SECTION 10 22 19.13
DEMOUNTABLE METAL PARTITIONS
SPEC WRITER NOTE: Delete between //---//
if not applicable to project. Also delete
any other item or paragraph not applicable
in the section and renumber the
PART 1 - GENERAL
This section specifies movable partitions, metal faced sandwich type
with mineral fiber core, nominal 22 mm (7/8 inch) thick.
1.2 RELATED WORK
A. Electrical Work: Division 26, ELECTRICAL.
B. Door Hardware: Section 08 71 00, DOOR HARDWARE.
C. Color of Finish: Section 09 06 00, SCHEDULE FOR FINISHES.
1.3 DESIGN CRITERIA
A. Floor fastenings:
Concealed and adjustable to variations in floor level and finish. B. Door and panel units:
Interchangeable and not less than // 1000 mm (40 inches)// // wide
unless otherwise shown.
C. Partition units containing doors:
Adjustable vertically and capable of assembly on floors having normal
deviations from a plane surface, without cutting the doors. D. Provide for installation of electrical wiring through vertical and
horizontal frame members.
A. Submit in accordance with Section 01 33 23, SHOP DRAWINGS, PRODUCT DATA,
Metal panel, 200 mm (eight inches) square, with baked-on enamel finish,
C. Shop Drawings:
Complete drawings, 1/2 full scale, showing details of construction and
SPEC WRITER NOTE: Update applicable
publications to current issue at time of
project specification preparation.
10 22 19.13 - 1
1.5 APPLICABLE PUBLICATIONS
A. American Society for Testing and Material (ASTM):
A366-97.................Steel Sheet, and Strip, Carbon, Cold Rolled, and
C665-06.................Mineral-Fiber Blanket Thermal Insulation for
Light Frame Construction and Manufactured
C920-08.................Elastomeric Joint Sealants
C1048-04................Heat-Treated Flat Glass
PART 2 - PRODUCTS
SPEC WRITER NOTE: Make material
requirements agree with applicable
requirements specified in the referenced
Applicable Publications. Update and
specify only that which applies to the
A. Sheet Steel: ASTM A366, Cold-Rolled Commercial Quality of the following
Panel Face Sheets 0.9 mm (0.036 inch)
Top Filler Face Sheets 0.9 mm (0.036 inch)
End Filler Face Sheets 9 mm (0.036 inch)
Door Face Sheets 0.9 mm (0.036 inch)
Glazing Beads 0.9 mm (0.036 inch)
Door Frames 1.3 mm (0.048 inch)
Post Caps 1.3 mm (0.048 inch)
Cornice 1.3 mm (0.048 inch)
Base 1.3 mm (0.048 inch)
Wall and Ceiling Channels 1.3 mm (0.048 inch)
Posts 1.6 mm (0.060 inch)
B. Mineral Fiber Insulation: ASTM C665, Type I. C. Glazing Cushions:
1. Channel shaped, continuous, of rubber, vinyl, polyethylene or
//1. ASTM C1048, Kind FT (tempered, clear), Condition A, Type, I, Class
1, Quality q3, 6 mm (1/4 inch) thick.//
10 22 19.13 - 2
//2. ASTM C1036, flat glass, Type I, Class 1, Quality q3, 6 mm (1/4
//3. ASTM C1036, wire glass, Type II, Class 1, Quality q6, Form 3,
1. Fabricate panels of two steel face sheets with mineral fiber core. 2. Space horizontal steel reinforcements in panels minimum of 300 mm (12
inches) on centers vertically.
3. Spot weld reinforcement to face sheets minimum of 75 mm (3 inches) on
4. Design panels to facilitate field cutting.
1. Notch or punch posts for clip connections.
2. Design posts to permit extension of partitions in any or all four
directions without disturbing posts in place.
3. Provide convenient access to electrical wiring.
4. Posts caps shall be snap-on type and finish flush with vertical sides
5. Provide free standing end panels with end posts.
6. Locate switch cutouts 135 mm (54 inches) above finished floor and
receptacle cutouts 400 mm (16 inches) above finished floor. C. Base:
1. Approximately 100 mm (four inches) high with not more than 6 mm
2. Provide base on both sides of partitions, adjustable to floor
irregularities, and readily removable in unit lengths to afford
access to electrical wiring.
3. Provide raceways for electrical wiring.
Molded type, approximately 63 mm (2-1/2 inches) high, with provision for electrical wiring.
SPEC WRITER NOTE: Check drawings and
verify whether Mineral-Board or Steel Face
Filler Panels are required by project.
E. Top Fillers (Cornice To Ceiling):
1. Fabricate of two 3 mm (1/8 inch) thick mineral-board face sheets with
mineral fiber core, overall thickness same as panels. 2. Seat bottom of sheets in recess formed in top of metal cornice.
10 22 19.13 - 3
3. Secure top of sheets in steel ceiling channels equipped with
inorganic compressive seal.
4. Point joints in mineral-board fillers flush, then tape and finish
smooth, and ready for painting.
5. Center vertical joints in filler sheets on snap-on post caps below.
F. End Fillers:
1. Fabricate of two steel face sheets with mineral fiber core and finish
same thickness as panel units.
2. Fasten end fillers to adjacent panel verticals and fit end fillers
into wall channels, fastened to building construction. 3. Design wall channels to provide for compression strip to seal wall
4. Make fillers removable without damaging wall.
1. Flush metal type, 45 mm (1-3/4 inches) thick of size shown. 2. Reinforce doors with internal bracing no thinner than 0.9 mm (0.036
inch) thick sheet steel extending full height of door and spaced not
over 150 mm (6 inches) on centers horizontally.
//3. Reinforce with 0.38 mm (0.0149 inch) thick continuous truss shaped
steel reinforcing extending full height and width of door.// 4. Insulate door panels as specified for partition panels. 5. Reinforce cutouts in doors for hinges, closers, holders, and lock or
latch strike points with minimum 11 gage steel plates. 6. Make cut-outs and drilling and tapping of reinforcement for hardware
in doors in accordance with templates furnished by hardware
7. Reinforce cutouts and sinkages for mortised template hardware with
steel plates and tap as required.
8. Provide 2 mm (3/32 inch) clearance between door at jambs and head,
and 19 mm (3/4 inch) clearance between finish floor and bottom of
H. Door Frames:
1. Rabbet frames for doors and reinforce at hinge, closer, and lock
2. Make cut-outs and drilling and tapping of reinforcement for hardware
on frames in accordance with templates furnished by hardware
3. Provide cut-outs for strike plates and hinges with dust boxes of
sheet steel welded to the back of the frames.
10 22 19.13 - 4
4. Drill lock strike jambs of each frame for reception of three mutes as
specified in Section 08 71 00, DOOR HARDWARE.
1. Bed glass, except tempered glass, in felt, elastic glazing compound,
2. Set tempered glass using resilient glazing cushions.
3. Provide metal glazing beads, either snap-in type or secure with
4. Cope or miter corners.
Clean exposed metal surfaces (except stainless steel, non-ferrous and
plated metal) of movable partitions free of scale, rust, oil and grease
and apply two coats of baked-on enamel finish.
PART 3 - EXECUTION
A. Install partitions so as to be straight, rigid, securely anchored, plumb
B. All fastening devices are to be as shown on shop drawings.
3.2 FIELD PAINTING
Touch-up all nicks and scratches with paint, matching color and texture
of baked-on enamel finish, furnished by partition manufacturer.
- - - E N D - - -
10 22 19.13 - 5