Join Workstation to Windows Domain
These instructions assume you have a local administrator account on the workstation, you must create one or have the existing user of the machine create one for you.
You should not use the same administrator account and password for every single workstation in the faculty; however it is advised that you use a common administrator password for groups of local machines i.e. for a single laboratory or a group of related staff machines. This will enable administration of these sets of machines to be delegated to appropriate IT staff without giving them administrator access to all of the machines in the faculty and in the event of a compromise limit the impact this has overall.
1. Log onto the workstation with a local administrator account, select the logon to workstation only option if the novell netware client is installed.
2. Right click “My Computer” and select properties.
3. Select change to rename the computer or join the domain.
4. Change the computer name (the name should conform to the clip4 naming convention), goto
step 7 if already done.
5. Allow the changes to come into effect, by clicking ok in the following dialogue box.
6. Restart the workstation by clicking yes.
7. Repeat steps 1 to 3, Select Member of a Domain, and enter the domain name i.e. ds.man.ac.uk.
In the subsequent box enter the name of an authorised faculty/school support staff member or other network account to join this computer to the domain.
8. When the account has successfully validated and the computer has been added, you will see the Domain Welcome message.
9. Allow the changes to come into effect, by clicking ok in the following dialogue box.
10. Restart the workstation by clicking yes.
11.When finished goto http://www.woodstock.mcc.ac.uk/ and update the NIC database please
ensure that you enter the correct DNS name for the workstation.