Part one : The history of Greece
I. Predecessors of the Greeks:
?Cretan(克里特) and Mycenaean(迈锡尼) Culture(2600-1200 BC , Bronze Age culture/Aegean
Cretan Culture The empire of King Minos
Knossos :also known as Labyrinth(迷宫), or Knossos Palace
?Greek Legend on Crete
• Minotaur: symbol of brutality and danger
• Labyrinth: a common metaphor in western literature—confusion and entrapment
• Daedalus: James Joyce, A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man
Mycenaean culture lasts from 16BC to 12 BC,the Achaeans brought their language, their gods, and a
monarchial form of government to Greece.
Features of Mycenaean civilization
--domed tombs (royal):Tomb of Clytemnestra
The dynasty of domed tomb reaches its prosperity in Mycenaean culture.
---rich in gold? Agamemnon’s mask
---the decline of Mycenaean civilization
?.The Greek Arrives
--Hellenes’ invasion collapsed Mycenaean civilization
?Population growth and the establishment of colonies throughout the Mediterranean. ：Warship, heavy infantry , hoplites, a phalanx；
The Greco-Persian Wars , or Persian Wars
• The 5th century BC opened with events that shaped the future of Greek civilization and Western culture.
• The Persian invasions: Darius and Xerxes are defeated in Greece “I shall fight to the death. I shall put freedom before life. I shall not desert colonel or captain dead or alive, I shall
carry out the general’s commands, and I shall bury my comrades-in-arms where they fall and leave none
?.The Hellenistic Age(希腊化时代) (338—30 BC)
----the battle of Chaeronea in 338 BC
?the empire of Alexander the Great
--Alexander founded over seventy new cities
---Intermarriage; one currency; literature and arts further developed ?the empire after Alexander
Antigonid, Ptolemies, Seleucid
Part two: Greek religion and politics ?. Greek Religion
Polytheism ?Mycenaen Origin ?
Religious athletic festivals