DOC

Leadership Development and Succession Planning Group

By Steven Brown,2014-05-29 23:00
7 views 0
Leadership Development and Succession Planning Group

    Leadership Development and Succession Planning Group

    Meeting 22nd September 2008 @ St Martin’s

Present:

    Helen Tait (Chair) Sandgate (HT)

    John Bloomfield PEP Head

    Kate Love St Martin’s (HT)

    Lee Selby St Martin’s (DHT)

    Howard Crafter Park Farm (HT)

    Anne Foulkes Park Farm (DHT)

    Annie Wiles All Souls (HT)

    Phil Harding Harvey Grammar (DHT)

    Phil Barraclough ASK Leadership Advisor

Apologies:

    None received

Minutes of the previous meeting: Were agreed.

    The group were introduced to Phil Barraclough- Leadership Advisor from Advisory Service Kent.

    ; Helen Tait reminded the group about its remit to look at leadership

    development and succession planning in the Shepway 1 cluster/partnership

    area. Throughout the meeting it was stressed that strong Leadership and

    management is vital in the raising standards agenda.

    ; Potential Leaders of Tomorrow: John Bloomfield reported that 12 aspiring

    leaders attended this meeting led by Niki Thomas at the Hythe Imperial. There

    were positive evaluations and they all found it interesting. It allowed participants

    to plan their own pathways to leadership and Niki talked them through the

    different NCSL programmes available. The participants would welcome the

    opportunity to work again and this could be linked to the Deputy Headteacher’s

    network meetings.

    ; Deputy Headteacher’s Network Meetings: John Bloomfield proposed inviting

    future deputies/senior teachers to these meetings to cater for the next level of thleadership. He explained that at the first meeting of this group this year on 24

    September he would be asking participants to help plan the programme for the

    next 5 sessions. Kate Love suggested that the group should be renamed to

    ‘future leaders’ to encourage other school leaders to attend.

    ; Helen Tait stressed the link between school leadership and the need to raise

    standards in Shepway- This depended on the quality of the next leaders.

    ; Helen Tait raised the issue of attendance at these meetings and John

    Bloomfield reported that some smaller schools were unable to release staff to

    attend. We talked about funding supply for these schools and Howard Crafter

    suggested that there was still ?30K sitting in 3 pots in the cluster that may fund

    this. John Bloomfield said that this money may need to go back to KCC due to

    changing from clusters to children’s partnerships. KL will follow this up with

    cluster board.

; The group resolved that to raise the profile of succession planning the ‘cluster’

    should fund supply for a member of staff from the smaller schools to attend the

    ‘future leaders’ sessions 3 times a year. Funding would be released upon

    attendance. It was also proposed that there should be two additional twilights

    during the year that could possibly cross over with the Leading from the Middle

    collaborative.

    ; Kate Love suggested that Headteachers should be given an outline of each

    session and choose the most appropriate staff member to attend ; Phil Harding asked about the attendance of Secondary colleagues at these

    meetings. John Bloomfield explained that whilst in the past these have been for

    primary schools only, now that we have ‘gone local’ there is no reason why

    these couldn’t be cross phase.

    ; Leading from the Middle Collaborative: John Bloomfield and Lee Selby reported

    on the successful Leadership Coach Day that started this programme. The

    Headteachers and Senior leaders who are acting as leadership coaches were

    very positive about the programme.

    ; John Bloomfield will check with Val Walton how Shepway 1 schools can access

    the 50% funding that the ‘cluster’ agreed to.

    ; Lee Selby is leaving Shepway in January but is planning to run another

    collaborative with John Bloomfield with the Ashford/Shepway Local Learning

    Network, NCSL funding permitting. Lee will explore this with SELT. ; Role of School Improvement Partners: We discussed the role of SIPs in

    encouraging Schools to promote leadership development and succession

    planning. Phil Barraclough explained that the SIP visit template is drawn up by

    the SIP manager and that Leadership Advisors are able to suggest that an

    explicit question about succession planning is added to the Summer SIP form.

    However this would take a long time to implement. As there are now only three

    SIPs in Shepway 1 it was suggested that John Bloomfield speak to the other

    SIPs to get them to challenge Headteachers about developing future leaders

    and attending future leaders/deputies courses.

    ; Internship lack of take-up from Shepway. Discussion followed about this

    opportunity. It was noted that if people are not focussing on Leadership,

    especially delegated Leadership, then it will not impact on standards in

    Shepway1.

    ; Participation on NCSL/ASK Leadership programmes: Kate Love will ask rdHeadteachers at tomorrows (23 September) Cluster Heads meeting to

    complete proforma about participation in NCSL and ASK leadership

    programmes over the last three years. Phil Barraclough to produce participation

    data from ASK. Helen Tait to contact Niki Thomas to see if NCSL can release

    participation data.

    ; KCC Leadership Action Plan: Phil Barraclough explained that this focussed on

    continuing Headteacher Breakfast briefings, Deputy Headteacher network

    meetings and setting up a more formal mentoring system for new

    Headteachers.

    ; Helen Tait in her NLE role had been working on the new process for mentoring/

    coaching new Headteachers and explained the proposed system to the group.

    This would include a conference and support network for identified mentor

    heads. Annie Wiles and Kate Love expressed the importance of clear

    expectations and commitment from mentors.

    ; Helen Tait also reported on the success of the Internment project and hoped

    that more Shepway schools would become involved next year.

    ; Phil Barraclough talked about a Leadership through writing project he was

    leading in another cluster. Headteachers may like to follow this up. ; Cluster Developments: Ian Gilbert and Mick Walters had been booked for the ndcluster day on 2 March. John Bloomfield shared elements of cluster data for

    writing and maths. He suggested that Headteachers from primary, secondary

    and special schools meet in November to share and discuss this.

    Action Points:

    1. Kate Love to follow up funding streams at ‘Cluster Board’.

    2. The group resolved that to raise the profile of succession planning the ‘cluster’

    should fund supply for a member of staff from the smaller schools to attend the

    ‘future leaders’ sessions 3 times a year. Funding would be released upon

    attendance. It was also proposed that there should be two additional twilights

    during the year that could possibly cross over with the Leading from the Middle

    collaborative.

    3. John Bloomfield will check with Val Walton how Shepway 1 schools can access

    the 50% funding for the Leading from the Middle collaborative that the ‘cluster’

    agreed to. Is that the ?2K this school improvement group was allocated? 4. Lee Selby to contact SELT about running an Ashford/ Shepway Leading from

    the Middle Collaborative in 2009/2010.

    5. John Bloomfield to speak to the other Shepway 1 SIPs to ask them to challenge

    Headteachers about developing future leaders and attendance at future

    leaders/deputies courses. rd6. Kate Love will ask Headteachers at tomorrows (23 September) Cluster Heads

    meeting to complete proforma about participation in NCSL and ASK leadership

    programmes over the last three years.

    7. Phil Barraclough to produce participation data for cluster schools in ASK

    Leadership programmes.

    8. Helen Tait to contact Niki Thomas to see if NCSL can release participation data

    for cluster schools in NCSL programmes.

    Date of next meeting: thWednesday 19 November @ 1.00pm @ Park Farm

Report this document

For any questions or suggestions please email
cust-service@docsford.com