DIVISION OF OCCUPATIONAL HEALTH AND SAFETY
OFFICE SAFETY CHECKLIST
Institute: Facility: Survey Date:
Building/Rooms covered on this checklist:
During the survey of the designated area, complete the checklist below. Check N/A if the item does not apply.
COMMENTS CORRECTIVE ACTION TAKEN CORRECTION BASIC LIFE SAFETY YES NO N/A
COMPLETED 1. Are exit signs illuminated and visible?
2. Are corridors and exits free from obstructions and unlocked?
3. Access to exit doesn’t require travel through high hazard area?
4. Stairways are in good repair with handrails and non-slip tread?
5. Stairways are not being used for storage?
6. Stairway steps are uniform in size?
7. Is the Emergency Evacuation Route & Action Plan posted?
8. Are exit doors closed and not propped open?
9. Is there no obvious damage to sprinklers?
10. Are fire extinguishers easily accessible, checked
monthly, and operational?
11. Are fire extinguishers mounted so that the travel
distance from employees to any extinguisher is 75 feet
COMMENTS CORRECTIVE ACTION TAKEN CORRECTION GENERAL OFFICE SAFETY YES NO N/A
COMPLETED 1. Are aisles, doorways and corners free of obstructions to permit visibility and movement?
2. Lighting in work areas and walkways adequate?
3. Are chairs in safe condition and are caster, rungs and legs sturdy?
4. Are all equipment and supplies in their proper places?
5. Is there adequate walking and egress clearance?
a. 44” for corridors and stairways.
b. 36” for aisles.
c. 32” for doors.
6. Are carts, dollies, etc. available for use in transporting heavy objects and boxes?
7. Is housekeeping being adequately maintained?
8. Are MSDS available for office and housekeeping chemicals?
9. Are OSHA posters prominently displayed?
COMMENTS CORRECTIVE ACTION TAKEN CORRECTION TRIP/FALL HAZARDS YES NO N/A
COMPLETED 1. Is the floor surface level and undamaged?
2. The floor is not wet or slippery?
a. A warning sign is available in case of spills?
b. Cleanup supplies are readily available?
c. Non-slip mats are in entryways if needed?
COMMENTS CORRECTIVE ACTION TAKEN CORRECTION (continued) YES NO N/A TRIP/FALL HAZARDS
COMPLETED 3. Are carpeted areas clean, carpets secured to floor and free of worn or frayed seams?
4. Is any equipment or supplies protruding into walkways?
5. Are there cords or cables causing a trip hazard?
6. Are permanent use cords covered by runners when crossing walkways?
7. Is a step stool or ladder available to minimize the use of chairs for reaching high objects?
COMMENTS CORRECTIVE ACTION TAKEN CORRECTION ELECTRICAL YES NO N/A
COMPLETED 1. Are GFCI outlets within 6 feet of a water source?
2. Is access to electrical panels or electrical room unobstruction (at least 36”)?
3. Are outlets overloaded?
4. Extension cords are not used in lieu of fixed wiring?
5. A maximum of one power strip per electrical receptacle is used? (no daisy chains)
6. Electrical cords and plugs are in good condition? (i.e., not frayed, taped, spliced, or missing ground prongs)
7. Electrical receptacles are in good working condition?
8. All electrical equipment in good working condition?
9. Are electrical closets free of storage?
COMMENTS CORRECTIVE ACTION TAKEN CORRECTION (continued) YES NO N/A ELECTRICAL
COMPLETED 10. Are personal appliances such as space heaters or coffee
makers compliant with the buildings electrical circuit
11. Are space heaters equipped with a multi-directional tip-
12. Are space heaters equipped with an overheat sensor?
COMMENTS CORRECTIVE ACTION TAKEN CORRECTION MAINTENANCE (outside and inside) YES NO N/A
COMPLETED 1. Are doors and locks in good working order?
2. Are ceiling tiles intact, undamaged and in place?
3. Are there no signs of weather damage or mold growth in the facility?
4. Are all windows unbroken and free from any type of damage?
5. Do air conditioning vents and ducts appear to be clean upon visual inspection?
6. Are outside lights in good working order?
7. Does the exterior of the building present no safety concern?
8. Is the parking lot area free of any safety concern? (i.e. overgrown landscaping, uneven pavement, traffic
Additional comments: ________________________________________________________________________________________________________