Quiz For M1U1-U2 Name ____________________ Score__________________ I. Multiple choice
1. –There must be a dozen pens in this house, but I can never find one when I need them.
--Keep looking. One is sure to ______.
A. turn up B. pick up C. come up D. turn on
2. I wonder if this is the computer you want ______.
A. to have repaired B. to have it repaired C. it repaired D. to repair it 3. I regret ______ you that we won’t be able to attend the ceremony tomorrow.
A. tell B. told C. telling D. to tell
4. –Daddy, can I go out and play? --______ you do your homework first.
A. May B. Hope C. Wish D. Suppose
5. –What do you think of the color of my new blouse? --Pretty good. You look nice in green. Green _____ you.
A. fits B. suits C. matches D. meets
6. This problem may lead to more serious ones if ______ unsolved.
A. made B. left C. remained D. keeping
7. ______ his arriving at school, the headmaster went directly to his office and began to work. A. In B. On C. At D. For
8. You ______ your name at the end of your composition, or I can’t tell which is which.
A. will write B. can write C. are to write D. are going to write
9. Don’t forget ______ us of any change of address.
A. telling B. to notice C. broadcasting D. to inform
10. ---Are you feeling tired after the game? ---_____. Actually, I feel quite relaxed. A. Not a little B. Not a bit C. A little bit D. Rather
11. We are sorry to say that we won’t allow him _____ out alone.
A. taking B. to take C. to be taken D. being taken
12.If you want to see a doctor, you’d better _____ ahead of time.
A. make an appointment B. make a decision C. call D. wait 13.China Daily is _____ a newspaper; it also helps us learn English.
A. much than B. no more than C. just not D. more than
14.Jumping out of _____ airplane at ten thousand feet is quite _____ exciting experience. A./ ; / B./ ; an C. an; an D. the; the
15. One of the best ways for people to keep fit is to ______ healthy eating habits. A. grow B. develop C. increase D. raise
16. The new school is being built on ______ once was a wasteland.
A. what B. that C. which D. where
17.-- My English teacher is easy to get along with._______?--She is kind and patient, but strict in our lessons.
A. How is yours B. What is yours C. What is yours like D. What does yours like
18. She was playing something I didn’t know. It _____ Beethoven.
A. sounds like B. is sounded like C. sounded like D. was sounded like
19. ______ it is to have a swim in the river in such hot weather!
A. What fun B. How funny C. How fun D. What a fun
20. Allow children the space to voice their opinions ______ they are different from your own. A. until B. even though C. as though D. unless
21. --Can he get the first prize for running? --Impossible now. He _____ to, but he has just hurt his leg. A. expects B. is expected C. was expected D. had expected
22. The young man insisted that he _____ nothing wrong and _____free.
A. did; set B. had done; be set C. did; be set D. had done; must be set
23. Since fighting was not a good way to solve the problem between the two countries, the UN decided to ______ a
A. catch up with B. come up with C. take up with D. keep up with
24. –I will tell Mary about her new job tomorrow. --You ______ her last week. A. ought to tell B. would have told C. should tell D. were supposed to have told
25. With no one _____ in such a frightening situation, she felt very helpless. A. turning down B. turned up C. to turn to D. turning on
26. _____ you have known everything about it, it is unnecessary for me to talk about it again. A. Now that B. Although C. As if D. While
27. People have different opinions about Karen, but I admire her. _____ she is a great musician.
A. After all B. Above all C. As a result D. In other words 28. The teacher ______ everyone work out a study plan.
A. expected B. wished C. advised D. hoped
29. Tom failed to pass the exam. He regretted ______ too much time _______TV. A. to waste; to watch B. wasting; watching C. to waste; watching D. wasting; to watch 30. - How much did you charge for doing that?-- Well, _____.
A. I paid five yuan B. I did nothing for it C. I did it for nothing D. It cost me five yuan
II. Word spelling
1. I am glad that my parents have finally a______________ of my choice. 2. The students are busily making p______________for the coming exam. 3. The retired teacher d______________half of his savings to the Hope Project. 4. The teacher is greatly r______________for his devotion to education. 5. He went to London without a______________any success.
6. We call pie, cake, puddings and ice-cream d______________.
7. Alone living in the foreign country for ten years, he missed his f______________friends at home.
8. We really have to leave i______________, otherwise we will miss the plane. 9. Language study r______________ patience as well as good memory. 10. Mike found a c______________job as a computer programmer, which is not easy but he thought enjoyable.
11. Do you know who is in c______________of our marketing department? 12. No one cannot but sympathize when seeing the horrific s______________after the earthquake. 13. Good eyesight is a quality, which is extremely v______________for a hunting animal. 14. A decision was finally made after some heated a______________. 15. I am proud of this plan and I s______________hope it will succeed. 16. The law f______________the sale of cigarettes to people under the age of 16. 17. I cannot believe that Shelia’s b______________is becoming more than ever strange. 18. It was r______________of you to interrupt that lady when she was speaking. 19. The man is always telling a lie. He is not to be t______________ 20. It is b______________to sit on the plane with nothing to read.
A B C D A B C D
1 ( ) ( ) ( ) ( ) 16 ( ) ( ) ( ) ( )
2 ( ) ( ) ( ) ( ) 17 ( ) ( ) ( ) ( )
3 ( ) ( ) ( ) ( ) 18 ( ) ( ) ( ) ( )
4 ( ) ( ) ( ) ( ) 19 ( ) ( ) ( ) ( )
5 ( ) ( ) ( ) ( ) 20 ( ) ( ) ( ) ( )
6 ( ) ( ) ( ) ( ) 21 ( ) ( ) ( ) ( )
7 ( ) ( ) ( ) ( ) 22 ( ) ( ) ( ) ( )
8 ( ) ( ) ( ) ( ) 23 ( ) ( ) ( ) ( )
9 ( ) ( ) ( ) ( ) 24 ( ) ( ) ( ) ( )
10 ( ) ( ) ( ) ( ) 25 ( ) ( ) ( ) ( )
11 ( ) ( ) ( ) ( ) 26 ( ) ( ) ( ) ( )
12 ( ) ( ) ( ) ( ) 27 ( ) ( ) ( ) ( )
13 ( ) ( ) ( ) ( ) 28 ( ) ( ) ( ) ( )
14 ( ) ( ) ( ) ( ) 29 ( ) ( ) ( ) ( )
15 ( ) ( ) ( ) ( ) 30 ( ) ( ) ( ) ( )