at 10:30 a.m. The second Jayhawk crew continued to the Heritage's location, arriving

    at approximately 7 a.m., and began rescuing survivors. Two crewmembers were safely hoisted from the water and the crew from the good Samaritan vessel crew, the fishing vessel Tuxedni, rescued the

    other five crewmembers from a life raft at 7:40 a.m.

    The second Jayhawk crew returned to Kodiak with the two rescued Heritage crewmembers at 9 a.m. and the Tuxedni took the passengers to Lazy Bay. The Tuxedni crew and five survivors are expected to arrive to

    Kodiak at 1 p.m. Thursday.

    The crews of both vessels were wearing survival suits and are reported to

    be in good or fair condition.

    "As medical personnel for the Coast Guard, it's very important for fishing

    vessels to take survival gear with them when they go out," said Petty officer 2nd Class Jose Varela-Santos, a flight corpsman with Air Station Kodiak. "The waters in Alaska are dangerous and treacherous and can kill you quickly. Thankfully, these crews had gear and were able to put it on in


    Marine Safety Detachment Kodiak personnel are investigating the cause

    of the Kimberly grounding and the Heritage sinking.


    Coast Guard rescues boater off Cape Hatteras, N.C.

    January 16, 2012

    The Coast Guard rescued a man Sunday from a 28-foot sailboat that was

    sinking 58 miles east of Cape Hatteras, N.C.

    At call went out to the Coast Guard around 3 p.m. after a personal

    locator beacon registered to the sailing vessel The Answer started broadcasting a distress signal, according to a Coast Guard news release. The 47-foot Motor Life Boat left the Oregon Inlet station while an MH-60 Jayhawk helicopter and a crew from Coast Guard Air Station in Elizabeth

    City took off to find the sailboat.

    The Jayhawk crew hoisted the 57-year-old man from the sailboat and took him back to the station. He was treated at Albemarle Hospital for

    hypothermia, the release said.

    Source URL (retrieved on 01/16/2012 - 05:51):



    Coast Guard: New system aided in quick rescue of 4 boaters near Catalina

    By Kristopher Hanson Staff Writer

    Posted: 12/07/2011

    AVALON - Coast Guard crews are crediting the quick reaction of rescuers and a new communications system with the survival of four boaters whose pleasure

    craft sunk suddenly off the coast of Catalina Island early Tuesday. The incident began when a faint distress call drifted over the airwaves sometime before midnight Dec. 5, alerting Coast Guard crews on Terminal Island of a

    potential disaster.

    But the precise location of the boaters was not immediately available, only a general plan of direction the group had provided family and friends before leaving

    Avalon Harbor, adjacent to the resort island's main city. But with the assistance of a new high-tech Coast Guard communications system known as "Rescue 21," crews were able to pinpoint the men, who were found floating - their 26-foot boat sunk - in chilly waters some 13 miles off Catalina's


    All were wearing life jackets and cold-water suits, and one had a radio beacon strapped to his suit, all of which rescuers say likely saved their lives, according to

    Coast Guard Petty Officer Trent Kelly.

    That beacon, along with a float plan provided to the wife of the doomed vessel's captain, gave a Coast Guard helicopter and the Cutter Blackfin a pinpoint origin

    of the radio transmission, and the men.

    Once plucked from the water, "the men were evaluated by medical technicians and found to be suffering from only minor hypothermia," Kelly said, adding that

    they were released later Tuesday.

    Rescue 21 is a new system being implemented at Coast Guard stations covering

    nearly 40,000 miles of U.S. territorial coastline using global-positioning

    technology, improved radio frequencies and a range of other advanced

    communication techniques.


    Coast Guard rescues two after vessel sinks 60 miles west

    of Coos Bay, Ore.

    September 10, 2011

    ASTORIA, Ore. The Coast Guard rescued two people and their dog after their

    vessel sank approximately 60 miles west of Coos Bay, Ore., Saturday. Group North Bend, Ore., received a call from the 34-foot wooden-hulled fishing vessel Maro at approximately 11 p.m., Friday, stating they were rapidly taking on

    water due to a split plank in the hull.

    Air Station North Bend launched an HH-65 Dolphin helicopter crew at approximately 11:20 p.m., and Air Station Astoria, Ore., launched an MH-60

    Jayhawk helicopter crew at approximately 11:40 p.m.

    Both crews arrived on scene after midnight to find the vessel had sank approximately 60 miles west of Coos Bay. Both people on board had abandoned

    ship with their dog and were floating in a life raft.

    The Dolphin crew lowered a rescue swimmer and hoisted both people and their

    dog to the helicopter.

    They were transported to Air Station North Bend.

    No injuries were reported.


    Coast Guard rescues 13 from capsized charter boat

    By Erin Richards of the Journal Sentinel

    Aug. 27, 2011

    Thirteen people in a charter boat that capsized two miles east of Whitefish Bay were rescued Saturday by a U.S. Coast Guard boat crew, according to a news

    release from the Coast Guard.

    The three-person crew and all 10 passengers aboard Diver's Delight were returned to shore at McKinley Marina and are safe with no reported injuries,

    according to the Coast Guard.

    The Coast Guard's 9th District command center in Cleveland, Ohio, was notified that the boat was in trouble at 10:38 a.m. when the boat's Emergency Position Indicating Radio Beacon, a hand-held device that looks a little like a walkie talkie,

    sent out a distress alert.

    The boat owner's wife also contacted the Milwaukee Coast Guard station after

    her husband called to tell her the charter boat capsized.

    All 13 people were sitting on top of the capsized vessel with their life jackets on when a Coast Guard boat arrived at the scene. The rescue team transported the boaters to McKinley Marina in Milwaukee, where they were met by medical


    The Coast Guard is not releasing names of the boaters, but a web page shows

    Diver's Delight Scuba Charters operating out of West Bend.


    New Bedford scalloper rescues three from pleasure craft that sank

    By Curt Brown

    August 08, 2011

    NEW BEDFORD A scalloper returning to the city from a trip to Closed Area 1 rescued three men, whose boat sank about 10 miles south of Martha's Vineyard. Tom Quintin, 49, of New Bedford, captain of the 101-foot scalloper Patience, said they rescued the three men Saturday about 3 p.m. after receiving a mayday call. Coast Guard Sector Southeastern New England said in a release Sunday they received the mayday call at 2:24 p.m. from the pleasure craft Cynthia Z, stating

    they were taking on water with three on board.

    The Coast Guard said it launched a 47-foot life boat from Station Menemsha and

    a Jayhawk helicopter from Air Station Cape Cod.

    Quintin identified two of the men as Mitchell Buck of Falmouth, the boat's owner, and Kevin Jackson of Gloucester. He didn't know the name of the third man. Buck and Jackson couldn't be reached Sunday night for their reactions to the


    Quintin said he and his crew saw the men in their orange flotation jackets waving their arms, along with debris from the boat cushions and a cooler but the

    boat was nowhere in sight.

    "It sank within minutes," he said. "Within a matter of minutes, it was on the

    bottom of the ocean."

    Quintin said the three men told him they had been in the ocean for about 20

    minutes before they were rescued.

    He said the men had a hand-held VHF portable radio that was wrapped in a

    plastic bag and used it to give their position.

    Quintin said two of the men alternated using the VHF and remained calm and

    kept their composure throughout the ordeal.

    After the men were aboard the scalloper, Quintin radioed the Coast Guard and

    said they were safe and gave them their position.

    He said the Coast Guard arrived and the men were transferred to their care. Quintin said he was "very, very happy" there was a good outcome and that he

    was able to help.

    He said the Coast Guard saved his grandfather a couple of times many years

    ago. "I'm a Christian. God values life," he said.


    Coast Guard rescues three from sinking vessel near Newport, Ore.

    July 5, 2011

    SEATTLE - The U.S. Coast Guard rescued three people that had abandoned

    ship approximately seven miles northwest of Newport, Ore., Monday. The 29-foot Sea Star called out a mayday at 6 p.m. reporting that the vessel was

    taking on water.

    A Coast Guard HH65 dolphin helicopter crew from Air Facility Newport, a 47-foot motor lifeboat crew from Depoe Bay, Ore., and a 47-foot motor lifeboat crew from

    Yaquina Bay deployed to assist.

    The helicopter crew located the crew of the Sea Star in a life raft. The three crewmembers were transferred to the motor lifeboats and transported safely to

    shore. The Sea Star sank before rescue crews arrived on scene. There were no reported injuries and the crew of Sea Star was transported safely

    to shore.


    4 crewmembers OK after tug sinks in Bering Sea

     June 26, 2011

    The Associated Press

    The Coast Guard says four crew members are OK after their tugboat sank in the

    Bering Sea.

    KODIAK, Alaska The Coast Guard says four crew members are OK after their

    tugboat sank in the Bering Sea.

    The four were able to don their survival suits and make it off the sinking tug Aries

    and onto the barge they were towing. The Coast Guard has dispatched a

    helicopter and diverted the Seattle-based icebreaker Healy, which is in the

    Bering Sea, to the scene 109 miles east of St. Paul Island. A nearby fishing vessel, the Alaska Knight, is also en route and was expected to

    reach the barge by 11:10 a.m. local time.

    The weather on scene is reported as 29 mph winds, 11-foot seas and a water

    temperature of 46 degrees Fahrenheit.

    The tug Aries is owned by C&K Marine based out of Anchorage and reportedly

    has 29,000 gallons of diesel on board.


    PLB saves the day when Coast Guard rescues 3 people in the water off

    Bahamas By Coast Guard

    May 27, 2011

    MIAMI - The crew of the Coast Guard Cutter Bluefin rescued three people following the activation of their personal locator beacon (PLB) when their vessel

    sank approximately 22 miles northwest of West End, Bahamas, Sunday.

    Bruce Mandigo, Dave Mandigo and Jhade Woodall departed from Boynton Beach and had anchored near West End when their 35-foot vessel sank Sunday


    Seventh Coast Guard District search and rescue coordinators in Miami received notification of the PLB signal and launched an HC-144 Ocean Sentry aircraft

    from Coast Guard Air Station Miami to search for the source of the signal. The HC-144 crew located the three people wearing life jackets and clinging to a water cooler. The HC-144 quickly directed the Coast Guard Cutter Bluefin to the

    location. The Bluefin's crew rescued all three individuals.

     All three were cold and hungry, but in good health.

    "These boaters survived a potentially fatal accident because they were prepared," said Capt Chris Scraba, commanding officer of Coast Guard Sector Miami. "They immediately donned life jackets, which allowed them to stay afloat until they were rescued and they activated their PLB, which provided the Coast Guard precise location information." More than 75 percent of boating fatalities are

    due to drowning rather than injuries. Of the drowning cases, more than 90 percent of victims were not wearing a life jackets. As National Safe Boating Week kicks off the boating season, the Coast Guard reminds all boaters to assess their readiness to survive a similar accident and make sure they are prepared. A relatively small investment in life saving equipment, such as an Emergency Position Indicating Radio Beacon (EPIRB) or PLB, a VHF radio and life jackets, saves lives. Test all equipment from time to time to make sure it's in working

    order and remember - life jackets work. Wear them.

    The Bluefin is an 87-foot patrol boat homeported in Fort Pierce.


    Gulf rescue: More details emerge in 4 fishermen's fight for survival

    May 27, 2011

    By David Ferrara, Press-Register

    ORANGE BEACH, Alabama -- Thanks to the efforts of a resident and an Orange Beach police officer, several fishermen were rescued in the Gulf of Mexico on

    Thursday after their boat capsized nearly a day before.

    The 36-foot fishing vessel started taking on water about 10 miles offshore at 11 a.m. Wednesday, when the crew of 4 radioed a distress signal to the U.S. Coast

    Guard, according to Orange Beach Police Chief Billy Wilkins.

    The Coast Guard eventually tracked their coordinates, Wilkins said, and at some point the boat overturned. A rescue helicopter was unable to locate the missing

    fishermen, he said.

    The men were able to secure themselves to the boat using rope, and stayed

    afloat with life jackets.

    Wilkins said Orange Beach rescue crews had been unaware of the incident until Thursday morning, when a resident notified police. Sgt. Rich Nolte, with the

    department's marine unit, initiated a search at about 8:30 a.m. Within about 45 minutes, Nolte was about 2 miles south of the coordinates reported by the Coast Guard when he spotted "a flash of orange," according to

    the chief.

    The fishermen were waving their life vests, having been stranded for roughly 22

    hours. "It was just a miracle he found them that quick," Wilkins said. All 4 men, of Baldwin County, appeared to be healthy, though they were taken to South Baldwin Regional Medical Center in Foley for precautionary measures. "It's a good thing (Nolte) took the initiative to do this," Wilkins said. "And a good

    thing the citizen came by and told us about it.

    "They were just tremendously lucky, blessed and somewhat skilled to know how to get the life jackets on and hang on for that period of time. A lot of people don't

    make it."


    3 Fla. boaters don life jackets, cling to water cooler after boat sinks;

    all rescued

    May 22, 2011

    Associated Press

    FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. Authorities say a boat sank in the waters off

    Florida, leaving three people who had been on board clinging to a water cooler

    until the Coast Guard came to their rescue.

    The Coast Guard says Bruce Mandigo, Dave Mandigo and Jhade Woodall were anchored near West End in the Bahamas when their 35-foot boat sank Sunday

    morning. It’s unclear why the boat sank.

    The South Florida Sun Sentinel reports the boaters donned life jackets and set off a personal locator beacon. They were found in good health, albeit cold and


Report this document

For any questions or suggestions please email