Chapter 3 Detectives and Crime
1. We have met each other _____________(recent).
2. The little boy wasn’t punished because he _______________(admit) his mistakes. 3. The anxious parents were busy looking for their_____________(miss) son here
4. ----We go there together, ok?----Better go there _______________(separate). 5. The boy was_______________(frighten) when he saw the huge snake in the
6. He stopped ______________(have) a rest because he felt very tired after a long
7. Although it rained heavily, the farmers kept on ____________(work) in the fields. 8. Are you fond of_______________ (play) football?
9. I didn’t mean ________________(punish) them but they were too noisy in the
10. Please remember _____________(close) the door and widows before you leave
11. The radio needs ______________(repair).
12. I prefer _________________(stay) at home than go out tonight. 13. I ______________(watch) TV when my parents came back form work. 14. It_______________(be) five years since my brother joined the army. 15. My family _____________(be) big and my family ___________(be) all teachers. 16. Where is my book? Oh, I _____________(forget). It’s in my schoolbag.
17. Jim______________ (have) some good friends. They ____________ (have) a
field trip next week.
18. He can’t _______________(put) his car here. The policeman will_________(take)
19. It is important for you _____________(learn) English well. 20. My brother admitted _____________(make) a mistake about me. 21. Don’t present ________________(sleep)! It’s time _____________(go) to school.
22. I said to him, ― Tom, remember______________(shut) the door when you go out.‖
A. Excuse me, is this a bus?
B. Thank you, goodbye.
C. What’s this in English?
D. Yes, -R-A-N-G-E, orange.
E. No, it isn’t.
F. It is a car.
G. Can you spell ―orange‖ please?
H. Is it a Chinese car?
I. Yes, it’s an orange Chinese car.
Date: 21 November
Flight: No CA 949
Leave Beijing: 7:45
Arrive in Moscow: 11:45
Flight: No. BA347
Leave Moscow: 16:10
Arrive in London: 22:30
1. He________ a teacher and writer.
A. work as B. works as C. works on
2. This dictionary __________ me 30 dollars.
A. spent B. paid C. cost
3. _______ you success!
A. Hope B. Wish C. cost
4. The shirt is yours, it __________you.
A. belongs to B. is belonging to C. is belonged to 5.The teacher wanted us to_________ our test papers according to the standards. A. examine B. text C. check
6. ―The thief should be __________ at once!‖ the detective suggested.
A. in prison B. in the prison C. in prisons
7. I admitted _________the window. It was my fault.
A. to have broken B. breaking C. to break
8. I often go to school on foot_________ by bus.
A. instead of B. instead C. in the place of
9. The robbers robbed ________ .
A. the money from the bank. B. the bank of the money C. the bank for the money
10. On Children’s Day, boys and girls _________ their beautiful clothes. A. put on B. dress C. wear
Today is ________unusual day for me because my dream of entering _______ 11.—
A. a, a B. an, an C. an, a
12.The cars made in Japan are much cheaper than________ made in America. A. ones B. those C. that
13.----Is this book_______?
----No, it isn’t . It must be Mary’s. Mark Twain is ________ favorite author . And it has her name on it.
A. yours, hers B. your, her C. yours, her
14. –When shall we meet again?
--Make it________ day you like. It’s all the same to me.
A. one B. any C. other
15. –Have you finished all your exercise?
---Yes. _________ is left.
A. None B. Nothing C. Neither
16. --- What else do you need, Linda?
---_______ else, I think, we’ve got enough.
A. Anything B. Something C. Nothing
17. ---Excuse me, is there a repair shop near here for MP3? ---- Well, turn left at the crossing, then you can find_________. A. that B. this C. one
18. ----When shall we go to the space museum, tomorrow morning or tomorrow afternoon?
---- ________is OK. I am free tomorrow.
A. Either B. Both C. Neither
19. It is good for students to play computers. ______, it is sometimes bad for them if
they play too much.
A. On the other side B. At the other side C. On the other hand 20. ----Who taught _______ English?
---- Nobody, we taught________
A. you, yourselves B. you , ourselves C. your, ourselves 21. We had a ________ that the one who lost the game must sing a song. A. rule B. goal C. notice
22.---My grandfather likes vegetables very much, so he grows some in his vegetable garden every year.
---- Eating more vegetables ___________ good for our health. A. is B. are C was
23. We should have ________ in ourselves and we will make it if we have a try. A. success B. confidence C. progress
24.The waiter or waitress usually gives us a _________ before we order dished in a
A. menu B. list C. form
25. ---How far is it from the school to your home? ---- Not very far. It’s about _________ walk.
A. twenty minutes B. twenty minutes’ C. twenty-minutes
26. Today Mary ________ a new dress. How beautiful! A. is wearing B. is having on C. is putting on 27. The room is _________ audience. The speech is starting soon A. filled of B. full of C. full with 28.My father often sleeps with the windows__________
A. opened B. opening C. open
29. The student_________ Jack is waiting for you. A. calling B. calls C. called 30. Her parents died in the earthquake, ______ her an orphan. A. to leave B. left C. leaving
Tony, I am starting a band.____1___? A: Hi？
B: Sure, Ben, I’ d love to be in a band.
A: Ok, good._____2_____?
B: I don’t play an instrument. I sing. I like music with great lyrics. A: So do I , Tony, who else can join us?
B: Well, there is Dave. He prefers quiet music. A: Good, how about Harry? He plays the guitar,____3____? B: Yes, but Harry loves music that is loud.
A: That’s OK. We can play loud music and quiet music. B: ____4_____, Ben?
A: Oh, I like music that I an dane to. But we have one problem for our band.
A: I am not a musician and I can’t sing.
1._____________ 2.______________ 3._______________ 4._____________ 5.______________