1. As far as we know, what civilization was the first to try and explain the
workings of the heavens in a systematic way?
2. Why did Pythagoras teach that the Earth was round?
3. Aristotle suggested that the Earth was a sphere based on his naked eye
observations. What were those observations that lead him to believe the Earth
4. Who was the first person to make a measurement of the Earth’s size?
5. What measurements did Aristarchus make before Eratosthenes?
6. How far away is the Sun compared to the Moon according to Aristarchus?
7. How much larger is the Sun’s diameter than the Earth’s according to
Aristarchus? Is that value accurate?
8. Aristarchus’s recognition that the Sun was very large lead him to believe what
revolutionary idea in regards to the heavens?
9. Define parallax.
10. Define geocentric theories.
11. What is an epicycle and who created them?
12. Draw a picture representing Ptolemy’s model of motion of a planet on page 47.