Vegetable Recipes in 5-10 minutes Cruciferous Vegetables from the Brassica Family: Broccoli, kale, cabbage, bok choy, cauliflower, brussel sprouts, mustard greens, collard greens, turnip greens. The Brassica family is considered the powerhouse of health-supporting nutrition. Calcium rich vegetables include Kelp, Collard Greens, Kale, Turnip Greens, Parsley, Dandelion Greens, Watercress, and Broccoli Learn the foods that are good for you and learn to make them so you will like them. Cut up Kale finely, and add it to every salad, sauce or dish you make. 1. Spinach and Yogurt Dip 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil 1 small onion minced 2-3 garlic cloves 12 ounces fresh spinach 1 cup plain yogurt Heat the oil in a skillet and add the onion and garlic and sauté. Mix in spinach and just before it wilts, remove from heat and ad yogurt. Enjoy with carrots, celery, broccoli, cauliflower, and healthy chips.
2. Three Bean Salad with Mustard Dressing 2 cups green beans cut in half
1 cup cooked chick peas
1 cup cooked kidney beans
1 large tomato
Steam green beans for 5 minutes. Put green beans, chick peas, kidney
beans and tomato chunks in a large bowl
Mustard Seed Dressing
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons mustard
2 tablespoons water
1 tablespoon chopped basil
1-2 teaspoon honey
? cup chives
Mix all ingredients but the chives in a blender for 1 minute and then pour
over beans. Drizzle chives on top. Serve cold.
3. Spinach salad
1/2 pound of spinach
20 large strawberries
1 can of mandarin oranges or 2 tangerines 1 red onion
? cup nonfat mayonnaise
? cup crushed strawberries
Wash spinach and strawberries
Slice red onion thin pieces
Mix spinach, strawberries and tangerines
In a bowl mix mayonnaise and crushed strawberries and sprinkle over salad
4. Pureed Carrot Soup
7 cups water
? lemon w/peel
12 Carrots cut into pieces
? lemon peel
2 Tablespoons Light Miso
2 Tablespoons Fresh Dill
Boil water and add carrots and lemon. Cover and simmer for 25 minutes. Remove lemon. Puree in blender or food processor with miso and fresh dill
5. Instant Fresh Tomato and Basil Sauce
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 large onion chopped finely
3 garlic cloves, crushed
1 pound ripe tomatoes peeled
20 basil leaves, cut up
honey and balsamic vinegar to taste.
1. To peel tomatoes, put in boiling water for 30 seconds then in a bowl
of cold water for 30 seconds and the skin will come off easily. Then
cut into 1/6ths
2. Mix oil, garlic, and onion in heated skillet. When the garlic and onion
are soft, add in tomato chunks and simmer. Stir in basil, honey, and
You can use this sauce with everything!!!
6. Carrots with Garlic and Basil
1 pounds carrots
1 teaspoon olive oil
2 garlic cloves minced
? fresh or dried basil
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1. Peel carrots and slice as you choose.
2. Boil water and place carrots in a steamer basket over water and cover. 3. Steam for 4-5 minutes.
4. Remove carrots and dry.
5. Heat oil over medium heat; add carrots, garlic, basil, and lemon juice.
Sauté until cooked for 3 minutes. Add pepper if you choose.
6. Acorn Squash with Maple Flavor
1 large or 2 small acorn squash
1/3 cup orange juice
1 navel orange
3 tablespoons maple syrup
sprinkle of nutmeg
1. Cut squash into thick rings. Remove seeds and stringy matter. 2. Oil a pan lightly or no stick spray and add squash in a single layer with orange juice.
3. Cover with foil and bake for 10 minutes at 400 degrees. 4. You can remove the peel if you choose.
5. Remove from pan and ad orange slices and drizzle with syrup and nutmeg.
6. Flip squash and oranges, cover pan and reheat for 10 minutes, uncover pan, flip squash and oranges, and reheat for 15 more minutes.
7. Brussel Sprouts
1-1.5 pounds of Brussel Sprouts. Rinse, cut off base and trim base of thick stalks, and peel.
Make and “X” cutting in the stem end before cooking. Steam for 15
Mix in with #5 Instant Fresh tomato Sauce and Basil
Or Add Butter or Butter and Grated Parmesan Cheese or Butter and fresh dill and chives
8. Egg Dipped Cauliflower or Broccoflower
6 cups of bite size cauliflower or broccoflower
2 eggs beaten
Extra virgin olive oil
1. Combine cauliflower in a deep saucepan or casserole dish with 1 inch of water. Steam over medium heat or microwave for 2 minutes. Drain liquid
2. Stir the beaten egg with the cauliflower until spread evenly
3. Cook in lightly oiled skillet over medium heat until golden brown. Turn frequently. And season with salt.
9. Sautéed Cabbage and Onions
1 ? tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 large onion quartered and thinly sliced
? dry white wine
1 package of 16 ounces of shredded coleslaw
Heat oil and onion in pan over medium heat. Stir in the wine and cabbage. Cover and cook until the cabbage is limp, about 10 minutes.
2. Raise the head to medium, uncover and cook, stir frequently, until cabbage is golden brown, about 5-8 minutes. Add salt and pepper if you choose.
10. Broccolini slaw
1 (12-ounce) package fresh broccoli slaw
1 cup red seedless grapes, halved
1 Granny Smith apple, diced
1 cup Vidalia onion or poppy seed dressing
2 oranges, peeled and sectioned
Toasted chopped pecans (optional)
Stir together first 5 ingredients in a large bowl. Top with chopped pecans, if desired.
10. Cabbage Foo Youngs
4 Egg Whites
1 shredded red cabbage
2/3 cup bean sprouts chopped
? cup diced green pepper
? teaspoon of ground black pepper and minced fresh ginger
1. In a medium bowl, beat the egg whites with a fork until frothy. Add
the cabbage, sprouts, green pepper, ginger, and black pepper.
2. Drop small round tablespoons of the egg mixture in the pan and cook
until golden brown in light oil or nonstick spray for 10 minutes.
11.Warm Red Cabbage Salad
1 head red cabbage
1 small onion, sliced
? cup sweet peas
5 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
3 Tablespoons Rice Vinegar
1 Tablespoon ume vinegar or sea salt
? cup roasted walnuts, optional
Cut cabbage length wise into 4 pieces, then into ? strips. Steam for 3-5
Sauté onion until limp and transparent and add cabbage with peas to the
Combine olive oil, rice, vinegar, and ume vinegar or sea salt and toss
with cabbage. Sprinkle roasted walnuts on top and serve warm.
12. Split Pea Soup
2 cups green split peas
8 cups water
1 onion, chopped
2 medium carrots sliced
3 garlic cloves
? teaspoon salt
black pepper, cumin or curry powder for taste
1 Tablespoon miso optional
2 Tablespoons parsley chopped
1. Rinse Peas and place in pot and bring water to a boil. 2. Add water, garlic, carrots, and onions and add to water. 3. Simmer on low heat for 60 minutes or until carrots are soft. 4. If adding miso, dissolve in small amount of water and add to soup. 5. Serve with parsley.
13. Mash Potatoes with a Twist
1. boil potatoes until fork can go through them
2. pour out water and mash up
3. add soy milk and salt
4. steam favorite greens-spinach, kale, chard and blend with mash
5. Add heated garlic slivers
14. Stir Fry Tofu and Bok Choy
1 pound firm or extra firm tofu
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 bunch bok choy with leaves, sliced crosswise and rinsed ? cup coarsely chopped peanuts
1.Cut tofu into ? inch thick slice. Blot well between paper towels and dice.
2. Heat oil in a stir fry pan. Add tofu and stir fry over medium heat until
golden brown on most sides, approximately 10 minutes.
3. Add the bok choy, stir fry with 2 tablespoons of water for 3-4 minutes
and stir in peanuts
14. Greens-beet, collard, kale, mustard, turnip
1. 1-1/4 pounds
2. remove tough stems and rinse well
3. Chop leaves.
4. steam for 7-9 minutes
5. add butter or Instant Fresh Tomato and Basil Sauce
15. Chickpea spread
One 16 ounces of chickpeas, drained and rinsed 1/3 cup soy mayonnaise
? green bell pepper, finely diced
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
? teaspoon ground cumin
1. Mash the chickpeas or put in a food processor
2. Combine with the remaining ingredients, mix and serve
16. Huge Delicious Granny smith apples
1. Cut out the core of the apple
2. Put in a bowl with a few tablespoons of water and cinnamon and bake
for 40 minutes or microwave for few minutes.
17. White Bean and Dried Tomato Spread
In a blender mix:
One 16 ounce can of white beans, drained and rinse ? cup oil-cured sun-dried tomatoes
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
1 teaspoon salt free herb and spice seasoning mix 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
Serve with High Fiber Bread
18. Fresh Fruit Parfait
Mix fresh or frozen fruit; Cherries, blueberries, strawberries 2-8 ounces of yogurt or soy yogurt
sliced almonds or granola
grated semi sweet chocolate.
In parfait or regular cups put a layer of yogurt and then a layer of fruit and
then add your favorite toppings
19. Chunky Applesauce or Regular Applesauce with banana bites, raisins, and almond slivers
20. Chocolate Fun: Mix cherry flavored Wholesoy yogurt with Zen chocolate pudding, add frozen cherries
21. Maple Baked Pears
4-5 Medium Pears
? cup maple syrup
? chopped walnuts
low fat frozen yogurt, optional
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. Quarter pear lengthwise and remove the core and stems.
3. Cut each quarter in half lengthwise. Arrange ins a 9 by 9 inch nonstick
4. Drizzle the syrup over the pears and sprinkle cinnamon and walnuts
5. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes. At the 15 minute mark stir the mix.
6. Serve warm with frozen yogurt or regular yogurt
22. Banana split: Lots Cherries, strawberries, blueberries bananas mixed with your favorite organic ice cream, soy ice cream or yogurt
23. Amaretto Strawberries
1 pint of fresh sliced strawberries, with 3 tablespoons of amaretto or almond liquor.
2. Crush about ? of the strawberries and mix.
3. Let sit for 30 minutes or refrigerate.
4. serve with frozen yogurt or organic or soy ice cream or yogurt
24. Chocolate Soy Smoothie
Cold Chocolate soy milk
Mix in blender and serve
25. Waffles with fresh or frozen strawberries and blueberries ( microwave frozen fruit until soft)
and Maple Syrup
or Chocolate Syrup
26. High Fiber Cinnamon Raisin Bread with Butter and Honey