The revision of grammar item: attributive clause
Zhaoqing No.1 Middle School
Oct. 25, 2010
Part I Observation and revision of the basic elements in attributive clause
Can you see any difference?
• They are young girls.
• They are good at singing.
• Their fans are everywhere.
• Many people are attracted by them.
• They won a singing contest in a very popular TV program in Hunan satellite channel in
• In the contest they showed something different.
A girl who sings with her soul
• She is the best singer that I have ever seen, and today she has become a superstar whose
fans are everywhere in China and even overseas. I still remember the day when I first
heard her beautiful “Dolphin sound”, by which I was very much attracted. She sings
English songs in a wonderful way, which is one of the reasons why I like her. Don’t
forget I am an English teacher myself!
* The difference between the two blocks of words is
Part II. Exercises and consolidation
Exercise 1. Combine the following sentences into one sentence in each group of sentences.
1. The man is an engineer. He talked to you just now.
2. In fact the Swede did not understand the 3 questions. The questions were asked in French.
3. The girl told me to come back today. I saw the girl.
4. The girl is the youngest in her class. The girl’s work got the prize.
5. After living in Paris for 50 years, he returned to the small town. In the small town he grew
up as a child. (1996)
6. The gentleman proved to be a thief. You told me about him yesterday. (2000上海？
7. This is the hour. In the hour the place is crowded with people.
8. These are the reasons. We do it for the reasons.
(Verb, adj., adv. , pronoun or noun) ______________ is/ are the key part / parts to connect two sentences in terms of attributive clause.
Exercise 2. Combine the following sentences into one sentence in each group.
1. John said he’d been working for an hour. That was true. (2000 春招 )
2. The moon travels round the earth once every month. This is known to everybody. ( 2001
The clause can be called as the __________________ clause. The word of which or as in the clause can refer to
Exercise 3 Correct the following sentences.
1. The film brought the hours back to me until I was taken good care of in that far-away
2. It is known to everybody, the moon travels round the Earth once every month.
3. Is this the reason why he explain at the meeting for his carelessness in his work?
4. We are living in an age whose many things are done on computer.
Exercise 4 Fill in the blanks in the passage with proper relative words.
This is the cover of a famous magazine, _____which we see Li Yuchun’s smiling face.
____ is known to all, only VIPs may appear on the cover of the “Time”. Li Yuchun made it,
______ surprised many people.
Maybe Li Yuchun is a reflection(反映) of a world ______ which people need someone to
admire, and she has got something special _____ which young people are crazy. That’s probably
the reason ____ which she is so popular. Her fans, all _____ whom call themselves “玉米”，show
unbelievable passion(热情), _____ which you come to know what a real fan is like.
Li Yuchun enjoys nationwide attention, ________ is without doubt. But will this be enough for her to be called a hero? ______is known to all, in an age _______ people more or less center
on money and fame, we’ve seen too many cases _____ young people are not able to make correct judgment. A list of heroes of a nation tells the future of that nation.
When you decide which relative word should be used in an attributive clause, you can_____________________________________________________ _________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________.
Exercise 5 Fill in the blanks in the sentences with proper relative words. 1. (04 上海) American women usually identify their best friend as someone ___________ they can talk frequently.
2. (05广东) Many people who had seen the film were afraid to go to the forest when they remembered the scenes _________ people were eaten by the tiger.
3. (05山东) He was educated at a local grammar school, _________ he went on to Cambridge.
4. (04北京) _____ is reported in the newspapers, talks between the two countries are making progress.
5. (04江苏)_____ is often the case, we have worked out the production plan.
6. (05 浙江) Jim passed the driving test, _____ surprised everybody in the office.
7. (04 湖南) I work in a business _____ almost everyone is waiting for a great chance.
8. (05上海) If a shop has chairs _____ woman can park their men, women will spend more time in the shop.
Part III. Discussion
Discuss with your desk mate or group members about the following topic:
What do you think a real hero is like?
A hero is someone who______________________________________________.