《 Engineering Mechanics》期末考试试卷/A
Class: Name， Registration No.， Score，
No. I II III IV V VI Total
Date: Jan. 11, 2008
I. Basic questions (Total 26 Points).
1. (4 points) What are the endurance limit of a material and the endurance limit of a
2. (4 points) Weight of the body is W, and pushing
force is P. W=100N, P=500N. ；=0.3. S
Determine the friction.
3. (4 points) If a circular bar (d=2l), please , l) is replaced by another (d =2d, l112121
compare their twist rigidity and strength.
4. (4 points) If the impact loads are equal for the two bars, compare the impact stresses
in the two bars.
Fig. I-4 Fig. I-5
5. (5 points) In order to enhance the load capacity of a beam, two proposals are offered as shown. (a) Two thick plates are piled up together directly without any bolt, and (b) two
thick plates are piled up together with several bolts to tighten them (For instance, bolts are set at A, B and C). (1) Neglect the friction between plates in case (a), compare the load capacities in two cases. Write down relative equations. (2) Try to analyses the forces acting on bolts.
6. (5 points) A connecting rod of a steam engine with an I-shaped cross section undergoes an axial compressive force. When the bending occurs in xy plane, it can be treated as
two ends pin supported and as two ends fixed, when the bending occurs in xz plane. In
which plane will it buckle? Please write down analysis process.
II. (12 points) Determine the force P required for the equilibrium of the compound lever
III. (12 points) For a beam shown in the Fig. III, draw bending moment and shear force
q=30kN/m P=20kN diagrams. M=10kN！m
A 2m 1m 1m B
IV. (10 points) For the bar with rigidity EA shown in the Fig., find the reactions at ends
and plot axial force diagram.
V！(15 points) A horizontal bracket ABC is fixed at support A and free at C. The bracket is
constructed from a circular cross-sectional bar with constant diameter d. A vertical
acts at C. Find the vertical displacement δ at C (Energy method). load P v
A B P a
VI. (25 points) A circular shaft (d=200 mm) with bending moment M = 96kN！m and
torque T= 125kN！m is shown in the figure. Points A and B are the points on the surface of the shaft. Let E=200GPa, ？ = 0.25 and ？ = 160 MPa. (a) Draw stress elements at allow
th A and B; (b) Exam the shaft with 4strength theory; (c) Find ; (the normal strain 45
along 45， direction with axis at B.) z
M A M
45， T T T x