How To Send SNMP trap from NetXRay
Copyright (C) 1995 - 1997 Cinco Networks, Inc.
All rights reserved.
This section describes the step by step procedure for how to forward the NetXRay alarm to a destination SNMP Management Console.
The file are required:
XRAYALRM.EXE Application to send SNMP trap for NetXRay.
XRAYALRM.MIB MIB file defined NetXRay Alarm variables for SNMP Management Console.
XRAYALRM.BAS Script file for interface between NetXRay.exe and XRayAlrm.exe for NetXRay.
1. From the distribution floppy disk, copy the XRayAlrm.exe and XRayAlrm.bas files into directory Program files\CincoNet\\Program.
Loading Script file
NetXRay includes a pre defined VB Script file - XRAYALRM.BAS which is used to forward the NetXRay Alarm Log information to a
SNMP Management Console.
1. Open the XRayAlrm.bas script file with the text editor. Change the IP address for the destination SNMP Management Console
in the following line
Command = Command & "220.127.116.11"
2. From the NetXRay menu, go to Tools/Options..., Select Alarm page.
3. From the Options dialog box, click the define Actions... button to invoke the Alarm Actions dialog box.
4. Click Add... button to invoke the New Alarm Actions dialog box.
5. Enter the new name "SnmpTrap", select the Scrip radio button. Then click OK.
6. From the Script Information dialog box, enter the full path of the script file:
Then click Next > button, or Select the script file through the Select File dialog box.
7. Select 'Always on' if you want the Alarm action to be enabled at all time, or Select 'Schedule from' if you wish to be enabled the Alarm
action during certain time periods.
8. Enter the time period, and select each weekday of your choice by clicking on the button to toggle its ON/OFF state. A floating button
means OFF, while a sinking button means ON. Or you can click Everyday, Weekdays, or Weekend button to turn ON those days appropriately.
9. Click Next to advance to the next page.
10. Click Finish, then click OK to complete the loading script file.
Enabling Alarm Actions
After you complete the definition of the alarm actions, you must assign each severity level of your choice with at least one alarm action
to take effect. Otherwise, NetXRay may detect abnormal network conditions, but will not be able to forward SNMP trap.
To assign Alarm actions to severity level:
1. Go to Tools/Options..., Select Alarm page to display a table of assigned alarm actions.
2. Click on the cell in the table where you wish to assign a new alarm action to reveal a combo box.
3. Click the down arrow to display a list of defined actions. Choose one.
4. Repeat steps 2 to 3 to assign more alarm actions.
5. Check Enable New Alarm to enable alarm notification.
6. Click OK.
SNMP MANAGEMENT CONSOLE - HP OpenView
1. Compile the XRayAlrm.mib by using the SNMP Management Console MIB compiler.
Defined Customized Trap
In order for HP OpenView to display the NetXRay trap appropriately, , you must add the NetXRay Alarm
device to the HP OpenView Device List and defined the Customize Trap Alarm.
To add a new Device Class to the list:
1. Open the device list file name DEVICE under the sub directory OVFILES with a text editor.
2. Add the following line to the end of file:
"NetXRay Alarm" 18.104.22.168.4.1.3051.1 0x1338 ANALYZER 0
3. Save the change.
To customize alarm responses to NetXRay trap:
1. Go to Monitor\Customize Traps..., select the NetXRay Alarm device class.
2. Click Add Trap... button to invoke the Add Trap dialog box.
3. Select "Specific" in the Generic text box, then enter 1 in the Specific text box.
4. Enter the following line into the Description text box:
Trap Type: $1
5. Enter the following line into the Extended Description text box:
Severity level: $2\nDescription: $3\nTime Occurred: $4
6. Click OK to complete the customize Alarm.