初中二年级下册 Module 1 Unit 2 Hobbies can make you grow as a person. II;教学时数；
There are seven activities in this unit. Activity 1 is about the hobbies. Activity 2 demands the
students to use adjective to describe hobbies. Activity 3 is a passage about a special hobby. It
demands the students to understand its meaning. Activity 4 to 7 are exercises for the students to
consolidate what they have learned.
1. To train the students to understand details about hobbies.
2. To train students to understand the benefits of hobbies.
3. To train the ability of introducing classmates’ hobbies in writing.
Use multimedia courseware for teaching.
步骤 目的 教师活动/方法 学生活动/方法 条件/手段 1. Revision To revise what the 1. Introduce one of my 1.Some answer the CAI (5 minutes) students have hobbies to students by questions. ppt
learned in Unit 1. saying: Collecting courseware
stamps is one of my
hobbies. I started doing
in 1980. Collecting
stamps is interesting. I
can learn a lot from it.
2. Have the students
introduce their hobbies
by answering the four
2. Leading in To lead in the 1. Say: Different people Read aloud the words CAI (4 minutes) hobbies and some have different hobbies. and learn the new ppt
of the new words. 2. Show pictures and words with the teacher. courseware
words in Activity 1,
and teach the new
3. Activity 2 To let the students 1. Show pictures and 1. Follow the teacher to CAI (5 minutes) know how to use use the adjectives to use the adjectives to ppt
adjectives to describe the hobbies. describe the hobbies. courseware
describe hobbies. And teach “lazy”. 2. Learn the new word.
2. Activity 2: Ask the 3. Read through the blackboard
students to get into adjectives in the form
pairs to do the activity. and fill the hobbies in
They can share their its proper form
ideas with another pair.
3. Ask the students to
fill in the form. (If
what the students think
is different from the
courseware, use the
4. Activity 1 To lead in 1. Ask the students to Discuss with a partner CAI (2 minutes) Activity 3 say which hobbies they and some of them say ppt
can see in the photos. the correct answers. courseware
2. Have the students to
decide individually and
then discuss with a
5. Activity 3: 1. To lead in the 1. Say: Do you have a 1.Read the passage. CAI Reading (15 passage by using special hobby besides 2. Consult the words ppt minutes) a special hobby the hobbies mentioned and expressions list. courseware
“writing”. above. Guess what a 3. Answer the
2. Have the special hobby I’ll tell questions.
students read the you. Writing, I think 4. Learn the new words
passage without writing is a special and expressions.
teaching them the hobby. David’s special
new words and hobby is writing.
expressions in 2. Have the students
order to train the read the passage and
students’ reading answer the questions,
ability. try their best to
understand its meaning.
3. Ask the students to
consult the words and
expressions list when
they meet new words.
4. Check the students’
answers to the
5. Teach the new words
6. Written To let the students Have the students do 1. Fill in the blanks CAI exercises (8 consolidate the two written exercises. with the right answer. ppt minutes) emphasis of the 2. Rewrite the courseware
unit. sentences using as well
as, such as or as a
7. Listen and To train the Have the students listen Listen to the recording CAI
repeat (4 students’ ability to the recording and and repeat. ppt minutes) of reading aloud. repeat. courseware
8. Summary 1. Learn to understand details about hobbies. CAI (1 minute) 2. Learn to use adjectives to express the benefits of hobbies. ppt
3. Understand the meaning of the passage “A special hobby”. courseware 9. Homework 1. Activity 4: Answer the questions about the words in the box. CAI (1 minute) 2. Activity 5: Work in pairs and discuss the questions. ppt
3. Activity 7: Work in pairs. Find out about your partner’s hobby. courseware
Make notes. Then write a short passage called My classmate’s hobby.
Use as well as, such as or as a result.
I. Active 2
Fill in the form. Use the adjectives to describe the hobbies.
Creative dancing, growing vegetables, painting
Interesting all of them
Relaxing dancing, painting, singing
Useful climbing, growing vegetables, looking after animals
mountain biking, playing volleyball, sailing
climbing dancing growing vegetables looking after animals
mountain biking painting playing volleyball sailing singing
II. Read the passage and answer the questions.
1. Why do people usually have hobbies? (Because they are relaxing and creative.) 2. Is writing a usual activity for a summer camp? (No, it isn’t.)
3. When did David become a successful writer? (When his book came out in 2003.) 4. How many hobbies does David have?
(We’re not sure. At least he has two hobbies: writing and playing volleyball.) 5. Which hobby is he interested in most?
1. Because they are relaxing and creative.
2. No, it isn’t.
3. When his book came out in 2003.
4. We’re not sure. At least he has two hobbies: writing and playing volleyball. 5. Maybe he is interested in writing most.
III. Written exercises 1
Fill in the blanks with the right answer.
1. Many people have hobbies, _______ painting, climbing, reading and sailing.
A. for example B. as well as C. such as D. as soon as
2. I think hobbies can _______ me grow as a person.
A. make B. get C. take D. look 3. Jenny spent 50 yuan _______ that dictionary.
A. about B. with C. on D. at 4. Mr Green is a singer _______ a singer.
A. not only B. as well as C. as a result D. but also 5. David likes writing, and _______, he has become a successful young writer.
A. as a result B. as well as C. as soon as D. such as Key:
1. C 2. A 3. C 4. B 5. A
IV. Written exercise 2
Rewriting these sentences using as well as, such as or as a result. 1. Some hobbies, for example, reading and painting, are very relaxing. 2. David likes writing. He also likes playing volleyball.
3. He has become a successful writer, and so his hobby has brought him enjoyment and success. 4. Many teenagers enjoy sport, for example, football and basketball. Key:
1. Some hobbies, such as reading and painting, are very relaxing. 2. David likes writing as well as playing volleyball.
3. He has become a successful writer; as a result, his hobby has brought him enjoyment and
4. Many teenagers enjoy sport, such as football and basketball.
V. Homework 1
Answer the questions about the words in the box.
free time skill success
1. What do you like to do in your free time?
2. Which new skills have you learnt through your hobbies?
3. Have any of your hobbies brought you great success?
VI. Homework 2
Work in pairs and discuss the questions.
1. What do you think of high school students writing books?
2. Do you think David should write more books in the future? Why or why not? 3. What can a successful hobby mean to a high school student?
VII. Homework 3
Work in pairs. Find out about your partner’s hobby. Make notes. Now write a short passage called
My classmate’s hobby. Use as well as, such as or as a result.
The teaching objectives of this lesson is to train the students to understand details about hobbies
and the benefits of hobbies and make the students to get the ability of introducing classmates’
hobbies in writing.
This lesson is taught by using multimedia courseware for teaching. It demonstrates the teaching
content lively, increases the interest of the students, and helps the students learn and use the words.