Unit 5 Meeting your ancestors
Warming Up 先让学生熟悉照片?然后导入要学的内容?并激发学生的兴趣。
Learning about Language部分设计了一些针对性练习?以期增强学生对本单元语言的学习。其中本部分要求学生掌握的语法是现在完成进行时。
Summing UP 主要是对本单元进行概括总结。
第一课时?Warming Up, Listening (Workbook) & Talking (Workbook)
第二、三课时?Pre-reading, Reading & Comprehending
第四、五课时?Learning about language
第六、七课时?Reading and speaking(Using Language), Speaking and writing (Using
Language) & Listening and speaking (Using Language)
Period 1 Warming Up, Listening (Workbook) & Talking (Workbook)
1.To introduce Ss to some archaeological finds.
2.To develop Ss speaking ability. Teaching Procedures:
Purpose: To activate Ss and arouse them to express their opinions about archeological questions.
Ask Ss to talk about the following questions.
(1) Have you ever seen any antiques? What are they?
(2) How are the antiques used?
(3) What are today’s alternatives of the antiques?
Step 2. Warming Up
Purpose: To lead Ss to the topic of this unit.
1. Ask Ss to look at the four pictures of Warming Up on P37 and think about the alternatives today?
2. Divide Ss into four groups and ask them complete the form of Warming Up
3. Ask Ss to talk about the following questions and encourage Ss to give some information about archaeology.
(1) What does the object tell us about the life of people who use it?
(2) What skill does it show the people had?
4. Ask Ss to look at the outline of archaeology and discuss it.
The job of archaeologists
The study of ancient The life of early civilizations Archaeology people
The life and times of life in Ancient Egypt The evidence from the
long dead people zhoukoudian caves
Archaeology is the ancient civilizations by scientific analysis of physical remains found in the ground. But unlike history it often has to deal with civilizations that have no written records. So it is the job of archaeologists to try to find out as much as they can about the life and time of long dead people by looking at the place where they lived, what they wore, what tools they used and how they buried their dead.
Step 3. Pre-Listening
Purpose: To help Ss learn about the context of the Listening part.
1. Group Work
(1) Ask Ss to look at the following picture and talk about the questions.
? Who was the person in the picture?
? Can you say something about him?
(2) After talking, ask Ss to present their opinions to all classmates. Step 4: Listening (Workbook)
Purpose: To get the main information in the listening part.
. To develop Ss’s listening ability
To learn something about the preservation of the Terracotta Warriors. 1. Ask Ss to listen to the tape and try to get the main idea of the listening text. 2. Ask Ss to answer the following questions.
(1) What is the first problem?
(2) What is the solution to the first problem?
(3) What is the second problem?
(4) What is the solution to the second problem?
3. Ask Ss to listen to the tape for the second time and finish Ex2 on P78. 4. Play the tape again and ask Ss to finish Ex3 on P79 in pairs. 5. Ask Ss to listen again and check the answers.
Step 5. Talking (Workbook)
Purpose: To get Ss to talk about how they could help save one of China’s greatest archaeological
(1) Ask Ss to think about these questions and then present their views to all classmates.
? Do you like archaeology?
? Why do you like archaeology?
? How much information have you collected about archaeology?
(2) Ask Ss to discuss the questions below with their partners.
? What kind of qualities should an archaeologist have?
? If they want to succeed in their career, what difficulties should they overcome?
Purpose: To get Ss to talk about something about archaeological treasure.
(1) Show some pictures and ask Ss the following questions. (换图?秦皇墓)
? Do you know what it is?
? Is it a magnificent archaeological site?
? Is it valuable to us?
(2) Ask Ss to discuss the following question.
What can we do to preserve the tomb of Emperor Qin Shihuang?
I think that we should „ because„ What if „? I suggest we„
If „ then maybe we ought to Perhaps we should/could„
It seems likely/unlike that „ We must ask for help from„
(3) After the discussion, ask some pairs to present their ways to preserve it and let the whole class
decide which is the best.
Step 6. Homework
1. Ask Ss to continue discussing archaeology with their partners.
2. Ask Ss to get on the line and prepare something for Reading. Periods 2&3 Pre-reading, Reading & Comprehending
1. To give Ss information about one site where early people lived in China.
2. Ito have an insight into the kind of questioning techniques. Teaching Procedures:
Step 1. Pre-reading
Purpose: To arouse Ss’ interest in learning about archaeology.
1. Show some pictures and encourage Ss to give as much information about the pictures as
2. Ask Ss to complete the form of Pre-reading on P37 by discussing in pairs.
3. Ask Ss to look at the following pictures and answer the question.
What can you see from the pictures?
Step 2. Fast reading
Purpose: To get a brief understanding of the text.
(1) Ask Ss to read the text quickly and complete the following form. Object What can be discovered from it ?
Needle 1 They repaired or made clothes.
necklace 1. They cared about their appearance.
Object What can be discovered from it ?
Needle 1 They repaired or made clothes.
2 No methods of making material has been found.
3 Tools have been found to cut and clean animal skins.
conclusion: So early people probably wore animal skins.
necklace 1 They cared about their appearance.
2 Some of the beads were made of animal bones.
conclusion: So early people killed, cut up and most probably ate
3 Some of the beads were made of animal bones.
conclusion: So early people caught and probably ate fish in the nearly
lake (as shown by botanical analyses).
4 Some of the beads were made of seashells.
conclusion: So early people may have travelled to the sea or traded with
people who had seashells.
(2) Get Ss to write down the three stages of the archaeologist’s part of the dialogue.
Stage 1: Life in the cave
Stage 2: What we can learn from a needle
Stage 3: What we can learn from a necklace
Step 3. Intensive reading
Purpose: To get Ss to have some details in the text.
(1) Ask Ss to read the text carefully and try to get some details from the text. Work in pairs and
try to tell which of the following statements are true and which are false and why.
? The archaeologists have only found human and animal bones.
? The archaeologists have been finding the bones of tigers and bears in the caves.
? The needle they used was very useless.
? Early people really care about their appearance.
? F ? T ? F ? T
(2) Ask Ss to take the quiz below and according to the questions, see whether Ss can grasp the details of the text.
?Through the conversation, everything about our earliest people is mentioned
A. homes B. tools C. dress D. entertainment
? Our earliest people in the Zhoukoudian Caves kept themselves warm by ______.
A. working B. fighting C. making fires D. hunting
?Evidence has showed that the earliest people in the Caves used_______ to make clothes
according to the conversation.
A. leaves B. tree skins C. animal skins D. cotton
?The main idea of the text is about the ___ of our earliest people in the Zhoukoudian Caves.
A. life and habits B. food and clothing
C. homes and fishing D. farming and hunting
?From the conversation we can infer that the earliest people in the Caves were very _____.
A. busy and rich B. idle and lazy C. clever and hard-working D. stupid and cruel Suggested Answers:
? D ? C ? C ? A ? C
(3) Ask Ss to finish Ex2 on P39 and discuss their answers.
Step 4. Retelling
Ask Ss to retell the text briefly in the first person with the following words and phrases.
higher up, in the centre of, the bones of tigers and bears, wear clothes, cut up, rub an ample, on their journeys, grow their own crops
We have found human and animal bones in those caves higher up the hill as well as tools and ornaments. We have discovered fireplaces in the centre of the caves where they constuted fires. We have been finding the bones of tigers and bears in the caves. Our evidence suggests they did indeed wear clothes made from animal skins. It seems that they might have used sharpened stone tools to cut up the animals and remove their skin. After that they would have had to rub an ample amount of salt inside the skin trade between early peoples or they traveled to the seaside on their journeys. They didn’t grow their own crops, but picked fruit and killed animals.
Step 5. Word study.
Purpose: To train Ss’s listening ability and language capacity.
Divided into three groups. Each group is supposed to read through each part, and then find the following phrases.
as well as a pleasure to
keep out be aware that
cut up in the centre of
clue to be made of
regardless of be used to do sth
share…with on one'
mean to do
I wonder how… make…soft
continue doing sth move around
Step 6. Sentence study
Explain some important sentences
(1) You must be aware that we’ve found evidence of some of the earliest people who
lived in this part of the world.
(2) So we think it is reasonable to assume they lived in these caves, regardless of the cold.
(3) That would have kept them warm, cooked the food and scared wild animals away as well.
(4) We have been excavating layers of ash almost six meters thick, which suggests that they
might have kept the fire burning all winter.
(5) This one looks very like a fish bone.
(6) That’s why they are called hunters and gatherers.
Step 7. Discussion
Ask Ss to discuss the following questions with their partners and give their own opinions.
(1) How did the earliest people keep warm?
(2) What animals were their most dangerous animals?
(3) Did they grow their own crops?
(1) They set up fireplaces in the centre of the caves and hang animal skins at the cave mouth
to keep out the cold.
(2) Tigers and bears.
(3) No, they didn’t. Encourage Ss to give their opinions.
Step 8. Homework
1. Ask Ss to use the new words and expressions to make some sentences.
2. Ask Ss to write a short passage about the story of the earliest people.
Period 4&5 Learning about Language
Teaching Goals: 1.To enable Ss to master some new words and expressions.
2. To get Ss to have knowledge of this grammar point: the present perfect continuous tense
Step 1.Word study
1. Ask Ss to complete the following sentences according to the notes (1) The event has a far-reaching historical s_______.
(2) ______；不知怎么地~he couldn’t get to sleep.
(3) They will make a s_______；彻底的~search of the city.
(4) The workers are ______；挖掘~a tunnel through the mountain.
(5) We made a careful _______；分析~of the problem.
(1). significance (2) Somehow (3) systematic (4) excavating (5) analysis 2. Ask Ss to choose the best answers to the following questions. (1) We_____ for the bus half an hour, but it has not come yet.
A. have been waiting B. have waited
C. are waiting D. have been waited
(2) You are so late. We ____ you for a whole hour.
A. waited B. had waited C. were waiting for D. have been waiting for (3) He ____ articles for our wall-newspaper the three years, and he _____about thirty articles.
A. has written; has written
B. has been writing; wrote
C. is write; has been writing
D. has been writing; has written
(4) It _____ for two days. The roads will be blocked if it ______ soon.
A. snowed; won’t B. has been snowing; doesn't stop
C. has snowed; won’t stop D. snow ; doesn’t stop
(5) It _____ for two hours and the ground is too wet to play on, so the match______.
A. has been raining; has put off B. has rained; is put off
C. was raining; has been put off D. has been raining; has been put off (6) He wanted to know how this _______.
A. had happened B. happened C. has happened D. has been happening (7) I welcome any change that will _____ something better.
A. lead in B. lead to C. bring in D. bring up (8) I think her ideas are right, but _____ I’m not completely sure.
A. somewhat B. somehow C. somewhere D. sometime
(9) He was late _______ the traffic jam.
A. lead to B. as a result C. as a result of D. because (10) I ______ him, because he often tells lies.
A. think much of B. think highly of
C. think little of D. think high of
(1) A (2) D (3) D (4) B (5) D (6) A (7) B (8) B (9) C (10) C
3. Ask Ss to complete the following sentences with the phrases in the form. in spite of ; think highly of; lead to; take turns to ;refer to; be fed up with
(1) Don’t _____ the dictionary if you come across a new word when you read a passage.
(2) _____ the heavy rain, they went to school as usual.
(3) I _____ his constant complaint about the had condition.
(4) We’d better _____ drive the car , for it’s a long journey. (5) His carelessness _____ an accident. (6) I don’t ________________ her idea.
(1) refer to
(2) In spite of
(3) am/was fed up with
(4) take turns to
(5) led to
(6) think highly of
Step 2. Grammar
Purpose : To get Ss to have knowledge of the grammar point: the present perfect continuous
1. Explain the grammar point for Ss. (1) 现在完成时的“已完成”用法强调动作的完成?而现在完成进行时表示动作未完成。试分析?
I have read David Copperfield.；已看完~
I have been reading the novel.；未看完~
They have built an oil ship.；已造成~
They have been building the oil ship.；未造成~
How long have you learned English?=How long have you been learning English?
I’ve been staying in the hotel for six weeks. 我在这家旅馆一直住了六个星期。
My parents have lived in this city all their lives.
(3) 现在完成时同某些频度副词或数字连用时?表示反复的；可能有间断~动作?现在完成时可以表示反复的不间断动作?不能同表示具体次数和完成事物的具体数字并存。如? I’ve written two letters. 我写了两封信。
I’ve been writing letters. 我一直在写信。
I’ve read this poem six times this evening. I’ve been reading this poem six times this evening.(错句)
He has been talking too much.(表示厌烦)
Someone has been using my pen.(表示埋怨)