LNG 211: Practice Midterm
Please read each of the ten sentences below. Each is a different untransformed pattern. Identify the verb by underlining it. Label the verb as “B,” “L,” “I,” or “T.” Identity the pattern by number.
1. After school, Elaine went to the movies. label __I___ pattern __6___
2. After the meeting, John named Alice as his VP. label __T___ pattern __10__
3. During their engagement, Frank gave Jane a pianoforte. label __T___ pattern ___8__
4. Grammar never seems fun to me! label ___L__ pattern ___4__
5. Heather is in the corner by the door. label __B___ pattern __1___
6. I parked the car on top of the shrubbery. label __T___ pattern ___7__
7. Jessica considered the class stimulating. label __T___ pattern __9___
8. Someday I will be an English teacher. label ___B__ pattern __3___
9. Someday, you may become an English teacher too! label ___L__ pattern __5___
10. Yesterday, Joseph was silly about the test. label __B___ pattern __2___
Please read each of the ten sentences below. Each is a different transformed pattern. Identify the verb by underlining it. List all of the transformations. Identity the pattern by
11. Doesn’t your dog ever sleep?
transformations?__do—auxiliary; interrogative; negative____ pattern ___6__
12. How insightful this talk seems to its audience!
transformations?__exclamatory________________________ pattern __4___
13. Isn’t the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco?
transformations?___interrogative; negative________________ pattern __1___
14. It is Tolkien who has always been my favorite author. (2 clauses—both same pattern)
transformations?__it-cleft_____________________________ pattern __3___
15. Wasn’t Clark Gable once considered Hollywood’s sexiest actor?
transformations?_passive; interrogative; negative________ pattern __10___
16. Wasn’t Patrick frightened by the grammar test?
transformations?__ passive; interrogative; negative ______ pattern ___7__
17. We were not awarded the contract for that book.
transformations?__passive; negative____________________ pattern __8___
18. Were they angry with you or with him?
transformations?__interrogative_________________________ pattern ___2__
19. What a fabulous skater she became!
transformations?__exclamatory__________________________ pattern ___5__
20. Why did the janitor repaint the blackboards green?
transformations?__interrogative; do-auxiliary_______________ pattern __9___
Be able to define:
linking verb determiner preposition headword
prescriptivism imperative adjective exclamatory adverb indirect object object complement direct object subject complement intransitive verb active voice transitive verb passive voice qualifier
modal cleft sentence auxiliary expletive
indicative objective case subjunctive possessive case tense subjective case aspect there transformation case emphatic sentence