Chapter 8: Leadership in Management
Chapter Practice Review Quiz
1.. What is something that an ideal leader is able 7. What is NOT necessary in a mentor? to do? A) good listening skills
A) take charge B) a working knowledge of the company B) focus on specific tasks C) specific knowledge of the mentoree's job C) manage others D) experience in the industry
D) inspire others
8. Which word is a synonym for integrity?
2. What is NOT true of a business vision? A) honesty
A) It is for the leader alone. B) code
B) It is the big picture. C) productivity
C) It represents a goal to strive for. D) skill
D) It is to be shared by all in a company.
9. Which is true of developing leadership skills?
3. What is initiative? A) Leadership cannot be learned; you must be a
born leader. A) the ability to motivate others
B) the ability to make decisions on your own B) Over time, you can develop the various traits
needed for leadership. C) setting goals for yourself
D) having self-confidence C) If you develop one leadership trait, all the rest
will come easily.
4. What is another word for confidence? D) You only need one leadership trait to be a
good leader. A) motivation
10. Which is NOT true of autocratic leaders? C) self-assurance
D) charisma A) They are often disliked.
B) They have the authority to control everything. 5. Which is NOT something the human relations C) Military leaders are included in this group. department might handle? D) They ask for input from their workers.
A) hiring new employees
11. Who makes the final decision in a democratic B) handling employee records
leadership situation? C) managing other departments
D) handling conflicts A) each employee
B) the group as a team
6. Who would most likely need a mentor? C) the democratic leader
A) a manager D) human resources experts
B) the CEO
12. Which kind of leader does the most C) someone in human relations
delegating? D) a new employee
13. Which is a good reason to delegate? A) You are not interested in the project.
B) You have confidence your team can do a project on their own.
C) You do not want the project to succeed. D) You do not think you have the skills to manage the project well.
14. Which type of leadership team would probably see a manager the least often? A) autocratic.
15. How are team leaders like managers? A) They motivate other team members. B) They give orders.
C) They delegate.
D) They report to someone else.
Feedback: With free-rein leadership, leaders Answer Keys:
set goals for managers and employees, then 1. D
Feedback: An ideal leader should have a allow them to make the decisions to achieve
vision and inspire others to share in that those goals. vision.. 13. B
Feedback: One good reason to delegate a 2. A
Feedback: A vision is for all in a company to project is that you believe a team can do it on
focus on as a goal. their own.
3. B 14. D
Feedback: Initiative means to act and make Feedback: Self-managed teams work on
decisions without the help or advice of others. projects without input from managers - unless
the job is not getting done. 4. C
Feedback: Self-assurance means that you feel 15. A
assured or confident that what you are doing Feedback: A team leader, like a manager,
is the right thing to do. Then others feel should motivate the team to accomplish its
confident in you too. goals.
Feedback: Human relations departments - or HR - don't manage other departments. 6. D
Feedback: A new employee might want a mentor to help learn about the company and the industry.
Feedback: A mentor does not have to have specific knowledge of their mentoree's job to be a good mentor.
Feedback: Integrity is adherence to a code of ethical values such as honesty, loyalty, and fairness.
Feedback: Good leaders are always trying to get better - and you can always develop the different leadership traits.
Feedback: Autocratic leaders do not ask for input from their workers; they expect their orders to be obeyed without question. 11. C
Feedback: The democratic leader gets input from the group, then makes the final decision about a situation.