Key to Unit 1 Text A, Book 1 (大学英语新版)
1. Fill in the gaps with words or phrases…
1) respectable 2) agony 3) put…down 4) sequence 5) hold back 6) distribute
7) off and on 8) vivid 9) associate 10) finally 11) turn…in 12) tackle
2. Rewrite each sentence…
1) has been assigned to the newspaper’s Paris office.
2) was so extraordinary that I didn’t know whether to believe him or not. 3) a clear image of how she would look in twenty years’ time.
4) gave the command the soldiers opened fire. 5) buying bikes we’ll keep turning them out.
3. Complete the sentences
1) reputation, rigid, to inspire.
2) and tedious, What’s more, out of date ideas.
3) compose, career, avoid showing, hardly hold back.
II Synonyms in Context
1) composed 2) severe 3) agony 4) extraordinary 5) recall 6) command
7) was violating 8) anticipate
1) at 2) for 3) of 4) with 5) as 6) about 7) to 8) in…in 9) from 10) on/upon
1) hold back 2) tedious 3) scanned 4) recall
5) vivid 6) off and on 7) turn out/in 8) career
1) last 2) surprise 3) pulled 4) blowing 5) dressed 6) scene 7) extraordinary 8) image 9) turn 10) excitement
1. Translate the Sentences
1. As it was a formal dinner party, I wore formal dress, as Mother told me to.
2. His girlfriend advised him to get out of/ get rid of his bad habit of smoking before it took
3. Anticipating that the demand for electricity will be high during the next few moths, they have
decided to increase its production.
4. It is said that Bill has been fired for continually violating the company’s safety rules / Bill is
said to have been fired for continually violating the company’s safety rules.
5. It is reported that the government has taken proper measures to avoid the possibility of a
severe water shortage. / The local government is reported to have taken proper measures to
avoid the possibility of a severe water shortage.
2. Translate the passage
Susan lost her legs because of/ in a car accident. For a time, she didn’t know how to face up
to the fact that she would never (be able to) walk again.
One day, while scanning (through) some magazines, a true story caught her eye/ she was
attracted by a true story. It gave a vivid description of how a disabled girl became a writer. Greatly
inspired, Susan began to feel that she, too, would finally be able to lead a useful life.
Useful Expressions for Unit One Book One
断断续续 off and on
对…感到腻味 be bored by …
觉得…枯燥难懂 find … dull and difficult
以…而出名 have a reputation for …
据说某人… sb. be said to be …
拘谨刻板;落后于时代 formal, rigid and out-of-date 随笔小品文 informal essay
如期到达 be due /be due to 躺在沙发上 lie on a sofa
勇敢的接受;面对… face up to …
围坐在晚餐桌旁 be seated around the supper table …重现在我脑海中 … reawake in my mind
自得其乐 for my own joy
违反规定 violate the rules
不及格分 a failing grade
别无选择;只好做… There is no choice but to do …
更重要的是;而且 what’s more
专心地听 listen attentively
乐呵呵地开怀大笑 laugh with open-hearted enjoyment 心花怒放 pure delight
最后的时刻 at the eleventh hour