Newton Convention & Visitors Bureau st113 1 Ave. W.
Newton, IA 50208
Newton Convention & Visitors Bureau
Grant Program Guidelines and Application
The Newton Convention & Visitors Bureau was established in 1988 to increase tourism and economic activity in Newton through the promotion of visitor activities. To achieve this purpose, the Convention & Visitors Bureau provides many promotional services and resources at no cost. When, however, a group needs support beyond our standard services, a request for promotional funding assistance can be made to the Grant Advisory Committee of the Newton Convention & Visitors Bureau.
The Newton Convention & Visitors Bureau grants a total of $1000.00 to projects within the calendar year, ststJanuary 1 through December 31. Requests will be considered based on their merit and the availability of funds. As the grant dollars are depleted, new applications will not be eligible for that calendar year.
Applications must be received (not postmarked) in the Newton CVB office at least 90 (ninety) days prior to the event and disbursement of funds. Applications received less than 90 (ninety) days prior to an event will
be automatically disqualified.
1. Organization planning the event must be a registered non-profit.
2. Organization can be from any city or state, with first priority given to those located in Newton,
Requirements and Criteria:
1. Grant Program Applications must be typed.
2. A total of 4 (four) copies of the Grant Program Application and all supporting materials must be
received (not postmarked) in the Newton CVB office by the 90-day deadline as outlined above.
3. Eligible organizations must submit a copy of their operating budget (including in-kind matches)
and general information on the event. This narrative description should specify how grant
revenues will be used, describe how and where the event will be promoted, and how the event
is expected to impact overnight tourism in Newton (for example, what portion of the attendance
is from outside Newton?).
4. A plan of where the money will be used must be included with the Grant Program Application. If
grant monies will be spent on advertising, then quoted estimates on advertising costs must be
included with the application materials if applicable. A mock-up of the advertisement is required
with the Grant Program Application.
5. Grants may not be used to pay for local advertising, as the intent of the Newton Convention &
Visitors Bureau’s grant funding is to bring visitors to the community from outside the immediate
6. At a minimum, projects must contain the “Newton…We Saved a Place for YOU” logo OR the
tagline “This project is sponsored in part by the Newton Convention and Visitors Bureau,” OR
both the logo and tagline. The Newton CVB logo is available upon request.
7. All grants awarded must be used for event promotion and must be matched (at a minimum)
dollar for dollar by the organization or another source. Letters of Intent for local matches must
be included in your supportive documents.
8. Approved applications may not be awarded the full funding amount requested; therefore
applicants must have a contingency plan for additional funding included with the grant
application. Grant amounts will not exceed $200.00 per project.
9. Grants will not be awarded to past projects awarded within the last two calendar years or to
repay past debts.
Grant recipients are required to submit a Project Evaluation of their use
of grant monies within 45 (forty-five) days after the completion of the
event, stating how the event impacted the community, approximate
number of visitors, room nights, etc. All grants will be fulfilled by direct
payment from the Newton Convention & Visitors Bureau to the grant
recipient after said Project Evaluation has been received within the
required 45 (forty-five) days after the completion of the event.
Applicants will be notified within one week of the CVB Board Meeting held after receipt of the Grant Program Application regarding the funding award.
For more information/questions:
Contact Linda L. Bacon, Executive Director, at the Newton Convention and Visitors Bureau.
Newton Convention and Visitors Bureau
Grant Program Application Form
Project Coordinator: _________________
Project Name: ____________ ________________
City: ___________ State: Zip: _____
Phone: ______Fax: ___________
Grant Amount Requested: ___________________________________________________________
Grant Recipient Agrees to the following:
1. To include the “Newton…We Saved a Place for YOU” logo or the tagline “This project is
sponsored in part by the Newton Convention and Visitors Bureau,” or both the logo and
2. The grant is set up on a reimbursement basis after expenses have been incurred and paid.
3. To provide the project documentation as outlined under the Requirements and Criteria
section of the Grant Program Guidelines; along with:
a. Completed reimbursement form, supporting invoices, and canceled check(s).
b. Copies of advertisement, brochure, etc. where the Newton CVB logo or tagline or
both were used.
4. To notify the Newton CVB if funding will not be utilized due to changes or cancellation of the
5. To notify the Newton CVB if there is a change in the Project Coordinator for the project due
to staffing or other changes.
6. The grant recipient understands that deviation from the submitted Application for the Grant
Program to the Newton CVB may result in the loss of actual funds awarded.
7. The Newton CVB will issue a check for reimbursable expenses within 30 days of receiving
the required project documentation.
8. Grant Applications must be sent to:
Newton Convention & Visitors Bureau
Attn: Linda L. Bacon st113 1 Ave. W.
Newton, Iowa 50208
_____________________________________ ______________________________________ Project Coordinator Date
For office use only:
Application Number: _______
Date Received: _______
Project Operating Budget:
1. List eligible costs below and reference to the attached estimates (quoted estimates for all eligible
costs must be included with application materials):
Vendor Amount Attachment #
2. List the source(s) of local match funds below. A signed letter of intent from EACH funding source
specifying the dollar amount committed to the project must be submitted with this application.
Even if you are matching the grant from your own budget, a letter from your organization or business must still be attached.
Source Amount Attachment #
3. Have you applied to, or plan to apply for, any other grant programs to fund this project? If yes, specify which programs?
_____ No _____ Yes (please list grant program[s] and amount[s] below)
Project Narrative: Specify how grant revenues will be used; how and where the event will be promoted; and how the event is expected to impact overnight tourism in Newton, Iowa.
Use of Grant Monies: Please describe your plan for where these grant monies will be used; i.e. advertising, promotional items, etc. (quoted estimates must be included with application materials - if applicable).
Project Contingency Funding Plan: Approved application may not be awarded the full funding
amount requested; therefore applicants must have a contingency plan for additional funding included with this application.
Request for Reimbursement
Newton Convention and Visitors Bureau Grant
Complete this form and return with all supporting documentation to the Newton Convention and
Applicant: _____________________ Project Coordinator: _________________ Project Name: ____________ ________________ Address: ________________ City: ________________ State: Zip: Phone: ___________ Fax: ______ E-mail: _________________
Total Grant Award Amount:
List all eligible expenses:
Vendor Invoice Canceled Check Name/Address Number Number and Amount
_________________________________________________ (Please use additional page if necessary)
___Copy (ies) of paid invoices
___Copy (ies) of canceled check(s)
___Copy of advertisement(s)
___ Project Evaluation
I certify all invoices and information submitted represent costs eligible for reimbursement through the
Newton Convention and Visitors Bureau grant program.