DOC

Minutes - sunderland partnership - lsp

By Kristen Sims,2014-04-19 16:19
12 views 0
Minutes - sunderland partnership - lsp

Delivery and Improvement Board

     thMinutes of meeting held Wednesday 8 December, 2pm, St Thomas St, Sunderland

Present:

    Stephen Taylor (Chair) Sunderland Partnership Jessica May Sunderland Partnership Sal Buckler Attractive and Inclusive City Partnership

    David Donkin University of Sunderland Gillian Gibson Healthy City Partnership Nigel Harrett Sunderland City College Dee O’Hagan Job Centre Plus

    Dean Huggins Sunderland Community Network Keith Moore Children’s Trust

    Carol Parkes Northumbria Police

    Andrew Perkin Prosperous City Partnership Sarah Reed Sunderland City Council June Robinson Sunderland Community Network Julie Smith Safer Sunderland Partnership John Walker Gentoo

Also Present:

    Andrew Copland Sunderland Partnership Sarah Thompson Sunderland Partnership

In Attendance

    William Wallace UK Border Agency

    Colin Flynn UK Border Agency

Apologies:

    John Allison Tyne and Wear Fire and Rescue Kathy Bland Sunderland City College Lynda Brown Sunderland Learning Partnership Nonnie Crawford Healthy City Partnership Mike Foster Sunderland Learning Partnership Carol Harries City Hospitals Sunderland NHS FT Neil Reveley Adult Social Care Partnership

Page 1 of 6

     1. Presentation on Local Immigration Teams by Wallace Wilson, Home Office

     Wallace Wilson (WW) and Colin Flynn (CF) from the UK Border Agency gave a

     presentation on the work of local immigration teams (attached). Stephen Taylor (ST) then invited those present to ask questions. Sarah Buckler (SB), asked in her role as the Prevent Lead how the United Kingdom Boarder Agency worked with housing, refugee and counter terrorism agencies. SB noted her concern that there had been a few occasions when vulnerable persons had been placed in areas of far right activity.

    WW responded that the local UKBA team does not tend to get involved once an

     individual is classed as a refugee. If the agency believes there is a requirement for a

     counter terrorism approach they will contact Special Branch. Housing issues are

     handled by a private company which should check that the chosen property and area is suitable for the placed individual or family. WW noted that Colin Flynn from the Gateway project would be happy to attend any future Prevent meetings to aid WW Partnership working. Julie Smith (JS) also highlighted that the DIB had recently been briefed on values and myth busting showing that ingrained beliefs shared by a community are very hard to change. WW recognised this and noted that the North East Strategic Migration group was explicitly looking at myth-busting issues.

     Keith Moore (KM) raised the issue of Safeguarding and whether relevant training was

     received by local immigration teams. WW noted that he was now happy with the safeguarding training that all staff received who had direct contact with children or vulnerable adults as part of their role. This would be augmented by further training. WW did however recognise that there were still gaps which had been highlighted following a recent serious case review. These would be addressed. Carol Parkes (CP) noted that the Police were re-structuring locally and it would be good to have a contact name for future dialogue. WW said that he would arrange WW

     this.

     John Walker (JW) asked why the figures changed from 2000 to 2010. WW

     responded that this was due to historical dispersements to take the pressure off the south and to reflect new contractual arrangements for placements ST thanked everybody for their contributions and noted that Delivery Partnerships DP might want to reflect on individual issues at their future meetings. leads 2. Welcome and Introductions ST welcomed the group and apologies were noted as above. There were no conflicts of interest to declare.

     ST asked the meeting to formally thank Lynda Brown and recognise her contribution

     to the Partnership over the years and to wish her every success in her new role with Stockton Borough Council. Page 2 of 6

     3. Minutes of the Previous Meeting

     3.1 Matters Arising Jessica May (JM) noted that the meeting with Vince Taylor was still to be arranged JM and that this would be informed by the Child Poverty Agenda. Delivery Partnership Update: JS suggested some alternative wording to corrective the previous minutes and these were as follows:

    Safer Sunderland: JS commented that the Safer Sunderland Partnership was

     continuing its process of de-cluttering and its delivery groups would be considering a

     range of options. This would include looking at the approach that had recently been

     taken by the Local Criminal Justice Board which had removed its delivery groups and replaced them with a task and finish group approach. JS added that in terms of policy and strategy developments, the SSP was waiting for a number of Bills, Strategies and Green Papers to be released including the Police Reform Bill, the reform of licensing, the consultation on the rehabilitation revolution and the new drugs strategy. Further discussion would take place in December and January once these were published. JS also advised that Spencer Chainey from the Jill Dando Institute was now seconded to the SSP for 4 days a month until March 2011 to help the partners improve and further develop their intelligence products and problem

     profiles. In terms of changes in crime, there were still concerns around the rise in

     domestic burglary in some areas of the city and the increase in most serious

     violence had continued. This was still an area of concern despite the numbers being small and it had been linked to both alcohol in the night time economy and domestic violence 4. Performance and Risk Report (Sarah Thompson, Sunderland Partnership) Sarah Thompson (STh) reminded the group that whilst LAA targets and actions were still being monitored until the end of March 2011, the national requirement to do so has now ended. It would be important to have new performance targets in place that were relevant to local actions and priorities and that the process for developing these

     should commence in January if not before.

     In the following discussion it was noted that it would be important to ensure that targets were sensitive enough to show change, were informed by previous learning, occurred over a longer time period and also reflected the additional values brought by Partnership working. ST felt that the process should end in a smaller number of targets with much better processes in place to track ongoing performance and to keep activities under review.

     Sarah Reed (SR), Assistant Chief Executive, noted that as everybody else moved

     away from the national indicators it would be increasingly difficult to do national

     comparisons. Comparisons could be made at an international level instead with peer

     cities or networks. SR suggested that, to assist in preparation for the January meeting, STh forward to the group a reminder of the key outcomes that Sunderland Partnership currently Page 3 of 6

     report on. The January session will commence revision of performance monitoring

     arrangements however this will be expanded upon further at Away Day.

     th ST felt it would be important to have the views of the DPs for the January 12 meeting. JS noted that the Safer Sunderland Partnership would not be in a position to have a view until after January; ST noted this and said that the process in January would be a beginning and not an end point. KM also noted this and reflected that changes in education and health policy would continue throughout the year adding to the difficulty of creating relevant and realistic targets.

     The group agreed to review and agree the Partnership Risk Register. Each Delivery

     Group should incorporate relevant Delivery Action Plans to be taken forward. 5. VCS Engagement (Stephen Taylor, Sunderland Partnership) ST informed the group that VCA Sunderland (previously VCS) had given notice in November to withdraw from a contract to provide third sector representation into the area committees.

    Representatives will however continue to be present in the meantime and Graham Burt will be facilitating three network events to discuss how engagement with the

     sector can be improved.

     In addition ST was hoping that it would be possible to identify a liaison person from the VCS to work with the Partnership for a few days over the next few months. SB felt that the principle was sound but that care would have to be taken not to weaken the sector further by removing capacity. June Robinson (JR) said that she was surprised not to have known that this issue was being discussed at the meeting. ST responded that this was a new proposition and he was inviting the DIB to express their views about the desirability of such a position.

     JR added that the network groups had been developing service models to aid the

     representation of the sector and that this should be complete by January 2011. It was agreed that expressions of interest from the VCS be invited and that hopefully a suitable candidate could be in place by 2011. thJessica May, informed the group that Mark Bewick will join the Partnership w/c 13 December as an Intern to assist with the development of the website; this will incorporate inclusion of SCN Sunderland.

     6. The Public Health White Paper (Gillian Gibson, SPCT)

     Gillian Gibson (GG) gave a brief presentation (attached) on the above. GG noted

     that the key points were: That the paper is essentially a response to the Marmot Review of Inequalities with references to a number of other papers to be published in the near future. The paper Page 4 of 6

     uses the definition of public health as that used by the Faculty of Public Health and

     covers three domains; Health Improvement, Health Protection and Health Services.

     The paper also uses a life model to define the role of Public Health. These are defined as Starting Well (examining early interventions in families). The report then leads onto Developing Well (schooling and mental health), Living Well (alcohol, tobacco, and sexual health), Working Well (about creating a health workforce) and finally Ageing Well with a focus on integration. There will be new Public Health responsibilities for councils and GP Commissioners. At a national level there will be Public Health England and the NHS commissioning Board. There will be a statutory Health and Well Being Boards with representation

     from elected reps, the DPH, DASS, DCS, Healthwatch (the replacement for LINKS

     and the national commissioning board. There will be a shadowing process through

     2011/2012 with all bodies live by April 2013. NC / There were a number of consultation questions and a broad response was GG anticipated by NC/GG. ST asked that a template be circulated for contributions form the wider Partnership. NC / thST requested that the same presentation be given to the Board on January 18. GG

    7. Away Day (Jessica May, Sunderland Partnership)

     JM noted that the DIB away day would take place in early March 2011 and that the

    JM likely venue would be Derwent Hill. An email would be circulated to find a suitable

     date. 8. Delivery Partnership Update Attractive and Inclusive SB gave an update on the Progress of the Green Infrastructure Plan. The Chair of the Delivery Partnership has also been invited to attend the Environment and thAttractive Scrutiny Committee on Monday 13, December 2010, to discuss Sunderland-the place. There had also been discussions re. Marmot and how this

     holistic approach could be incorporated into future planning. In addition the

     governance arrangements would be addressed as agreed in the Action Log.

     Healthy No meeting had taken place since the last DIB Prosperous The group was still processing and managing change, developing the WNF exit strategy and working with DWP on the Implementing Work programme. The Partnership is also bidding for ERDF to expand the WNF enterprise strand. In

     addition, the Economic Master Plan has been launched; various groups are now

     looking at the four Key Aims in more detail to identify implementation and funding of

     key activities. Governance arrangements are also being reviewed

     A survey will be carried out early in 2011 asking local businesses about their future skills needs across the City. Work planned for the future includes: Page 5 of 6

     ; Development of area committee projects

     ; Development of the Local Enterprise Partnership and the Regional Growth Fund ; Understanding the implications of One North East closing down. JM asked what future funding there would be for enterprise support in Sunderland. AP noted that this was a major problem and that currently there was nothing to replace previous funds.

     9. AOB

     There was no other business

     11.Date and Time of Next Meeting thWednesday 12 January 2011, 1 pm, St Thomas Street Office Centre

Page 6 of 6

Report this document

For any questions or suggestions please email
cust-service@docsford.com