DOC

Bournemouth Supporting People (SP) Joint Commissioning Group (JCG

By Luis Patterson,2014-07-11 16:52
10 views 0
Bournemouth Supporting People (SP) Joint Commissioning Group (JCG ...

Bournemouth Supporting People Core Strategy Group meeting

    26/1/09

Bournemouth Supporting People (SP): Joint Commissioning Group (JCG)

Meeting no. 1 thMonday 9 November 2009, 2.00 5.00pm

    Main Hall, Bournemouth Learning Centre, Ensbury Avenue, Bournemouth

Present: (those in bold font attended the open and closed sections of the meeting. All

    other delegates attended the open section only).

    Barry Webb (BW) Deputy Director of Public Health

    (Adults), Bournemouth & Poole PCT Bob Hucklesby (BH) Supporting People: Senior Accountant Candida Basilio (CMB) Supporting People Administration

    Officer (minute taker) Celia Sansom (CS) Supporting People Partnership (SPP) Chris Lewis (CL) Project Manager, Supporting People (SP) Councillor Barry Goldbart (BG) Cabinet Member for Adult Services,

    Bournemouth Borough Council David Lofts (DL) Accommodation Gateway Manager, Dorset

    Probation

    Eileen Dunnachie (ED) Service Director, Adult & Community

    Support(Accountable Officer) Enid Harvey (EH) Supporting People Partnership (SPP) Gemma Flay (GF) Service User Involvement Officer (SP) Ivor Cawthorn (IC) Head of Joint Commissioning &

    Partnerships Older People Judith Geddes (JG) Executive Director, Adult and

    Community Support (Chairperson) Julia Collins (JC) Service Manager Mental Health Kate Osborne (KO) Housing Support Officer Homes for

    People (BBC)

    Lorraine Mealings (LM) Strategic Housing Services Manager,

    Homes for People (BBC) Martin Hancock (MH) Chief Executive BCHA / Housing Forum Neil Smurthwaite Service Director, Community Care

    Services

    Peter Yates (PY) Private Provider

    Steve Belshaw (SB) Supporting People Partnership (SPP) Stewart Mustard (SM) Alabaré Christian Care Centres Sylvie Elsbury (SE) Bournemouth Council for Voluntary

    Services

     - 1 -

Bournemouth Supporting People Core Strategy Group meeting

    26/1/09

    Discussion

     Apologies

    Andrew Curry, Manager of Integrated Community Mental Health Team Ao Ajomale, Chair of Provider Forum and Steering Group.

    Tim Branson, Service Manager, Older People services

    Nadine Evans, Service Manager, Disabilities services

    David Palmer, Senior Commissioner Mental Health

    Sian Jenkins, Safer and Stronger Communities

    Christopher Snelling, Bournemouth Drug and Alcohol Action Team Coordinator Tina Ridge, Assistant Chief Officer, Dorset Probation

    Councillor Malcolm Davies, Cabinet Member for Education and Children‟s Services Councillor Douglas Spencer, Cabinet Member for Social Housing and Support

The JCG meeting is replacing the separate ‘Commissioning Body’ (CB) and ‘Core Strategy

    Group’ (CSG) meetings that have been held previously. The JCG meeting, which is held

    quarterly, will consist of an open section of the meeting. This is where all members attend

    (members of the CB and CSG). During the closed section, members of the Commissioning Body

    attend only, and make confidential decisions, considering the input made by the JCG open

    section.

    OPEN SECTION

Start: 2.08pm.

    JG opened the meeting. Everyone around the table introduced themselves.

    1. Minutes of the last ‘Commissioning Body’ (CB) meeting on 10th August 2009:

    The minutes of the last CB meeting were read through page by page. The one change needed was raised by DL. On page 6, “medium support beds” needs to be changed to “low support

    beds”.

     th2. Minutes of the ‘Core Strategy Group’ (CSG) meeting of 14 October 2009:

    The minutes were read through by the group, and CL added that the meeting today is essentially a re-run of the last CSG, covering similar agenda items.

GF gave a brief introduction to the traffic light card system that is to be used in JCG meetings.

    3. Terms of Reference for the group, memorandum of understanding for the JCG and

    JCG Membership.

CL summarised the key aims and responsibilities of the JCG, including overseeing the work of

    the SP team, identifying what services are needed and not needed, and to contribute to the

    content of the SP Annual Plan.

    The JCG will plan to have client group focused meetings in the future and decide the overall

    priorities for Supporting People. The new JCG membership is bigger, which is good as SP has an

    effect on many other departments and their budgets and they need to have input. The

    representative from Bournemouth Council for Voluntary Services and Councillors have an

    important contribution to make. There is also a Cross Authority Group meeting between Dorset

    SP Project Leaders. The outcome of these meetings regarding cross authority provision will be

     - 2 -

Bournemouth Supporting People Core Strategy Group meeting

    26/1/09

    fed into the JCG.

    The „Memorandum of Understanding‟ for the CB needs to be updated.

    Action: CL to make the final updates to the ‘Memorandum of Understanding’ document.

    All members raised their green cards to give agreement to the Terms of Reference for the JCG.

    4. Work plan

CL went through the SP work plan and discussed each item briefly.

    Councillor Goldbart entered the meeting during this item, at 2.30pm

Comments from CL:

    ? Work plan item CB1: The memorandum of agreement document needs to be

    signed off by the 3 voting members of the JCG.

    ? Work plan item CB2: Savings have been achieved this year in SP.

    ? Work plan item CB3: The Council will make their decision on the future of the SP

    budget in January 2010. There might be further savings to make depending on the

    decision. CL is considering loss of underspend, 10% and 20% savings and the

    impacts on other services of making these savings.

    ? Work plan item CB4: The SP team is planning far ahead to make sure that any

    savings that need to be made are manageable.

    ? Work plan item CB5: The SP team has been reviewing services and some Quality

    Assessment Framework (QAF) Level A and B‟s have been achieved by Service

    Providers.

    ? Work plan item CB6: Considered by the CB and will be uploaded to the SP

    WebPages shortly.

    ? Work plan item CB8: Procurement Strategy: This is not so straightforward for SP

    because it is difficult to separately tender for support services that are

    accommodation-based. SP will incorporate personalisation in future contracts.

    ? Work plan item SP4: Updating the Needs Analysis for the JCG to lead. Questions:

    PY asked about CB8 and tenders for the accommodation based service the property is owned

    by the Council, so the support can be separated from the accommodation and tendered.

    LM added that the Move on strategy should be added to the work plan as it should be re-visited. CS suggested that it would be useful to know the number of people moving on each year.

    SB asked about SP funding going into Area Based Grant (ABG) and whether safeguards are in place. The grant will from 2010 be non-ring fenced in the ABG with no conditions attached to

    what it funds, but the main findings of the recent Communities and Local Government (CLG)

    Committee report into SP are:

    ? The QAF should be mandatory

    ? The Commissioning Body should be retained or something similar

    ? Service User involvement should be at the heart of SP

    ? The Supporting People brand should be retained

    ? ABG the ring fence should be removed, but SP should be protected. The main point

    made is that if Councils take money from SP, then reasons must be given.

     - 3 -

Bournemouth Supporting People Core Strategy Group meeting

    26/1/09

    ? Should sheltered housing come within SP

    CL said that SP needed to be embedded in the Local Strategic Partnership.

    The work plan was discussed. MH said that it contains plans for making savings, but we still need to focus on identifying need. Also, joint commissioning is not mentioned on the work plan. EH

    asked if people could bid for SP accommodation. CL replied that sheltered housing was allocated

    through Choice Based Letting Scheme. Access to other supported accommodation is through a

    variety of routes such as Mental Health Allocations Panel and Dorset Gateway (for offenders). NS

    added that all budgets are under pressure. The JCG needs to consider the impact of SP savings

    on other budgets.

    Action: CMB to e-mail the link to the CLG committee report to JCG members. CL to undertake Equality Impact Needs Assessment (EINA) and report back to the JCG.

    5. Access to services Reconnections Policy, Local connection definition and the Day

    Centre and 10 St. Paul’s Lane.

KO has revisited the Reconnections Policy (issue date 26/10/2009). The revised amendments

    have an impact on homelessness services. In summary, people who have no local connection can

    only access emergency accommodation and support services for 5 days. Staff at those services

    will help the service user to reconnect with their area of origin. There are exceptions on a case-by-case basis. Some people may be too vulnerable to return home, or they may have no

    local connection elsewhere.

There will be limited hours of access to the Day Centre. The new hours for the Day Centre to

    provide support is 7.30am - 8.30am and 10am 2pm. Feedback from staff who run the Day

    Centre has been very positive as it allows more structured support. The new arrangements will be monitored by the Homelessness Strategy Group.

SB questioned the statistics in the Reconnection Policy‟s conclusion. It states that in 1997, the

    rough sleeper count was 44, and the count is now down to 6. SB said that his research suggests that the number is 50. The last count was 15. The count was discussed but is based on specific

    criteria set by CLG and shows trends. Homeless provision in Bournemouth is not based on the

    count.

    6. SP Budgets: 2009-10 forecast and savings update.

BH gave an overview of the September 2009 financial summary. There is a forecast ?1.3 million

    under spend that has been building up since 2003.

A Summary of savings by client group was considered. Savings are based on quality, strategic

    relevance, hours of support and remodelling of services. MH was concerned over young people

    services funding being reduced. The focus of the next JCG will be young people. Figures are not

    all agreed and are still being discussed with providers. NS said that the impact of savings on Community Care should be a consideration and questioned the cap in support hours in the

    eligibility criteria. ED explained that capping hours was based on the definition of housing

    related support. Two hours a day is viewed as the maximum amount of housing related support that a person would need beyond that it is day to day care which is not within SP. CL to brief NS

    outside the meeting, but the limit on support hours and the removal of funding for S117 clients

    would impact on Community Care budgets over time.

     - 4 -

Bournemouth Supporting People Core Strategy Group meeting

    26/1/09

SE said that Young People services are a priority for the CLG. SE stated that there is a proven

    need for chaotic young people. MH added that organisations may not be able to take on higher

    need service users if funding is lowered. CL said that Bournemouth had one of the highest per capita SP budgets nationally and that high support services need joint funding. JG concluded

    that in this current financial situation in Britain, there is no spare funding. Councils are facing

    tight budgets and at present the future is unknown. These discussions will be repeated again

    when the Council has a clearer idea of the situation. BW added that the Terms of Reference are

    clear. We need to be proactive. Client focused meetings would be very useful.

    Action: CL to send the housing-related support definition to NS. Action: CL to circulate the value for money criteria and eligibility criteria.

    7. Performance Indicators for information.

CMB provided some quarter 1 performance data for members to take with them. Any questions

    to CMB.

    8. Future agenda items for the JCG

    ? Client focused meetings Young People in January

    ? Needs analysis for client groups JCG members to suggest approach

    Action: CMB to collate agenda items deadline in mid-December. 3.30pm: EH left the meeting.

Cllr Goldbart added that we are taking a bleak view of the future. He urged those present to

    make plans for the future and be inventive, even if we are unsure of where funding is coming

    from.

    A final question was asked by SB can we partner with Registered Social Landlords (RSL). LM clarified that the Council already does have RSL Partners.

Close at 3.40pm

    CLOSED SECTION

Matters arising from the JCG

    ? Update the work plan to reflect the recommended changes CL to action.

    ? Young People services focus group is needed and negotiations with Young People

    services providers. High support/cost services there is argument that other

    departments should fund these services. BW thought that Young People should be

    one of the first focus groups. ED agreed.

    ? EINA‟s: ED thought that more activity on EINA‟s are needed in future, rather than

    relying on the national formula. We need to work on a better methodology.

     - 5 -

Bournemouth Supporting People Core Strategy Group meeting

    26/1/09

    1. Services not meeting Level C on the QAF

    No issues currently. Decision taken to not renew one contract and provider informed.

    2. Services that are not strategically relevant

Decision taken to not renew two services and provider informed. As Probation not present a

    further service involving offenders moving on was not discussed and it was agreed that CL would

    deal with by email.

A number of services involve Council property and discussions are taking place with the Estates

    Surveyor on future use.

    3. Dorset Gateway and floating support

    The Commissioning Body has previously agreed this. The Strategic Procurement Manager advises that the floating support service should be open to competition and the Council‟s contracts

    solicitor supports this. Poole considers that this is unnecessary, but BW said that he does not

    think a final decision was made in Poole and that Poole was to seek further guidance on whether

    they should transfer the floating support. BW sought clarification of the saving if the floating

    support was not transferred. The full cost of the service would be saved.

Floating support in Bournemouth will be tendered in 2010/11 to start in 2011 but the

    specification has yet to be decided.

Both Poole and Bournemouth would be considering how they broker services in 2010/11. Poole

    already has a brokerage service and will take the year to consider how the Gateway can be integrated. Bournemouth is looking at IT possibilities.

The CB confirmed their previous decision for the transfer of the floating support, but subject to

    further advice from the Corporate Governance Manager and Strategic Procurement Manager as

    to whether it is within Bournemouth Council‟s rules.

SP to tender floating support services in 2010/11. The tender is a major exercise and will take a

    full year. Meeting to be held with Commissioners and a paper presented to the JCG in January.

Action: CL to e-mail the DAAT, Housing, Homelessness and Gateway regarding the work

    required before the next JCG.

    4. Budgets

Details as previously provided to the CB.

    Action: CL to update savings spreadsheet for the next JCG

    5. Performance Indicators

Quality Assessment Framework (QAF) ratings were provided for services reviewed, including one

    service achieving the highest rating (A), and a number of Level B‟s. CL added that as

    recommended by the CLG Committee, it is essential to retain the QAF.

     - 6 -

    Bournemouth Supporting People Core Strategy Group meeting 26/1/09

    CMB provided additional performance indicator data for the Group to review and will provide a pack for the next JCG.

Any other business

BW informed the Group that he is leaving the JCG. JG and the rest of the Commissioners

    thanked BW for his excellent contributions, and best wishes for the future.

Also, Andy Hutchinson (Probation), who has just recently left the group, was not present in the

    meeting but the Group acknowledged his excellent contributions, and wish to thank Andy and

    wish him well for the future.

     - 7 -

Report this document

For any questions or suggestions please email
cust-service@docsford.com