Standards and Regulations
Sample Test Questions
May 31, 2011
Section I: Multiple Choice (2 points each - 10 total points). Choose the one (1) correct answer to each of the following five (5) questions and circle or check the corresponding letter.
1. This scientist debunked the widely accepted myth of spontaneous generation, thereby setting the stage for modern biology and biochemistry. He discovered that fermentation was a biological process carried out by microorganisms:
A. Robert Koch
B. Louis Pasteur
D. Upton Sinclair
2. This U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) agency is responsible for ensuring that the nation's commercial supply of meat, poultry, and egg products is safe, wholesome, and correctly labeled and packaged, as required by the Federal Meat Inspection Act, the Poultry Products Inspection Act, and the Egg Products Inspection Act:
A. Foreign Agricultural Service
B. Economic Research Service
C. Agricultural Marketing Service
D. Food Safety and Inspection Services
Section II: Short Answers (12 points each - 48 points total). Choose four (4) of the following (8) questions to answer. If you answer more than four (4) questions, only the first four answers will be graded.
1. Give three (3) recent (over the last 4-5 years) examples of food safety violations in China or in other countries that involved Chinese food or animal feed products. What have been the implications of these violations on China’s “Brand” in the international market place?
2. Give two (2) examples of how consumers used to be cheated by sellers in the market place BEFORE food safety regulations were established. How might consumers be cheated in PRESENT DAY markets, even with regulations in place (give two  examples)?
Section III: Fill-In: (2 points each - 10 points total). Fill-in the correct answer in the blank space, choosing the proper term from the list of terms provided.
1. The U.S. Federal Food Stamp Program, the Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for
Women, Infants, and Children (WIC), and Child Nutrition Programs are all food
assistance and nutrition programs under the authority of the USDA’s
2. Formal food law in the U.S. began with the_______________________ Law.
3. The ______________________________________________________is a law-
enforcement administrative organ directly under China’s State Council in the field of
quality, metrology, entry-exit commodity inspection, entry-exit health quarantine, entry-
exit animal and plant quarantine, certification and accreditation, standardization.
General Administration of Quality Supervision, Inspection and Quarantine (AQSIQ) 1938 Food, Drug & Cosmetic Act
Ministry of Commerce
1906 U.S. Food and Drug
Economic Research Service
Foreign Agricultural Service (FAS)
Section IV: Definitions (5 points each – 30 points total). Choose six (6) of the following
nine (9) terms to define. If you define more than six (6) terms, only the first six answers will be graded.
1. Food Adulteration
2. Voluntary and Involuntary Risk and Exposure
3. Regulatory Harmonization