Speed, Velocity, Acceleration (PS. 10a)
Test Date: _________________
Essential Concepts and Skills Assignments
Starter Quizzes 1 & 2
Speed, Velocity, Acceleration (PS. 10 a) Project, Labs
o Students will make measurements to calculate the speed of a moving Notes
object. Pages: 108-114
o Be able to apply concepts of speed, velocity, and acceleration, when v
; Speed is the rate at which an object moves.
; Acceleration is the change in velocity over a time frame. An
object moving at a constant velocity has no acceleration. A
decrease in velocity is negative acceleration or deceleration. An
increase in velocity is positive acceleration. Objects moving with
circular motion are constantly accelerating because direction (and
hence velocity) is constantly changing.
o Mathematical formulas are used to calculate speed & acceleration
; Speed = distance/time
; Acceleration = final velocity- initial velocity/change in time
o Be able to interpret speed and acceleration graphs. (PS .1i)
Speed, Velocity, Acceleration Study Guide
1. Give the unit
2. You train for a race and sprint for 60 seconds a distance you know to be 300 m away.
Solve for speed.
3. Draw a speed graph that shows a constant speed. Tell how another graph would look
different if the car were travelling at a constant speed that was faster than the one
shown on your graph.
4. In a car, you change your motion from 15 m/s to 20 m/s . You have changed you (speed,
velocity, acceleration). CHOOSE WHICHEVER IS/ARE APPROPRIATE.
5. How much time will it take a car travelling 75 m/h to go a distance of 500 m?
6. Identify factors that impact
7. Differentiate between constant and changing velocity.
8. Be able to interpret a graph… draw a positive & negative acceleration graph
9. Draw an acceleration graph where someone speeds up at a constant rate, then travels
at a constant speed, then speeds up again at a constant rate that was slower than the
10. Tell what happens that causes acceleration to be negative.
11. In a race, you run with a velocity of 10 m/s south. Five seconds later, your velocity is 25
m/s south. What is your acceleration?
12. What does it mean to say that an object is not accelerating? That it is accelerating?