CONSTITUTION OF THE
“Michigan Skydive and BASE”
We, the members of the “Michigan Skydive and BASE” club, in order to provide an opportunity for University of Michigan students and associated community to learn and practice the modern sport of skydiving and B.A.S.E. jumping, do establish this constitution.
ARTICLE I – NAME
The official name of the organization will be “Michigan Skydive and BASE,” henceforth referred to as “Michigan Skydive and BASE” and may also be known as the “Wolverine Skydiving.”
ARTICLE II – PURPOSE
“Michigan Skydive and BASE” is established to give an opportunity to learn and excel in the sport of skydiving using United States Parachute Association (USPA) guidelines to promote safety. It is also established to give club members an opportunity to socialize, and gain valuable experiences.
“Michigan Skydive and BASE” understands and is committed to fulfilling its responsibilities of abiding by University of Michigan policies and procedures.
ARTICLE III – MEMBERSHIP
“Michigan Skydive and BASE” does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, personal appearance, age, national origin, political affiliation, physical or mental disability, or on the basis of the exercise of rights secured by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution.
Membership is established by contacting any E-board member and relaying ones intent to join. Active membership is established by submission of that semester dues set forth by the president the semester before.
You must be at least 18 years old and weigh under the designated USPA weight requirement to participate in any skydive or BASE jumps
In order to participate in club activities, activity fees may be asked as set forth by the President.
Voluntary withdrawal will consist of an e-mail or written letter to a current club officer. Membership dues in this case will not be refunded.
ARTICLE IV – OFFICERS
“Michigan Skydive and BASE” will be governed by the following means:
1. An elected President (or other designated officer) will preside at all meetings of “Michigan Skydive and BASE.” The President will maintain the power to appoint all committee chairpersons, coordinate club activities, and communicate with all officers and club advisors. He/she must be present at 75% of the meetings of “Michigan Skydive and BASE.” The President must approve all financial transactions before payment is made.
2. “Michigan Skydive and BASE” may also maintain a Vice President. The Vice President’s duties shall be to preside at all meetings and functions that the President cannot attend. In addition he/she assists the president in completing club objectives.
3. A Treasurer will be maintained. This person will have the duties of collecting dues, paying bills, oversee other monetary transactions including fundraising activities, and advising other officers and club members on financial matters. He/she must make available all financial records to registered members of the previous semester.
4. “Michigan Skydive and BASE” may maintain a Secretary who will have the duties of maintaining a current membership list, record issues and decisions of all meetings, and provide new members with all relevant club information. 5. The Public Relations Officer may maintain a club scrapbook, coordinate club promotional activities, coordinate fund raising, provide local media with pertinent club information, and maintain the club’s web page.
6. The SGA Liaison maintains relations between the Michigan Skydive and BASE and the Student Government Association.
ARTICLE V. OPERATIONS
All student members (undergraduate, graduate and professional) of the Michigan Skydive and BASE who have maintained membership longer than one semester and are in good standing are eligible for office as long as it does not conflict with any other positions that will be held at the same time.
Officers will be elected by means of secret ballot in late April as the meeting is scheduled. Since club administration is primarily the responsibility of students, only student members (undergraduate, graduate and professional) will have voting privileges. Dues are not required for voting, active membership. The candidate with the most votes shall be elected and take office at the end of winter spring term.
The advisor shall oversee the “Michigan Skydive and BASE” in accordance to UM and USPA rules and regulations.
All elected officers shall serve a term of one year, beginning at the end of the spring semester. There are no limits on terms of office as long as the club members agree through election.
ARTICLE VI. REGISTRATION RENEWAL
“Michigan Skydive and BASE” will apply to the University of Michigan MSA for
registration on an annual basis within one month after “Michigan Skydive and BASE’s” new officer elections.
This constitution must be reviewed every two years.
ARTICLE VII. FINANCES
This organization shall raise money through all legal means defined by the University of Michigan MSA. This includes, but is not limited to: 1. Direct funding through the Michigan Student Assembly.
2. Membership Fees.
Improper use of allocated funding by any member may result in penalties including disassociation with club sponsored events and legal action if required. Improper use includes theft of club funds, exploitation for personal gain and use of funds without majority support.
The Treasurer is responsible for the Michigan Skydive and BASE’s finances.
ARTICLE VIII. AMENDMENTS
Amendments will be proposed by posting the text of the proposed amendment on the Michigan Skydive and BASE website and via an email to the current Michigan Skydive and BASE mailing list. The President will be responsible for receiving proposed amendments and posting them.
Amendments to this Constitution may be proposed by any voting member of the Michigan Skydive and BASE.
A minimum of two weeks is required before voting on any proposed amendment. Qualifications for passage for an amendment and voting procedures will be determined on a case-by-case basis by the Michigan Skydive and BASE officers.
ARTICLE IX. REMOVAL OF MEMBERSHIP
Officers may be removed for the following reasons:
1. Fraud or criminal activity relating to the Michigan Skydive and BASE. 2. 90% of club members deem him/her unfit.
3. Inactivity or non-attendance to club meetings or events for longer than one semester.
4. Violations to Michigan Skydive and BASE constitution.
For the proper removal of the officer, a written request by at least four members must be presented to the lead advisor. This will result in the officer in question being notified and a formal meeting for this request being formed. The officer in question must be present and will require a majority of members.
Members may be removed for the following reasons:
1. Violations of established University policies.
2. Criminal activity towards another Michigan Skydive and BASE member.
Members may be removed by a consensus vote of the club officers or a majority vote of current club members.
ARTICLE X. DUES
Dues are set each semester by the acting president.
ARTICLE XI. STATEMENT OF COMPLIANCE
Our organization has read and fully complies with the University's policies. We understand that the organization's registration is contingent on acceptance of these policies.
“Michigan Skydive and BASE” is not responsible for any injury, death, loss of property, individual/group member’s actions, or individual/groups not acting with accordance to “Michigan Skydive and BASE” rules and regulations. “Michigan Skydive and BASE” shall maintain all Michigan and United States laws and regulations.