Test Yourself (Units 1-4), Book 2
41. I guess Professor Wang hasn’t finished grading the papers yet. If he had, he would not keep us in ______.
A. suspense B. trouble C. doubt D. wonder
42. John remarked after the meeting that the speaker was a woman of ______ wit. A. emotional B. accurate C. excellent D. exceptional
43. “Are you worried about your son being alone in a strange country?” “______. I’m sure he’ll
A. By all means B. Of course C. Not in the least D. No wonder
44. The plot of the novel ______ the economic development of the village.
A. evolves with B. emerges from C. blends with D. attaches to
45. The decision to quit school at that young age is, ______, the most stupid thing I have ever done.
A. at times B. at first sight C. in retrospect D. by comparison
46. At the conference yesterday, our differences were further ______. The next step is to work out a solution acceptable to both sides.
A. narrowed down B. cooled down C. driven home D. brought about
47. Brian cheated in the last math exam, so he thought he could ______ it again this time, but he was wrong.
A. get rid of B. get away with C. avoid being caught D. mess around with 48. This child is a born mathematical problems without remembering to have meals. A. and so B. to the extent that C. so much so that D. so much that
49. As a cleaning woman, her ______ duties include cleaning the desks and mopping the floor. A. continuous B. routine C. initial D. constant
50. Even ______ what she said about his personal life is true, it is irrelevant to his qualifications as a software engineer.
A. knowing B. assuming C. recognizing D. acknowledging
51. Bonuses are meant to ______ hard work and outstanding performance. This means that not all workers are entitled to them.
A. restore B. grab C. push D. reward
52. As a senior student, you are supposed to know better than just ______ until the examination time.
A. fooled around B. to fool around C. having fooled around D. to have fooled around 53. The president of the automobile company said that short-term profit is not at the top of the company’s ______ list. Their major concern at present is developing a more competitive model. A. interest B. priority C. assignment D. job
54. In the past ten years Jack has been with us, I think he has proved that he ______ respect from everyone of us.
A. qualifies B. expects C. reserves D. deserves
55. He has been ______ since he was appointed as president of the university last year. A. putting up B. getting away C. making use of his relationship D. throwing his weight around
56. A market economy allows businesses to compete against each other free from government ______.
A. restriction B. planning C. interference D. arrangement
57. The seller gave me a thirty percent ______ on the shirt. Don’t you think it’s a good bargain?
A. discount B. treatment C. decrease D. favor
58. Mark does not take his schoolwork seriously. ______, no one expects a millionaire’s son to
A. However B. Conversely C. But then D. Nevertheless
59.I am sorry I am not in a position to answer this question. Ask the man sitting by the window. He is ______ here.
A. in charge B. liable C. reliable D. in power
60. Despite a very tight schedule, everyoe who came to the meeting agreed that at least one day should be ______ for sightseeing.
A. set apart B. added C. put in D. inserted
61. But for her mother’s sudden illness, she would never think of breaking this ______ with you. A. arrangement B. schedule C. appointment D. interview
62. To be frank, I don’t like Jack. His rather superior manner ______ on me.
A. jams B. jars C. irritates D. upsets
63. His ______ argument against our proposal is based on misinformation. A. organic B. valid C. formal D. principal
64. As a receptionist, my job ______ answering phone calls and offering general information about the company.
A. is involved with B. consists of C. requires D. evolves
65. This entrance is in ______ use: do not block it.
A. constant B. tender C. creative D. critical
66. We are all ______ to dislike those who are critical of us.
A. suspicious B. easy C. liable D. desirable
67. At the dinner party last night Christine felt greatly ______ because her mother kept bragging about her accomplishments at school.
A. alarmed B. disappointed C. ashamed D. embarrassed
68.James Joyce’s novels are difficult to understand and impossible ______ into another language. A. to translate B. for translation C. to translate it D. being translated 69. Sports help to build character and ______ competitiveness.
A. cultivate B. accomplish C. assist D. restore
70. The ______ breakdowns of the computer has caused serious delays in our work. A. continuous B. continued C. continuing D. continual
41-45: ADCAC 46-50: ABCBB 51-55: DBBDD 56-60: CACAA 61-65: CBDBA 66-70: CDAAD
Test Yourself (Units 5-8), Book 2
31. The terrorist attack on America on September 11, 2001 has met with ______ condemnation. A. overall B. universal C. extensive D. widespread
32. “Take the medicince and go to bed early. If the headache ______, you should come for an X-ray examination,” said the doctor.
A. recurs B. happens C. recovers D. repeats
33. To keep up with the pace of the modern world, we must overcome the ______ to new technology.
A. resistance B. suppression C. charm D. reproach
34. George can hardly be labeled a radical; he is a man of ______ views. A. modest B. sensitive C. moderate D. tolerant
35. The earthquake left thousands of people in ______ need of medical care. A. current B. urgent C. critical D. continual
36. ______ by a strange loud noise downstairs, the two girls jumped from their bed and screamed.
A. Stunned B. Amazed C. Promoted D. Startled
37. Our trip to Beijing ______ with the visit of my cousin Lucy’s family. So we had a great
reunion at the foot of the Great Wall.
A. recurred B. coincided C. blended D. occurred
38. The survey shows that the officials of some listed (上市的) companies are ______ themselves
at the expense of the stockholders (股东).
A. abusing B. rewarding C. disrupting D. enriching
39. At such a time of crisis, we must try to ______ all differences of party or class and stick together.
A. set forth B. set back C. set down D. set aside
40. I have told her on ______ occasions that George is not a man to be trusted. A. ridiculous B. numerous C. sentimental D. alternative
41. The renewal of the debate was anticipated but its ______ was not. A. intensity B. tension C. degree D. sensitivity
42. Being ______ about its future, investors are wary of putting more money in the dot.com industry.
A. skeptical B. contemporary C. incredible D. aesthetic
43. Don’t ______ the poor child any more. He is already sad enough for getting himself into such a mess.
A. humiliate B. threaten C. conflict D. reproach
44. For more accurate data, we need more ______ equipment to do the research. A. systematic B. expensive C. speculative D. sophisticated
45. For generations the people in these two villages lived in perfect ______. A. conflict B. distinction C. harmony D. regulation
46. The employer worked his men almost ______ collapse.
A. to the extent of B. to the point of C. on top of D. in spite of 47. While the doctors analyzed the patient’s condition, his family waited outside in considerable ______.
A. tension B. anticipation C. eagerness D. anxiety
48. When asked for your views about your ____ job, on no account must you be negative. A. current B. contemporary C. occasional D. universal
49. Our new refrigerator ______ 70 percent less electricity than our old model. A. conserves B. consumes C. conquers D. accommodates
50. Big industries and environmental protection groups naturally have ______ interests. A. conflicting B. distinguishing C. alternate D. combating
51. It wasn’t the dinner. It was ______ people talked about at the dinner that disgusted him.
A. what B. that C. whatever D. those
52. In these remote villages, women are ______ the opportunity of having a career. A. reserved B. denied C. disrupted D. invaded
53. ______ a little earlier this morning! I missed the school bus by only a minute and had to wait in the cold for nearly an hour!
A. If I had got up B. If only I get up C. If only I had got up D. If I got up 54. Most people are not yet aware that water is a precious resource that must be ______. A. conserved B. enriched C. preserved D. reserved
55. Though this house is very old and may not be worth much, it is ______ great emotional value to my father who spent all his childhood days here.
A. by B.of C.with D. for
56. I still believe children should be disciplined when the need ______.
A. arouses B.arises C. dominates D. bides
57. Allegations (指控) of corruption were ______ as ridiculous.
A. dismissed B. surrendered C. banned D. modified
58. I could see from her expression that my comments had ______.
A. come through B. hit home C. borne out D. got away
59. Susan warned herself not to ______ despair. She must stand up and fight. A. take credit for B. give way to C. work her way into D. rid herself of 60. At the time the police caught him, he was driving in ______ of 120 miles per hour. A. average B. reality C. transition D. excess
31-40: BAACB DBDDB 41-50: AADDC BDABA 51-60: ABCAB BABBD
Test Yourself (Units 1-4), Book 3
41. As people’s living standards improve, the health and beauty business is ______ with more sophisticated products than ever before.
A. astonishing B. flourishing C. exaggerating D. diminishing
42. The ______ of older persons is relatively low in developing countries, but it is growing much faster than in the West.
A. addition B. majority C. percentage D. statistic
43. Makers of consumer electronics will pay for environmental sanitation services to collect and ______ used refrigerators, computers, and televisions under the new rules.
A. discharge B. distribute C. dispose of D. deal with
44. As some of the rules concerning foreign trade ran contrary to the principles of the WTO, the government decided to ______ them as soon as possible.
A. abolish B. accomplish C. distinguish D. establish
45. As the semester is drawing to an end, the student union is calling on all the students to ______ the temptation to cheat on exams.
A. refuse B. reject C. resist D. resolve
46. In the last few years, the Internet and the World Wide Web have become ______ words; almost everyone has heard of them.
A. family B. home C. house D. household
47. Vicki never worried or hesitated about anything, she just ______ it and almost always got
whatever she wanted.
A. went by B. went for C. went over D. went with
48. The reason 800 million people go hungry today is not that there isn’t enough food in the world,
______ that these people cannot get the food anyway.
A. but B. despite C. even D. except
49. As she matured as an artist, she ______ realize that “all artists are a product of their culture.”
A. came to B. kept to C. took to D. went to
50. My son failed to come back home last night. This morning the police came to our house and ______ my worst fears that he was injured in a car accident.
A. advocated B. confirmed C. insured D. promised
51. Because of the mad cow disease, the European Union ______ a worldwide ban on British beef and beef product exports.
A. challenged B. charged C. forged D. imposed
52. The exhibition at the Shanghai Science and Technology Center ______ such endangered animals as the giant panda and the Siberian tiger and describes the work being done to protect them.
A. detects B. exploits C. features D. demonstrates
53. A computer file is a collection of ______ data, used to organize the storage and processing of data by computer.
A. electrical B. artificial C. electronic D. genuine
54. To protect the environment, scientists and engineers are researching ways to ______ electricity more cheaply from such renewable energy sources as the wind and sun.
A. generate B. manufacture C. construct D. transform
55. In social dancing, the participants dance for their own pleasure rather than for the ______ of an audience
A. appreciation B. entertainment C. leisure D. temptation
56. Wireless waste from cell phones, pocket PCs, and music players ______ special problems because they have toxic chemicals in batteries and other components.
A. expose B. commit C. pose D. transport
57. Scientists have discovered many planets orbiting distant stars, all are ______ to life. A. unlikely B. unfriendly C. forbidden D. vulnerable
58. A healthy and better-educated new generation is a ______ for sustainable economic and social development of all countries.
A. guarantee B. security C. demand D. target
59. Parks and open spaces are essential to the quality of life in dense ______ areas such as New York City.
A. agricultural B. rural C. suburban D. urban
60. My trip to the small village under the control of the enemy fire was full of delays and difficulties, but I eventually ______.
A. got by B. turned it over C. hit the sack D. made it
61. For traditional Chinese painters, fame and fortune come late, and it is ______ for artists to hold their first exhibitions when they are over seventy years old.
A. hardly common B. less frequent C. not unheard of D. just usual
62. A remote-controlled bomb exploded outside a hotel near the town square yesterday, ______ at
least 12 people.
A. having been injured B. having injured C. injured D. injuring
63. When energy is converted from one form to another, some energy is always lost as heat. ______, no energy conversion is ever 100% efficient.
A. In other terms B. In other words C. In another way D. In some way
64. While freshmen are considered part of the academic elite, some of them appear to lack common sense ______ following traffic regulations.
A. coming to B. when coming to C. when it comes to D. when they come to 65. A man who is good enough to shed his blood for his country is good enough ______ a fair deal afterwards.
A. being given B. been given C. given D. to be given
66. NASA’s Mars program was set back when two spacecraft failed up reaching Mars, one ______ up in the planet’s atmosphere and the other ______ after a software failure.
A. burned; disappeared B. burned; disappearing C. burning; disappearing D. burning; disappeared
67. After a very busy schedule in the past two months, Kenneth plans to take things ______ for a while.
A. at ease B. easily C. easy D. with ease
68. I just wonder if ______ ever ______ that you could have your own enterprise and run it yourself when you were still a student.
A. it…occurred B. you…occurred to it C. it…occurred to you D. you…occurred
69. Bicycle riders want the city government to set aside special lanes for bicycles on some of the main streets, but though they have got some supporter, ______ likes the idea. A. everyone B. not everyone C. no one D. someone
70. It can be said without exaggeration that no part of the United States is not easily accessible by car, by train, or by air, and ______ by all the three of them.
A. more often than B. more often than not C. no more often than D. less often than
41-50: BCCAC DBAAB 51-60: DCCAB CBADD 61-70: CDBCD CCCBB