717 17th Street 80202
PO Box 5108
Denver, CO 80217-5108
Phone: (800) 654-3103
Fax: (303) 978-2318
This MANU-SPEC? utilizes the Construction Specifications Institute (CSI) Manual of Practice, including
MasterFormat?, SectionFormat? and PageFormat?. A MANU-SPEC is a manufacturer-specific proprietary
product specification using the proprietary method of specifying applicable to project specifications and master
guide specifications. Optional text is indicated by brackets [ ]; delete optional text in final copy of specification.
Specifier Notes typically precede specification text; delete notes in final copy of specification. Trade/brand names
with appropriate symbols typically are used in Specifier Notes; symbols are not used in specification text. Metric
conversion, where used, is soft metric conversion.
This MANU-SPEC specifies Formaldehyde-free? building insulation. These products are manufactured by Johns
Manville. Revise MANU-SPEC section number and title below to suit project requirements, specification practices
and section content. Refer to CSI MasterFormat for other section numbers and titles.
PART 1 GENERAL
A. Section Includes: Formaldehyde-free? fiberglass thermal [And] [Sound control] insulation.
Specifier Note: Revise paragraph below to suit project requirements. If a reader of this section could reasonably expect to find a product
or component specified in this section, but it is actually specified elsewhere, then the related section number(s) should be listed in the
paragraph below. Add section numbers and titles per CSI MasterFormat and specifier’s practice. In the absence of related sections, delete paragraph below.
B. Related Sections:
1. Division 7 Section: Roof Deck Insulation.
2. Division 7 Section: Joint Sealants.
3. Division 8 Section: Curtain Wall.
4. Division 9 Section: Gypsum Board.
5. Division 9 Section: Acoustical Ceilings.
6. Division 15 Section: Mechanical: [Duct insulation] [Equipment insulation] [And] [Pipe insulation]. Specifier Note: Article below may be omitted when specifying manufacturer’s proprietary products and recommended installation.
Retain References Article when specifying products and installation by an industry reference standard. If retained, list standard(s)
referenced in this section. Indicate issuing authority name, acronym, standard designation and title. Establish policy for indicating
edition date of standard referenced. Conditions of the Contract or Division 1 References Section may establish the edition date of
standards. This article does not require compliance with standard. It is a listing of all references used in this section. 1.02 REFERENCES
C. ASTM International:
1. ASTM C423 Standard Test Method for Sound Absorption and Sound Absorption Coefficients by the Reverberation
2. ASTM C518 Standard Test Method for Steady-State Thermal Transmission Properties by Means of the Heat Flow
3. ASTM C764 Standard Specification for Mineral Fiber Loose-Fill Thermal Insulation.
4. ASTM C1014 Standard Specification for Spray-Applied Mineral Fiber Thermal and Sound Absorbing Insulation.
5. ASTM C1104 Standard Test Method for Determining the Water Vapor Sorption of Unfaced Mineral Fiber Insulation.
6. ASTM C1304 Standard Test Method for Assessing the Odor Emission of Thermal Insulation Materials.
7. ASTM C1338 Standard Test Method for Determining Fungi Resistance of Insulation Materials and Facings.
8. ASTM E84 Standard Test Method for Surface Burning Characteristics of Building Materials.
9. ASTM E90 Standard Test Method for Laboratory Measurement of Airborne Sound Transmission Loss of Building
Partitions and Elements.
10. ASTM E96 Standard Test Methods for Water Vapor Transmission of Materials.
11. ASTM E119 Standard Test Methods for Fire Tests of Building Construction and Materials.
12. ASTM E136 Standard Test Method for Behavior of Materials in a Vertical Tube Furnace at 750?C.
13. ASTM E736 Standard Test Method for Cohesion/Adhesion of Sprayed Fire-Resistive Materials Applied to Structural
14. ASTM E759 Standard Test Method for Effect of Deflection on Sprayed Fire-Resistive Material Applied to Structural
15. ASTM E970 Standard Test Method for Critical Radiant Flux of Exposed Attic Floor Insulation Using a Radiant Heat
D. California Integrated Waste Management Board (CIWMB):
1. Section 01350 Special Environmental Requirements Specification.
E. Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED):
1. Materials and Resources (MR) Credit 4.1 - Recycled Content 10%.
2. Materials and Resources (MR) Credit 4.2 - Recycled Content 20%.
3. Materials and Resources (MR) Credit 5.1 – Regional materials 10%.
4. Materials and Resources (MR) Credit 5.1 – Regional materials 20%.
Specifier Note: Article below should be restricted to statements describing design or performance requirements and functional (not
dimensional) tolerances of a complete system. Limit descriptions to composite and operational properties required to link components
of a system together and to interface with other systems. Because insulation applications may have multiple performance criteria,
coordinate language used here with other sections.
1.03 SYSTEM DESCRIPTION
F. Design Requirements: Provide [Products/systems] that have been manufactured, fabricated and installed to the following
1. Fire-Test-Response Characteristics: Provide insulation and related materials with the fire-test-response characteristics
indicated, as determined by testing identical products per test methods indicated below or other testing and inspecting
agency acceptable to authorities having jurisdiction. Identify materials with appropriate markings of applicable testing
and inspecting agency.
a. Surface Burning Characteristics (ASTM E84): [Specify flame spread/smoke developed ratings.].
b. Assembly Fire Resistance Rating (ASTM E119): [Specify assembly rating and design number.].
c. Combustion Characteristics (ASTM E136): [Specify non-combustible.].
2. Assembly Sound Transmission Rating (ASTM E90): [Specify sound transmission class (STC).].
3. Sound Absorption (ASTM C423): [Specify noise reduction coefficient.].
4. Thermal Performance (ASTM C518): [Specify R-value.].
5. [Specify any additional design requirements (fire, sound, thermal).].
G. Performance Requirements: Provide [Products/systems] that have been manufactured, fabricated and installed to the
1. Surface Burning Characteristics, Unfaced (ASTM E84): Flamespread index 25, smoke developed 50.
2. Recycled Glass Content: 25%.
3. Combustibility (ASTM E136): Noncombustible.
4. Formaldehyde Content: Free of formaldehyde.
5. [Specify any additional performance requirements (fire, sound, thermal).].
Specifier Note: Article below includes submittal of relevant data to be furnished by Contractor before, during or after construction.
Coordinate this article with Architect’s and Contractor’s duties and responsibilities in Conditions of the Contract and Division 1 Submittal
H. General: Submit listed submittals in accordance with provisions of Section 01300 Administrative Requirements.
I. Product Data: Submit manufacturer’s product data and installation instructions, including manufacturer’s SPEC-DATA?
J. Samples: Submit manufacturer’s standard selection and verification samples.
K. Quality Assurance/Control Submittals: Submit the following:
1. Test Reports: Upon request, submit [Fire] [Sound] [And] [Thermal] test reports from recognized test laboratories.
2. Certificates: Submit manufacturer’s certificate that products meet or exceed specified requirements.
L. LEED Submittals: Provide documentation indicating how the requirements of Credit MR 4.1 [And 4.2] will be met.
1. List of proposed materials with recycled content. Indicate post-consumer recycled content and pre-consumer recycled
content for each product having recycled content.
2. Product data and certification letter indicating percentages by weight of post-consumer and pre-consumer recycled
content for products having recycled content.
3. Documentation that the product passes CIWMB Section 01350 for indoor air quality. Specifier Note: Article below should include statements of prerequisites, standards, limitations and criteria that establish an overall level
of quality for products and workmanship for this section. Coordinate article below with Division 1 Quality Assurance Section. 1.05 QUALITY ASSURANCE
M. Obtain each type of building insulation through a single source.
N. Installer Qualifications: Utilize an installer having demonstrated experience on projects of similar size and complexity. Specifier Note: Paragraph below should list obligations for compliance with specific code requirements particular to this section.
General statements to comply with a particular code are typically addressed in Conditions of the Contract and Division 1 Regulatory
Requirements Section. Repetitive statements should be avoided.
O. Regulatory Requirements and Approvals: [Specify applicable requirements of regulatory agencies.].
1. [Code agency name].
a. [Report or approval number].
Specifier Note: Retain paragraph below if mock-up is required.
P. Mock-Ups: [Specify requirements for mock-up.].
1. Subject to acceptance by owner, mock-up may be retained as part of finish work.
2. If mock-up is not retained, remove and properly dispose of mock-up.
Specifier Note: Retain paragraph below if preinstallation meeting is required.
Q. Preinstallation Meetings: [Specify requirements for meeting.].
Specifier Note: Article below should include specific protection and environmental conditions required during storage. Coordinate article
below with Division 1 Product Requirements Section.
1.06 DELIVERY, STORAGE & HANDLING
R. General: Comply with Division 1 Product Requirement Section.
S. Delivery: Deliver materials in manufacturer’s original, unopened, undamaged containers with identification labels intact.
T. Storage and Protection: Store materials protected from exposure to harmful environmental conditions and at temperature
and humidity conditions recommended by the manufacturer.
PART 2 PRODUCTS
Specifier Note: Retain article below for proprietary method specification. Add product attributes, performance characteristics, material
standards and descriptions as applicable. Use of such phrases as “or equal” or “or approved equal” or similar phrases may cause
ambiguity in specifications. Such phrases require verification (procedural, legal and regulatory) and assignment of responsibility for
determining “or equal” products.
1.07 FORMALDEHYDE-FREE?? BUILDING INSULATION
A. Manufacturer: Johns Manville.
1. Contact: 717 17th Street 80202; PO Box 5108, Denver, CO 80217-5108; Telephone: (800) 654-3103; Fax: (303) 978-
2318; E-mail: email@example.com; website: www.specJM.com.
B. Proprietary Products/Systems: Building insulation, including the following:
Specifier Note: Retain the following paragraph and associated subparagraphs for installation within wall cavities, floors and ceilings.
Product is also available for metal or wood framing and may be used with a separate vapor retarder when moisture control is required.
Specifier Note: Retain the following paragraph and associated subparagraphs for use in wood or steel stud walls, floor cavities,
cathedral ceilings, or under wood, metal, or concrete decks.
1. JM Spider? Custom Insulation System
Specifier Note: Indicate appropriate R-value in the following subparagraph.
a. Thermal Resistance (R-Value) (ASTM C 518): [Specify R-value.].
b. Combustion Characteristics (ASTM E136): Pass.
22c. Critical Radiant Flux (ASTM E970): 0.11 Btu/ft × s (0.12 W/cm) or greater.
d. Smoldering Combustion (ASTM C 1149): Pass
e. Water Vapor Sorption (ASTM C1104): 5% or less.
f. Odor Emission (ASTM C1304): Pass.
g. Corrosiveness (ASTM C665, 13.8): Pass.
h. Fungi Resistance (ASTM C1338): Pass.
i. Adhesive/Cohesive bond strength (ASTM E 736): pass
j. Substrate Deflection (ASTM E 759): pass
Specifier Note: Indicate appropriate recycled content based upon manufacturer’s product literature.
k. Recycled Content: Certified by Scientific Certification Systems to contain minimum of 20% post-consumer and
5% pre-consumer recycled glass product, on average of manufacturer’s products.
l. Prove through documentation that product passes CIWMB Section 01350 for indoor air quality. Specifier Note: Fill in selected thickness in the subparagraph below from those available from manufacturer. If project includes multiple
thicknesses, indicate below.
m. Thickness: [Specify thickness.].
n. Flamespread (ASTM E84): 25, maximum.
o. Smoke Developed (ASTM E84): 50, maximum.
p. Material Standards: ASTM C1014 and ASTM C764.
C. Insulating Materials:
1. General: Provide insulating materials that comply with requirements and referenced standards.
q. Loose-fill: Provide required thickness and density per manufacturer’s instructions to achieve indicated R-value.
2. Recycled Content: To meet the requirements of LEED Credit MR 4.1 [And MR 4.2], provide insulating materials
complying with the following:
Specifier Note: Retain, edit or delete the following subparagraphs to suit project.
r. Credit MR 4.1: Provide insulating materials with post-consumer recycled content constituting a minimum of 5% of
cost of materials used for project or post-consumer recycled content plus one-half of pre-consumer recycled
content constituting a minimum of 10% of cost of materials used for project.
s. Credits MR 4.1 and MR 4.2: Provide insulating materials with post-consumer recycled content [Constituting a
minimum of 10% of cost of materials used for project or post-consumer recycled content plus one-half of pre-
consumer recycled content constituting a minimum of 20% of cost of materials used for project] [Constituting a
minimum of 20% post-consumer recycled content plus 5% pre-consumer recycled content, consisting of a
minimum of 25%].
Specifier Note: Edit Article below to suit project requirements. If substitutions are permitted, edit text below. Add text to refer to Division
1 Project Requirements (Product Substitutions Procedures) Section.
1.08 PRODUCT SUBSTITUTIONS:
D. Substitutions: No substitutions permitted.
Specifier Note: Specify subordinate or secondary items that aid and assist primary products specified above or are necessary for
preparation or installation of those items. Retain, edit or delete to suit project requirements and specifier practice. 1.09 ACCESSORIES
E. Tape: Self-adhesive vapor retarder tape with flamespread index of 25 or less, smoke developed index of 50 or less. PART 3 EXECUTION
Specifier Note: Article below is an addition to the CSI SectionFormat and a supplement to MANU-SPEC. Revise article below to suit
project requirements and specifier’s practice.
1.010 MANUFACTURER’S INSTRUCTIONS
A. Comply with the instructions and recommendations of the building insulation manufacturer.
Specifier Note: Specify actions to physically determine that conditions are acceptable to receive primary products of the section.
B. Site Verification of Conditions:
1. Verify that site conditions are acceptable for installation of building insulation.
2. Do not proceed with installation of building insulation until unacceptable conditions are corrected. Specifier Note: Specify actions required to physically prepare the surface, area or site or to incorporate the primary products of the
C. Protection: Protect adjacent work areas and finish surfaces from damage during product installation. Specifier Note: Coordinate article below with manufacturer’s recommended installation requirements.
D. General: Installation to be performed by contractor trained and approved by insulation manufacturer, following
manufacturer’s written instructions applicable to products and application indicated.
1. Install insulation that is undamaged, dry and unsoiled.
2. Water Piping Coordination: If water piping is located on inside of insulated exterior walls, coordinate location of piping
to ensure that it is placed on warm side of insulation and insulation encapsulates piping.
3. Loose-Fill Insulation: Place loose-fill insulation into spaces and onto surfaces as shown, by machine blowing with
adhesive in conformance with manufacturer’s instructions. Insulation shall fill cavities or adhere to exposed surfaces
to the specified thickness and density. Hold insulation back from air vents, flues and heat-generating appliances.
E. Installation of Vapor Retarders:
1. General: Where vapor retarders are required, extend vapor retarder to extremities of areas to be protected from vapor
transmission. Secure in place with adhesives or other anchorage system as indicated. Extend vapor retarder to cover
miscellaneous voids in insulated substrates, including those filled with loose-fiber insulation.
2. Firmly attach vapor retarders to substrates with mechanical fasteners or adhesives as recommended by vapor
3. Seal joints caused by pipes, conduits, electrical boxes and similar items penetrating vapor retarders with vapor
retarder tape to create an airtight seal between penetrating objects and vapor retarder.
4. Repair any tears or punctures in vapor retarders immediately before concealment by other work. Cover with vapor
retarder tape or another layer of vapor retarder.
Specifier Note: Specify provisions for protecting work after installation but prior to acceptance by the owner. Coordinate article below
with Division 1 Execution Requirements Section.
F. Protect installed work from damage due to subsequent construction activity on the site. Repair damage to installed products
prior to installation of finish materials.
END OF SECTION