The English Standard Version (ESV) Study Bible.
“A dream come true”??
By Art K.
Note to the Reader: After reading my report below, some has asked whether or not I am what some call a ―King James Only‖ person or a Ruckmanite. I am neither. I am a believer in Jesus Christ and in His Word, the Bible. I have tried to present my research as accurately as I can and hope it will be a blessing to many.
Introduction. Updated March 30, 2011
First, why I compared the KJV to the ESV is because the ESV study Bible has received such high praise for being an excellent literal translation.
Second, in the Preface under ―Translation Legacy‖ page 19, we read ―The English Standard Version (ESV)
stands in the classic mainstream of English Bible translations over the past half-millennium. The fountainhead of that stream was William Tyndale’s New Testament of 1526; marking the course were King James Version of 1611...” I understood this to mean that there would be a great similarity between the KJV and the ESV. What I found however, is that the ESV, is in the majority of the references, very similar or the same as the NIV. This I find difficult to reconcile with the statement made in reference to the KJV.
Third what motivated me to further compare the ESV to the KJV, was the very high praise that the ESV has received from so many people who are well versed in the field of bible translations. For example, John Piper calls it ―a dream come true‖? Please see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlFsBdEkxMQ
Fourth what motivated me to examine the ESV Study Bible was what I read in the Introduction under the subtitle ―Divine Words and Merely Human Words‖, where it is written ―The ESV Study Bible contains two
kinds of words. The first kind is the actual of the Bible, which are the very words of God to us. These are printed in the larger font of each page. The second kind is the study notes, which are merely human words‖ page 9.
The problem is knowing which group of words to trust. The first group of words ―the very words of God to us‖
in the ESV have so many omissions compared to the KJV that it creates serious doubt, not trust. If there are so many omissions in ―the very words of God‖ in the ESV, how can we have confidence in the ‗words of men, in
Before we accept this translation as ―a dream come true‖ we need to examine the ESV bible carefully and
ponder the words of Jesus, ―And Jesus answered and said unto them, Take heed that no man deceive you‖.
1) The following examples are from the New Testament only.
2) This is not an exhaustive study.
Comparing the KJV to the ESV and NIV (listed in this order)
Please note: all words missing in the ESV OR NIV are highlighted in BOLD underlined in the KJV.
Gospel of Matthew
1) Mt. 1:25 And knew her not till she had brought forth her firstborn son: and he called his name JESUS.
ESV 1:25 but knew her not until she had given birth to a son. And he called his name Jesus. NIV 1:25 But he had no union with her until she gave birth to a son. And he gave him the name Jesus.
2) Mt. 5:22 But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger
of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire.
ESV 5:22 But I say to you that everyone who is angry with his brother will be liable to judgment; whoever insults his brother will be liable to the council; and whoever says, ‗You fool!‘ will be liable to the hell of fire.
NIV 5:22 But I tell you that anyone who is angry with his brother will be subject to judgment. Again, anyone who says to his brother, ‗Raca,‘ is answerable to the Sanhedrin. But anyone who says, ‗You fool!‘ will be in danger of the fire of hell.
3) Mt. 5:44 But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate
you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;
ESV 5:44 But I say to you, Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you,
NIV 5:44 But I tell you: Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you,
4) Mt. 6:13 And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil: For thine is the kingdom, and the
power, and the glory, for ever. Amen.
ESV 6:13 And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil.
NIV 6:13 And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from the evil one
5) Mt. 6:27 Which of you by taking thought can add one cubit unto his stature?
ESV 6:27 And which of you by being anxious can add a single hour to his span of life? NIV 6:27 Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?
6) Mt. 6:33 But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added
ESV 6:33 But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you. NIV 6:33 But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.
7) Mt. 8:2 And, behold, there came a leper and worshipped him, saying, Lord, if thou wilt, thou canst make
ESV 8:2 And behold, a leper came to him and knelt before him, saying, ―Lord, if you will, you can make me
NIV 8:2 A man with leprosy came and knelt before him and said, "Lord, if you are willing, you can make me clean."
8) Mt. 8:29 And, behold, they cried out, saying, What have we to do with thee, Jesus, thou Son of God? art
thou come hither to torment us before the time?
ESV 8:29 And behold, they cried out, ―What have you to do with us, O Son of God? Have you come here to torment us before the time?‖
NIV 8:29 "What do you want with us, Son of God?" they shouted. "Have you come here to torture us before the appointed time?"
9) Mt. 9:13 But go ye and learn what that meaneth, I will have mercy, and not sacrifice: for I am not come to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance.
ESV 9:13 Go and learn what this means, ‗I desire mercy, and not sacrifice.‘ For I came not to call the righteous, but sinners.‖
NIV 9:13 But go and learn what this means: ‗I desire mercy, not sacrifice.‘ For I have not come to call the
righteous, but sinners."
10) Mt. 9:18 While he spake these things unto them, behold, there came a certain ruler, and worshipped him,
saying, My daughter is even now dead: but come and lay thy hand upon her, and she shall live. ESV 9:18 While he was saying these things to them, behold, a ruler came in and knelt before him, saying, ―My daughter has just died, but come and lay your hand on her, and she will live.‖
NIV 9:18 While he was saying this, a ruler came and knelt before him and said, "My daughter has just died. But come and put your hand on her, and she will live."
11) Mt. 12:35 A good man out of the good treasure of the heart bringeth forth good things: and an evil man
out of the evil treasure bringeth forth evil things.
ESV 12:35 The good person out of his good treasure brings forth good, and the evil person out of his evil treasure brings forth evil.
NIV 12:35 The good man brings good things out of the good stored up in him, and the evil man brings evil things out of the evil stored up in him.
12) Mt. 12:47 Then one said unto him, Behold, thy mother and thy brethren stand without, desiring to speak with thee.
ESV 12:47 verse missing
NIV 12:47 Someone told him, "Your mother and brothers are standing outside, wanting to speak to you."
13) Mt. 13:51 Jesus saith unto them, Have ye understood all these things? They say unto him, Yea, Lord.
ESV 13:51 ―Have you understood all these things?‖ They said to him, ―Yes.‖
NIV 13:51 "Have you understood all these things?" Jesus asked. "Yes," they replied.
14) Mt. 15:6 And honour not his father or his mother, he shall be free. Thus have ye made the commandment
of God of none effect by your tradition.
ESV 15:6 he need not honor his father.‘ So for the sake of your tradition you have made void the word of God.
NIV 15:6 he is not to ‗honor his father‘ with it. Thus you nullify the word of God for the sake of your tradition.
15) Mt. 15:8 This people draweth nigh unto me with their mouth, and honoureth me with their lips; but
their heart is far from me.
ESV 15:8 ―This people honors me with their lips, but their heart is far from me;
NIV 15:8 "‘These people honor me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me.
16) Mt, 15:25 Then came she and worshipped him, saying, Lord, help me.
ESV 15:25 But she came and knelt before him, saying, ―Lord, help me.‖
NIV 15:25 25 The woman came and knelt before him. "Lord, help me!" she said.
17) Mt. 16:3 And in the morning, It will be foul weather to day: for the sky is red and lowring. O ye
hypocrites, ye can discern the face of the sky; but can ye not discern the signs of the times? ESV 16:3 And in the morning, ‗It will be stormy today, for the sky is red and threatening.‘ You know how to interpret the appearance of the sky, but you cannot interpret the signs of the times. NIV 16:3 and in the morning, ‘Today it will be stormy, for the sky is red and overcast.‘ You know how to interpret the appearance of the sky, but you cannot interpret the signs of the times.
18) Mt. 16:20 Then charged he his disciples that they should tell no man that he was Jesus the Christ.
ESV 16:20 Then he strictly charged the disciples to tell no one that he was the Christ.
NIV 16:20 Then he warned his disciples not to tell anyone that he was the Christ.
19) Mt. 17:21 Howbeit this kind goeth not out but by prayer and fasting.
ESV 17:21 Whole verse is missing.
NIV 17:21 Whole verse is missing.
20) Mt. 18:11 For the Son of man is come to save that which was lost.
ESV 18:11 missing
NIV 18:11 missing
21) Mt. 19:9 And I say unto you, Whosoever shall put away his wife, except it be for fornication, and shall marry another, committeth adultery: and whoso marrieth her which is put away doth commit adultery.
ESV 19:9 And I say to you: whoever divorces his wife, except for sexual immorality, and marries another, commits adultery.‖
NIV 19:9 I tell you that anyone who divorces his wife, except for marital unfaithfulness, and marries another woman commits adultery."
22) Mt. 19:17 And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if
thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.
ESV 19:17 And he said to him, ―Why do you ask me about what is good? There is only one who is good. If
you would enter life, keep the commandments.‖
NIV Mt.19:17 "Why do you ask me about what is good?" Jesus replied. "There is only One who is good. If you want to enter life, obey the commandments."
23) Mt. 20:7 They say unto him, Because no man hath hired us. He saith unto them, Go ye also into the vineyard; and whatsoever is right, that shall ye receive.
ESV 20:7 They said to him, ‗Because no one has hired us.‘ He said to them, ‗You go into the vineyard too.‘
NIV 20:7 "‘Because no one has hired us,‘ they answered. "He said to them, ‗You also go and work in my vineyard.‘
24) Mt. 20:16 So the last shall be first, and the first last: for many be called, but few chosen.
ESV 20:16 So the last will be first, and the first last.‖
NIV 20:16 "So the last will be first, and the first will be last."
25) Mt. 20:20 Then came to him the mother of Zebedee‘s children with her sons, worshipping him, and
desiring a certain thing of him.
ESV 20:20 Then the mother of the sons of Zebedee came up to him with her sons, and kneeling before him she asked him for something.
NIV 20:20 Then the mother of Zebedee‘s sons came to Jesus with her sons and, kneeling down, asked a favor
26) Mt. 20:22 But Jesus answered and said, Ye know not what ye ask. Are ye able to drink of the cup that I
They say unto him, shall drink of, and to be baptized with the baptism that I am baptized with?
We are able.
ESV 20:22 Jesus answered, ―You do not know what you are asking. Are you able to drink the cup that I am to
drink?‖ They said to him, ―We are able.
NIV 20:22 "You don‘t know what you are asking," Jesus said to them. "Can you drink the cup I am going to drink?" "We can," they answered.
27) Mt. 21:44 And whosoever shall fall on this stone shall be broken: but on whomsoever it shall fall, it will grind him to powder.
ESV 21:44 And the one who falls on this stone will be broken to pieces; and when it falls on anyone, it will crush him.‖
NIV 21:44 He who falls on this stone will be broken to pieces, but he on whom it falls will be crushed."
28) Mt. 23:14 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye devour widows’ houses, and for a pretence make long prayer: therefore ye shall receive the greater damnation.
ESV 23:14 Verse missing.
NIV 23:14 Verse missing.
29) Mt. 24:7 For nation shall rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom: and there shall be famines, and
pestilences, and earthquakes, in divers places.
ESV 24:7 For nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom, and there will be famines and earthquakes in various places.
NIV 24:7 Nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. There will be famines and earthquakes in various places.
30) Mt. 24:36 But of that day and hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels of heaven, but my Father only.
Note ‗my‘ is changed to (the) in the ESV and NIV
ESV 24:36 ―But concerning that day and hour no one knows, not even the angels of heaven, nor the Son, but (the) Father only.
NIV 24:36 "No one knows about that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only (the) Father.
31) Mt. 25:13 Watch therefore, for ye know neither the day nor the hour wherein the Son of man cometh.
ESV 25:13 Watch therefore, for you know neither the day nor the hour.
NIV 25:13 Therefore keep watch, because you do not know the day or the hour.
32) Mt 27:34 They gave him vinegar to drink mingled with gall: and when he had tasted thereof, he would not drink.
ESV 27:34 they offered him wine to drink, mixed with gall, but when he tasted it, he would not drink it. NIV 27:34 There they offered Jesus wine to drink, mixed with gall; but after tasting it, he refused to drink it.
33) Mt. 27:35 And they crucified him, and parted his garments, casting lots: that it might be fulfilled which
was spoken by the prophet, They parted my garments among them, and upon my vesture did they cast
ESV 27:35 And when they had crucified him, they divided his garments among them by casting lots.
NIV 27:35 When they had crucified him, they divided up his clothes by casting lots.
34) Mt. 28:2 And, behold, there was a great earthquake: for the angel of the Lord descended from heaven, and
, and sat upon it. came and rolled back the stone from the door
ESV 28:2 And behold, there was a great earthquake, for an angel of the Lord descended from heaven and came and rolled back the stone and sat on it.
NIV 28:2 There was a violent earthquake, for an angel of the Lord came down from heaven and, going to the tomb, rolled back the stone and sat on it.
35) Mt. 28:9 And as they went to tell his disciples, behold, Jesus met them, saying, All hail. And they came
and held him by the feet, and worshipped him.
ESV 28:9 And behold, Jesus met them and said, ―Greetings!‖ And they came up and took hold of his feet and
NIV 28:9 Suddenly Jesus met them. "Greetings," he said. They came to him, clasped his feet and worshiped him.
Gospel of Mark
1) Mk. 1:31 And he came and took her by the hand, and lifted her up; and immediately the fever left her, and
she ministered unto them.
ESV 1:31 And he came and took her by the hand and lifted her up, and the fever left her, and she began to serve them.
NIV 1:31 So he went to her, took her hand and helped her up. The fever left her and she began to wait on them.
2) Mk 2:17 When Jesus heard it, he saith unto them, They that are whole have no need of the physician, but they that are sick: I came not to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance.
ESV 2:17 And when Jesus heard it, he said to them, ―Those who are well have no need of a physician, but those who are sick. I came not to call the righteous, but sinners.‖
NIV 2:17 On hearing this, Jesus said to them, "It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick. I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
3) Mk. 3:15 And to have power to heal sicknesses, and to cast out devils:
ESV 3:15 and have authority to cast out demons.
NIV 3:15 And to have power to heal sicknesses, and to cast out devils * same as KJV
4) Mk. 5:6 But when he saw Jesus afar off, he ran and worshiped him,
ESV 5:6 And when he saw Jesus from afar, he ran and fell down before him.
NIV 5:6 When he saw Jesus from a distance, he ran and fell on his knees in front of him.
5) Mk. 6:11 And whosoever shall not receive you, nor hear you, when ye depart thence, shake off the dust under your feet for a testimony against them. Verily I say unto you, It shall be more tolerable for Sodom and Gomorrha in the day of judgment, than for that city.
ESV 6:11 And if any place will not receive you and they will not listen to you, when you leave, shake off the dust that is on your feet as a testimony against them.‖
NIV 6:11 And if any place will not welcome you or listen to you, shake the dust off your feet when you leave, as a testimony against them."
6) Mk. 6:51 And he went up unto them into the ship; and the wind ceased: and they were sore amazed in
themselves beyond measure, and wondered.
ESV 6:51 And he got into the boat with them, and the wind ceased. And they were utterly astounded, NIV 6:51 Then he climbed into the boat with them, and the wind died down. They were completely amazed,
7) Mk. 7:8 For laying aside the commandment of God, ye hold the tradition of men, as the washing of pots
and cups: and many other such like things ye do.
ESV 7:8 You leave the commandment of God and hold to the tradition of men.‖
NIV 7:8 You have let go of the commands of God and are holding on to the traditions of men."
8) Mk. 8:26 And he sent him away to his house, saying, Neither go into the town, nor tell it to any in the
ESV 8:26 And he sent him to his home, saying, ―Do not even enter the village.‖
NIV 8:26 Jesus sent him home, saying, "Don‘t go into the village."
9) Mk. 9:29 And he said unto them, This kind can come forth by nothing, but by prayer and fasting.
ESV 9:29 And he said to them, ―This kind cannot be driven out by anything but prayer.‖
NIV 9:29 He replied, "This kind can come out only by prayer."
10) Mk. 9:44 Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched.
ESV 9:44 missing
NIV 9:44 missing
11) Mk. 9:45 And if thy foot offend thee, cut it off: it is better for thee to enter halt into life, than having two feet to be cast into hell, into the fire that never shall be quenched:
ESV 9:45 And if your foot causes you to sin, cut it off. It is better for you to enter life lame than with two feet to be thrown into hell
NIV 9:45 And if your foot causes you to sin, cut it off. It is better for you to enter life crippled than to have
two feet and be thrown into hell.
12) Mk. 9:46 Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched.
ESV 9:46 missing
NIV 9:46 missing
13) Mk. 9:49 For every one shall be salted with fire, and every sacrifice shall be salted with salt.
ESV 9:49 For everyone will be salted with fire.
NIV 9:49 Everyone will be salted with fire.
14) Mk. 10:21 Then Jesus beholding him loved him, and said unto him, One thing thou lackest: go thy way, sell whatsoever thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, take up the cross,
and follow me.
ESV 10:21 And Jesus, looking at him, loved him, and said to him, ―You lack one thing: go, sell all that you
have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow me.‖
NIV 10:21 Jesus looked at him and loved him. "One thing you lack," he said. "Go, sell everything you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me."
15) Mk. 10:24 And the disciples were astonished at his words. But Jesus answereth again, and saith unto them, Children, how hard is it for them that trust in riches to enter into the kingdom of God!
ESV 10:24 And the disciples were amazed at his words. But Jesus said to them again, ―Children, how difficult it is to enter the kingdom of God!
NIV 10:24 The disciples were amazed at his words. But Jesus said again, "Children, how hard it is to enter the kingdom of God!
16) Mk. 11:26 But if ye do not forgive, neither will your Father which is in heaven forgive your trespasses.
ESV 11:26 verse missing.
NIV 11:26 verse missing
17) Mk. 13:14 But when ye shall see the abomination of desolation, spoken of by Daniel the prophet,
standing where it ought not, (let him that readeth understand,) then let them that be in Judaea flee to the mountains:
ESV 13:14 ―But when you see the abomination of desolation standing where it ought not to be (let the reader understand), then let those who are in Judea flee to the mountains.
NIV 13:14 "When you see ‗the abomination that causes desolation‘ standing where it does not belong— let
the reader understand— then let those who are in Judea flee to the mountains.
18) Mk. 13:33 Take ye heed, watch and pray: for ye know not when the time is.
ESV 13:33 Be on guard, keep awake. For you do not know when the time will come.
NIV 13:33 Be on guard! Be alert! You do not know when that time will come.
19) Mk. 14:24 And he said unto them, This is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many.
ESV 14:24 And he said to them, ―This is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many.
NIV 14:24 "This is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many," he said to them.
20) Mk. 15:28 And the scripture was fulfilled, which saith, And he was numbered with the transgressors.
ESV 15:28 missing.
NIV 15:28 missing.
Gospel of Luke
1) Lk. 1:28 And the angel came in unto her, and said, Hail, thou that art highly favoured, the Lord is with thee: blessed art thou among women.
ESV 1:28 And he came to her and said, ―Greetings, O favored one, the Lord is with you!‖
NIV 1:28 The angel went to her and said, "Greetings, you who are highly favored! The Lord is with you."
2) Lk. 2:22 And when the days of her (changed to ‗their‘) purification according to the law of Moses were
accomplished, they brought him to Jerusalem, to present him to the Lord;
ESV 2:22 And when the time came for their purification according to the Law of Moses, they brought him
up to Jerusalem to present him to the Lord
NIV 2:22 When the time of their purification according to the Law of Moses had been completed, Joseph and
Mary took him to Jerusalem to present him to the Lord
3) Lk 2:33 And Joseph and his mother marvelled at those things which were spoken of him. ESV 2:33 And his father and his mother marveled at what was said about him. NIV 2:33 The child‘s father and mother marveled at what was said about him.
4) Lk. 4:4 And Jesus answered him, saying, It is written, That man shall not live by bread alone, but by every
word of God.
ESV 4:4 And Jesus answered him, ―It is written, ‗Man shall not live by bread alone.‖‘
NIV 4:4 Jesus answered, "It is written: ‗Man does not live on bread alone.‘"
5) Lk. 4:8 And Jesus answered and said unto him, Get thee behind me, Satan: for it is written, Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou serve.
ESV 4:8 And Jesus answered him, ―It is written, ―‗You shall worship the Lord your God, and him only shall you serve.‖‘
NIV 4:8 Jesus answered, "It is written: ‗Worship the Lord your God and serve him only.‘"
6) Lk. 8:48 And he said unto her, Daughter, be of good comfort: thy faith hath made thee whole; go in peace ESV 8:48 And he said to her, ―Daughter, your faith has made you well; go in peace.‖
NIV 8:48 Then he said to her, "Daughter, your faith has healed you. Go in peace."
7) Lk. 9:55 But he turned, and rebuked them, and said, Ye know not what manner of spirit ye are of.
ESV 9:55 But he turned and rebuked them.
NIV 9:55 But Jesus turned and rebuked them,
8) Lk. 9:56 For the Son of man is not come to destroy men’s lives, but to save them. And they went to
ESV 9:56 And they went on to another village.
NIV 9:56 and they went to another village.
9) Lk. 10:19 Behold, I give unto you power to tread on serpents and scorpions, and over all the power of the
enemy: and nothing shall by any means hurt you.
ESV 10:19 Behold, I have given you authority to tread on serpents and scorpions, and over all the power of the
enemy, and nothing shall hurt you.
NIV 10:19 I have given you authority to trample on snakes and scorpions and to overcome all the power of the
enemy; nothing will harm you.
10) Lk 11:2 And he said unto them, When ye pray, say, Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy
name. Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done, as in heaven, so in earth.
ESV 11:2 And he said to them, ―When you pray, say: ―Father, hallowed be your name. Your kingdom come.
NIV 11:2 He said to them, "When you pray, say: "‘Father, hallowed be your name, your kingdom come.
11) Lk. 11:54 Laying wait for him, and seeking to catch something out of his mouth, that they might accuse
ESV 11:54 lying in wait for him, to catch him in something he might say NIV 11:54 waiting to catch him in something he might say.
12) Lk.22:64 And when they had blindfolded him, they struck him on the face, and asked him, saying,
Prophesy, who is it that smote thee?
ESV 22:64 They also blindfolded him and kept asking him, ―Prophesy! Who is it that struck you?‖
NIV 22:64 They blindfolded him and demanded, "Prophesy! Who hit you?"
13) Lk. 22:68 And if I also ask you, ye will not answer me, nor let me go.
ESV 22:68 and if I ask you, you will not answer.
NIV 22:68 and if I asked you, you would not answer.
14 Lk. 23:17 For of necessity he must release one unto them at the feast.
ESV 23:17 missing
NIV 23:17 missing
15) Lk. 23:23 And they were instant with loud voices, requiring that he might be crucified. And the voices of them and of the chief priests prevailed.
ESV 23:23 But they were urgent, demanding with loud cries that he should be crucified. And their voices prevailed.
NIV 23:23 But with loud shouts they insistently demanded that he be crucified, and their shouts prevailed.
16) Lk. 23:42 42 And he said unto Jesus, Lord, remember me when thou comest into thy kingdom.
ESV 23:42 And he said, ―Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom.‖
NIV 23:42 Then he said, "Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom."
17) Lk. 24:1 Now upon the first day of the week, very early in the morning, they came unto the sepulchre, bringing the spices which they had prepared, and certain others with them.
ESV 24:1 But on the first day of the week, at early dawn, they went to the tomb, taking the spices they had prepared.
NIV 24:1 On the first day of the week, very early in the morning, the women took the spices they had prepared and went to the tomb.
18) Lk. 24:42 And they gave him a piece of a broiled fish, and of an honeycomb.
ESV 24:42 They gave him a piece of broiled fish,
NIV 24:42 They gave him a piece of broiled fish,
Gospel of John
1) Jn. 1:14 And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.
ESV 1:14 And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we have seen his glory, glory as of the only Son from the Father, full of grace and truth.
NIV 1:14 The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the One and Only, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth.
2) Jn. 1:18 No man hath seen God at any time; the only begotten Son, which is in the bosom of the Father, he
hath declared him.
ESV 1:18 No one has ever seen God; the only God, who is at the Father‘s side, he has made him known.
NIV 1:18 No one has ever seen God, but God the One and Only, who is at the Father‘s side, has made him known.
3) Jn. 1:27 He it is, who coming after me is preferred before me, whose shoe‘s latchet I am not worthy to
ESV 1:27 even he who comes after me, the strap of whose sandal I am not worthy to untie.
NIV 1:27 He is the one who comes after me, the thongs of whose sandals I am not worthy to untie."
4) Jn 3:13 And no man hath ascended up to heaven, but he that came down from heaven, even the Son of man which is in heaven.
ESV 3:13 No one has ascended into heaven except he who descended from heaven, the Son of Man. NIV 3:13 No one has ever gone into heaven except the one who came from heaven— the Son of Man.
5) Jn. 3:15 That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life.
ESV 3:15 That whosoever believeth in him, but have eternal life.
NIV 3:15 that everyone who believes in him may have eternal life.
6) Jn. 5:4 For an angel went down at a certain season into the pool, and troubled the water: whosoever then first after the troubling of the water stepped in was made whole of whatsoever disease he had.
ESV 5:4 missing
NIV 5:4 missing
7) Jn. 5:16 And therefore did the Jews persecute Jesus, and sought to slay him, because he had done these
things on the sabbath day.
ESV 5:16 And this was why the Jews were persecuting Jesus, because he was doing these things on the Sabbath. NIV 5:16 So, because Jesus was doing these things on the Sabbath, the Jews persecuted him.
8) Jn. 5:30 I can of mine own self do nothing: as I hear, I judge: and my judgment is just; because I seek not mine own will, but the will of the Father which hath sent me.
ESV 5:30 ―I can do nothing on my own. As I hear, I judge, and my judgment is just, because I seek not my own will but the will of him who sent me.
NIV 5:30 By myself I can do nothing; I judge only as I hear, and my judgment is just, for I seek not to please myself but him who sent me.
9) Jn. 6:47 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me hath everlasting life.
ESV 6:47 Truly, truly, I say to you, whoever believes has eternal life. “Does it matter „on whom‟ we believe”?
NIV 6:47 I tell you the truth, he who believes has everlasting life. “Believes what or who”?
10)Jn. 6:69 And we believe and are sure that thou art that Christ, the Son of the living God.
ESV 6:69 and we have believed, and have come to know, that you are the Holy One of God NIV 6:69 We believe and know that you are the Holy One of God."
11) Jn. 7:8 Go ye up unto this feast: I go not up yet unto this feast; for my time is not yet full come.
ESV 7;8 You go up to the feast. I am not going up to this feast, for my time has not yet fully come.‖
ESV 7:10 But after his brothers had gone up to the feast, then he also went up, not publicly but in private.
(If we compare ESV verse 8 to verse 10 does this make Jesus a liar? How could this be?) NIV 7:8 You go to the Feast. I am not yet going up to this Feast, because for me the right time has not yet come."
12) Jn. 8:9 And they which heard it, being convicted by their own conscience, went out one by one,
beginning at the eldest, even unto the last: and Jesus was left alone, and the woman standing in the midst. ESV 8:9 But when they heard it, they went away one by one, beginning with the older ones, and Jesus was left alone with the woman standing before him.
NIV 8:9 At this, those who heard began to go away one at a time, the older ones first, until only Jesus was left, with the woman still standing there.