Students’ handout for reading
5. 能理解故事情节和事件发生顺序以及段落中各句子之间的逻辑关系。 6. 能根据上下文理解作者的态度，观点和意图。
How to guess the meaning of words?
How to guess the meaning of words? ( different ways)
Ways/Tips(猜词方法技巧) Hints (标志性的词语)
Let’s have another try!
1.She asked the hairdresser to trim her hair because it was too long.
2.Although people in many countries consider raw meat delicious, we Chinese people
seldom eat any meat that is uncooked.
3. She did not hear what you said because she was completely engrossed in her reading.
4. Doctors believe that smoking cigarettes is detrimental to your health.
5. A stunt person is a man or woman who does all the dangerous bits of acting work in films or on TV.
I. Peanuts are very highly nutritious and are also high in protein(蛋白质). American
use about seven tenths of their protein in the form of the meat. In India, where the poor can’t pay for meat or milk, peanuts meal and peanuts milk have been produced. These have been a great help to the poor.(07年北京卷；
What does the underlined word“nutritious” mean?
A. good for health B. Helpful to the Poor C. Delicious and tasty D. Rich in fat and oil.
II. Doctors and other scientists who study the human mind and try to explain why people behave in the way that they do, called psychologists, are starting to believe it. You
know that your brain is connected to every part of your body through your nervous system (神经系统). Now scientists have proved that how you think and feel can have an influence on the health of your body. (09年北京卷)
A psychologist is a person who may help you with your ______.
A. illness and ability B. thoughts and behaviour
C. mind and nervous system D. physical activity and daily exercise
III. These are the steps to follow when you are reading something difficult:
1、Start to read normally until you run into a sentence that doesn’t make sense to you.
2、When a sentence doesn’t make sense, go back and read it again more slowly.
3、Look for any words you don’t know in the sentence. Try to understand their meanings using word parts and context clues(上下文线索).If necessary, look them up in the dictionary.
The underlined phrase “run into” means( )
A、work out B、come across C、look into D、pass by
1.He replied quickly, but after he considered the problem more carefully, he regretted having made such a hasty decision.
2. Your ideas are so nebulous that they are not clear to me.
3. Although the early morning had been very cool, the noonday sun was tropical.
4. He had been getting better but during the night his condition deteriorated.
5. In the old days, when girls from rich families were married to their husbands, they expected to bring with themselves plenty of dowry.
6. Mark Twain was not the author’s real name; it was a pseudonym.
7.Bananas, oranges, pineapples, coconuts and some other kinds of fruit grow in warm areas.
8. The fisherman make their canoes from trees. They go from island to island in these light boats and collect turtles’ eggs.
9. Finally the enemy surrendered. They threw down their guns and walked out of the home with their hands over their heads.
10. Jogging has become very popular in some countries. It is believed to be a good exercise for old people.
11. This boss wanted privacy because he knew that being alone would help him solve his problem.
12. He is one of the most loquacious men I know His brother, however, does not like to talk much.
13. Man differs most from all the other animals in their ability to learn and use language.
14. The herdsman, who looks after sheep, earns about 650 yuan a year. 15. Those new comers were not used to the life in the suburbs which was so different
from that inside the city.
16. My birthday was a few days ago. It was just like an ordinary day, no presents, no
party, no cake…
17. The official asked the man what his occupation was. The man told him that he
worked as an engineer.
I. The small-world theory says that everyone in the world is connected through a short chain (链条) of people they know. Another name of this chain is degrees of separation.
Each degree is a step that separates a person from someone he or she does not know. (08
What is the meaning of “degrees of separation ”?
A. The chain to connect people. B. The relations between people.
C. The steps of knowing strangers. D. The separation between strangers.
II. Linguist James Milroy says, for centuries, it is believed without exception that young people are harming the language. And you can bet your bottom dollar that when
today’s teenagers become tomorrow’s parents, they too will think this way. Milroy argues
that languages do not and cannot become “corrupted”; they simply change to meet the new
The expression“ bet your bottom dollar ”in this Paragragh means( )
A、be fairly sure B、be greatly surprised C、think it a pity D、find it interesting
III. The World MUN(世界大学生模拟联合国) is based on understanding, compromise,
learning and friendship. (06, 福州课改区) A.友谊 B. 理解 C. 和解 D. 屈服
IV. Wang Zhizhi said, “I realized I had made a big mistake. I want to say sorry to my fans and to the Bayi Team(八一队) which trained me and gave me the chance to play in the NBA. I was too young to make the right decision. I hope I could make up my fault this time and win back my place in the national team. (06，广东；
A. 表现出色 B. 弥补过失 C. 珍惜机会 D. 得到谅解
V. Can a soft-looking girl be tough (坚韧的) inside?
Taiwan’s pop singer Evonne Xu is like this. If she thinks something is right, she goes out of her way to do it. (07, 威海)
A. to get off B. to get in the way C. to go away D. to try one’s best
VI. You have often looked into a mirror, of course. But you haven’t seen the real
picture of your face yet. And why couldn’t you see it? When you look into a mirror, you don’t see your face as other people see it. You see a reversed picture. (06, 杭州)
A.暂存的 B.相反的 C.模拟的 D.虚幻的
VII. Nowadays more and more people care about the exploitation(开采) of the natural
resources, such as oil. (07, 哈尔滨) A. 商品 B.现象 C.资源 D. 污染
VIII. The life of an ant is usually 45-60 days…Grownup ants cannot eat hard food.
Instead they have the juice that they get from pieces of food. An ant has two eyes. Each eye is made up of many smaller eyes. They are called compound eyes.(07,河南)
A. 明亮的 B. 柔弱的 C. 模糊的 D. 复合的
IX. The Venus flytrap is a very strange plant. Its leaves can open and close very quickly. Inside the leaves, there are three small hairs. If a fly touches one of the hairs, the leaf closes quickly. They fly cannot get out. In about half an hour, the leaf presses the
fly until it is dead. (07, 安徽 ) A. 挤压 B. 关上 C. 打开 D. 松开
X. British workers have the longest working week in Europe, with 23 vacation days—the shortest vacation. So they feel overworked, 75% say their weekends or vacations are too short and 40%would sacrifice a day’s pay for one more vacation day.
(07, 江西) A. Use up. B. Put up. C. Take up. D. Give up.
XI. We need to stop our discrimination (歧视) against the migrant workers (农民工) of
China! They may not make as much money as some people in cities, they may not have everything we have, but they are good honest people just trying to survive this game of
life. (07 临沂) A.活过来 B.挺过来 C.活得累 D.活得长