SECTION 09 / GUIDE SPECIFICATION FOR ；ROBBINS’ BIO-CHANNEL STAR SYSTEM
(Fully DIN Certified – DIN 18032 part 2)
(Anchored and Resilient)
A. Related work specified under other sections. (A cross-reference should be incorporated in these sections.) 1. Concrete Slab Depression: 2” (52mm) using 25/32” (20mm) flooring.
2. Concrete Tolerance: 1/8” (3mm) in radius of 10’ (3m) surface--steel troweled.
3. Concrete and Concrete Finishing ............................................................................................. Section 03300
NOTES: Concrete shall be a minimum of 2,500 psi (17,225 MPa) and a maximum of 3,500 psi (24,120
MPa) compressive strength after 28 days.
Concrete shall be free of washed river gravel, pea gravel, flint or hardener additives.
No lightweight concrete.
4. Membrane Water-proofing and Damp-proofing........................................................................ Section 07100
a. Concrete subfloors on or below grade shall be adequately waterproofed beneath and at the perimeter of
the slab and on the earth side of below grade walls.
b. Sand-Poly-Sand slab construction is not an acceptable construction.
5. Thresholds-Metal .................................................................................................................... Section 08700
6. Game Standard Inserts ............................................................................................................. Section 11500
1.02 QUALITY ASSURANCE
A. Floor System Manufacturer Qualifications
1. Manufacturer shall be an established firm experienced in field and have been in business for a minimum of
ten (10) years; Robbins, Inc. or an approved equal.
B. Floor Contractor/Installer Qualifications
1. Flooring contractor shall be a firm experienced in flooring field and approved by manufacturer. 2. Submit a list of at least three completed projects of similar magnitude and complexity. C. Floor System shall pass all six DIN requirements under DIN 18032 part 2, as certified by third-party testing. D. Surface Appearance (Available option)
1. Expansion spaces will not exceed 1/64” (0.4mm) at time of installation and will be spread evenly across the
floor with each row of flooring.
2. Expansion spacing will be installed to allow for normal expected increases in Equilibrium Wood Moisture
A. Manufacturer's Product Data
1. Submit certification that floor system to be provided has been tested by an independent agency verifying that
the flooring sytstem meets or exceeds all six of the minimum standards as established by DIN 18032, part 2. 2. Submit Robbins Bio-Channel Star specification sheet.
1. Submit sample of Bio-Channel Star, if requested by architect.
C. Maintenance Literature
1. Submit copy of Maintenance Instructions.
1. Suppliers shall submit certificates attesting that materials furnished will meet specifications for grade, quality,
dryness and treatment, if required.
1.04 DELIVERY, STORAGE AND HANDLING
A. Delivery of Materials
1. Materials shall not be delivered, stored or installed until all masonry, painting, plastering tile work, marble
and terrazzo work are complete and all overhead mechanical work, lighting, backstops, scoreboards are
installed. Room temperature of 55 to 80 degrees Fahrenheit (13 to 27;Celsius) and relative humidity of
35-50 % are to be maintained. Ideal installation/storage conditions are the same as those that will prevail
when building is occupied.
2. Materials shall not be stored at the installation location if the concrete slab vapor transmission exceeds 4.5
pounds per 1,000 square feet (2.20 kg per 100 square meters).
1.05 JOB CONDITIONS-SEQUENCY
A. Do not install floor system until concrete has been cured 60 days and the requirements in paragraph 1.04 A-1 are obtained.
B. Permanent heat, light and ventilation shall be installed and operating during and after installation. Maintain a
temperature range of 55 to 80 degrees Fahrenheit (13 to 27 degrees Celsius) and a relative humidity range of 35 to 50%.
C. After floors are finished, area to be kept locked by general contractor to allow curing time for the finish. If after required curing time general contractor or owner requires use of gym, he shall protect the floor by covering with non-fibered kraft paper or red rosin paper with taped joints, until acceptance by owner (or owner’s agent) of complete gymnasium floor.
A. Guarantee shall not cover damage caused in whole or in part by casualty, ordinary wear and tear, abuse, use for which material is not designed, faulty construction of the building, settlement of the building walls, failure of the other contractors to adhere to specifications, separation of the concrete slab and excessive dryness or excessive moisture from humidity, spillage, migration through the slab or wall, or any other source. B. Robbins, Inc. hereby warrants the Bio-Channel Star material to be free from manufacturing defects for a period
of 1 year. This warranty is in lieu of all other warranties, expressed or implied including but not limited to any warranty of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose, and of any other obligations on the part of Robbins. In the event of breach of any warranty, the liability of Robbins shall be limited to repairing or replacing Bio-Channel Star material and system components supplied by Robbins and proven to be defective in manufacture, and shall not include any other damages, either direct or consequential.
1. 6-mil polyethylene
B. Bio-Channel Star System
1. Robbins Bio-Channel Star Subfloor Assembly consisting of Zero/G? shock pad, Factory prepared
continuous subfloor panels and factory-drilled, anchor channels. Subfloor panels shall be factory prepared for
proper channel placement before anchoring.
a. Flooring – 1-?” (37mm) barbed cleats or equivalent. ?b. Channel anchors – Powers SPIKEanchors.
a. 2-?” (57mm) width x 25/32” (20mm) thick, Traditional Grade, Tongue and Grooved, End-matched, Kiln ?Dried Continuous Strip XL Northern Hard strip maple flooring as manufactured by Robbins and ndgraded to exceed MFMA-FJ 2 & Better standards.
C. Perimeter Base - Robbins 3” x 4” (76mm x 99mm) ventilating type. (Specify black or brown)
D. Finishing Materials
1. Robbins Miracle oil modified polyurethane sealer and finish.
2. Gameline paint(s) shall be recommended by the finishing materials manufacturer, and must be compatible
with the floor finishing system.
A. Inspect concrete subfloor for proper tolerance and dryness, and report any discrepancies to the general contractor in writing. Slab will be level to within 1/8” (3mm) in a 10’ (3m) radius, and the slab moisture vapor transmission will not exceed 4.5 pounds per 1,000 square feet (2.20 kg per 100 square meters). B. All work required to put the concrete subfloor in acceptable condition shall be the responsibility of the general contractor.
C. Subfloor should be broom cleaned by general contractor.
A. Robbins Bio-Channel Star System
1. Install polyethylene film over concrete subfloor, overlapping edges 6” (150mm) minimum.
2. Install Zero/G? shock pad over 6-mil poly.
3. Following manufacturer’s guidelines, place Bio-Channel Star subfloor assembly in end-to-end manner,
staggering end joints in adjacent rows. Allow for a ?” (6mm) gap between panels. Panels shall be placed on a diagonal to the direction of the maple floor. Provide 1-?” to 2" (40 to 50mm) expansion void at the
perimeter and all vertical obstructions.
4. Place anchor channel in each factory-prepared location in the panel.
5. Anchor each anchor channel in the center pre-drilled hole only, unless trimming at wall or vertical obstruction requires relocation in adjacent location to anchor.
6. Machine fasten Continuous Strip XL maple flooring to the Bio-Channel Star subfloor assembly with end joints properly driven up. Use Robbins recommendation standard for nailing schedule on continuous subfloor systems.
OPTION: Expansion rows shall be evenly distributed with each row of flooring, with each space not to exceed 1/64” (0.4mm).
7. Provide additional spacing for humidity conditions in specific regions. (Consult your local Robbins “certified” contractor).
8. Provide 1-?” to 2" (40 to 50mm) expansion void at the perimeter and all vertical obstructions.
1. Sand flooring in accordance with manufacturers guidelines for specific products.
a. After sanding with drum sander, buff entire floor using 100-grit screen or equal grit sandpaper, with a
heavy-duty buffing machine.
b. Vacuum or tack floor before first coat of finish.
c. Floor shall present a smooth surface without drum stop marks, gouges, streaks or shiners. C. Finishing
1. Gymnasiums (delete if not applicable)
a. Apply 1 coat of Robbins Miracle Sealer and 2 coats of Robbins Miracle Finish.
b. Screen and vacuum and/or tack between each coat after it dries; apply game lines accurately after the seal
coat, after buffing and vacuuming. Layout in accordance with drawings. For game lines, use current
rules of association having jurisdiction. Lines shall be straight with sharp edges in colors selected by
2. Stages and Auditoriums (delete if not applicable)
a. Apply 2 or more coats of penetrating sealer, buffed in accordance with manufacturer’s instructions in
order to provide a low gloss, flat finish. We recommend that stages be finished in walnut or darker colors
for theatrical performance.
D. Perimeter Base Molding
1. Install Robbins vent cove base anchored to walls with base cement or screws and anchors. Use pre-molded outside corners and neatly mitered inside corner.
E. Clean up all unused materials and debris and remove it from the premises.