ADMINISTRATIVE REGULATION NO. 4022 (a)
Signs prohibiting the use of tobacco shall be prominently displayed at all entrances to school property. The District’s tobacco-free schools policy will also be announced at athletic events.
The Superintendent or designee shall notify employees of the District’s tobacco-free schools policy.
The notification shall also inform them of:
1. Their need to abide by District policy as a condition of employment.
2. The dangers of tobacco use in the workplace, including its threat to the health and safety of
employees, students, and the public.
3. Information about smoking cessation support programs shall be made available and
encouraged for staff.
4. Possible disciplinary actions in accordance with Board policy, state law, and applicable
collective bargaining agreements.
5. Inform parents, students, and the larger community about the tobacco-free schools policy
and enforcement procedures.
Enforcement Procedures for Community Members
Community members who smoke on District property shall be informed of the District’s
tobacco-free schools policy and asked to refrain from smoking. Every attempt will be made to keep the contact between the community member and the school employee as non-confrontational as possible. It is not the intent of this policy to put the District employee charged with enforcing this policy at risk of personal injury. If the person fails to comply with this request, the following actions may ensue:
1. The matter may be referred to the Superintendent or designee responsible for the area or the
2. If the person fails to refrain when so requested by the Superintendent or designee, the
Superintendent or designee may direct him/her to leave school property.
3. If necessary, the Superintendent or designee may request local law enforcement assistance in
removing the person from school premises.
ADMINISTRATIVE REGULATION NO. 4022 (b)
4. When individuals repeatedly violate the tobacco-free schools policy, the Superintendent or
designee may prohibit them from entering District property for a specified period of time.
Date Established: January 26, 1993
Date Revised: June 10, 2004