How much is too much salt?
Read the article “Salt-rich diet gets a lashing”.
1. What do you see, think, wonder?
2. Find the 3 reported values of Australian salt intake in the article.
i. estimated actual grams of salt consumed each day: __________
ii. recommended grams of salt to be consumed each day: _______
iii. maximum recommended grams of salt to be consumed each day: _____
3. Label the bars in the figure below with the appropriate descriptions of salt
4. If 4 grams per day (the recommended amount of salt) is 100%, what is the
maximum recommended intake and what is the estimated actual Australian
intake in terms of percents? Label these percents in the figure above.
5. How many grams of salt are in each of the fast food meals mentioned in the
article? Fill in the table. Include some of your favourite foods and find out
how much salt content they have (use the internet or look on labels).
Meal Percent of Grams of salt
Subway spicy Italian sub
Red Rooster Classic half chicken
KFC Zinger Double BBQ Bacon and
Cheese with large chips
Hungry Jacks Whopper double beef
and cheese burger plus onion rings
and large chocolate shake
6. If you wanted to keep your salt intake within the recommended daily intake
levels in what ways would you have to change your eating habits?
7. Write a newspaper article for teenagers about the issue of salt and fast food.