Folk and Popular Culture: Key Issue 3 1
Why Is Popular Culture Widely Distributed?
Rubenstein, pp. 117-125
1. In contrast to folk customs, popular customs diffuse ____________ across the earth’s surface to
locations with a wide variety of _________________ __________________. This diffusion depends, however, upon a group of people having a sufficiently high level of ______________ ____________________ in order to obtain the ________________ _______________ associated with the popular custom.
? DIFFUSION OF POPULAR HOUSING, CLOTHING, AND FOOD
2. Consumption of large quantities of beverages and snacks products are
characteristic of popular culture
A. Bourbon B. Southerners C. Southeast D. Texans
How is each of these food preferences above expressed regionally, according to culture? A (from above).
B (from above).
C (from above).
D (from above0
wine 3. Summarize the four facts you believe to be most
important to remember about wine production in the box at right.
4. In MDCs of North American and Western Europe clothing styles generally reflect ____________ rather than particular _______________ _______________.
5. Complete a bullet chart with 5 facts about clothing styles associated with popular culture. 2 ?
6. Summarize the four facts you believe to be most important to remember about jeans as an example of popular culture.
7. Complete the chart below to indicate the decade(s) during which each
housing style was dominant and a fact about the particular style of house.
8. List the so-called “neo-eclectic” styles of the 1960's and 70's. 3
? Electronic Diffusion of Popular Culture pp. 122-125
9. Television diffused in the following chronological way. Give details for each year.
In the early years of broadcasting, the _________________ held a near monopoly.
10. Make a note about the situation of worldwide Internet usage in each of the following years.
11. Looking at all six maps in Figures 4-18 and 4-19 use the same intervals and colors. The highest class in all maps is _______ or more per ___________________. The diffusion from the USA to the rest of the world took a _______________________. The diffusion of the Internet has taken only a _____________. The USA has far more ________________________________________ (2 words) than any other country.