DOC

100809 - Welcome to Bournemouth Borough Council Online

By Jimmy James,2014-07-11 15:49
12 views 0
100809 - Welcome to Bournemouth Borough Council Online ...

BOURNEMOUTH SUPPORTING PEOPLE COMMISSIONING BODY (CB)

    Meeting No.45 thMonday 10 August 2009

    Room: Town Hall Room 50

    MINUTES

Present:

    Eileen Dunnachie (ED): Service Director of Adult & Community Support. Accountable

    Officer for Supporting People

    Chris Lewis (CL) Supporting People Project Manager Andy Hutchinson (AH): Director of Business Development Dorset Probation

    Barry Webb (BW): Deputy Director of Joint Commissioning and Partnerships Bournemouth and

    Poole NHS

    Judith Geddes (JG): Executive Director of Adult & Community Services (Chair)

    Cllr Douglas Spencer: Cabinet Member for Social Housing and Support

    Candida Basilio (CMB): Supporting People Administrator

    Bob Hucklesby (BH): Senior Accountant

Apologies

    Lorraine Mealings (LM): Strategic Housing Services Manager

JG opened the meeting with introductions to Councillor Douglas Spencer, who has

    joined the CB as Portfolio Holder for Bournemouth Supporting People (SP). Those

    present briefly introduced themselves.

ED is Accountable Officer, CL is SP Project Manager and reports to the CB, and the

    three voting members of the CB are JG, BW & AH.

Minutes of last meeting and matters arising

    Appendix 1 Judith Geddes

    ED added that under agenda item 5 (Draft eligibility criteria), there was a misleading

    sentence. CMB to change the sentence to “Nightshelter will fund night time security

    through housing benefits; Sunrise will be using their existing higher rents”.

Under agenda item 7, CL understood that the Project Officer for Campus Reprovision

    had resigned.

    Governance and compliance CB Work Plan

    Appendix 2 Chris Lewis

CL presented the updated plan, covering the main issues for this year. The work plan

    follows on from the Business Unit plan and the SP plan. CL asked the CB for their

    comments, and amendments will be made as necessary.

Items:

    CB1: Terms of Reference and Memorandum of Agreement for the Joint Commissioning Group to be discussed in today’s agenda.

CB2: Make ?600,000 savings on the basis that the under spend will rollover. These

    savings are part of a phased approach to making savings and on target.

    CB3: CL has discussed the carry forward of under spend with the Group Accountant responsible for the ABG. On advice from CLG the 2009/10 SP funding, including under spend, is subject to the financial arrangements in place for grant paid under Section 31 of the Local Government Act 2003 and can be carried forward. The intention is to use up the under spend accumulated prior to 2009, to safeguard it for subsequent years.

    We are working on the basis that by 2012/13 the budget will be reduced by 5% year on year to between ?8 and 9m.

    AH asked what the timescales are to hear about the Council’s budget. CL & ED confirmed that it would be during early 2010.

    CB4: Annual Plans - This is amber. We are clear on this year, but we need to firm up on the future, 2011 onwards. We may not have the facts for this ahead of the March 2010 deadline.

CB5: Contract monitoring is ongoing and based on a risk matrix.

    CB6: Reviewing of eligibility criteria has essentially been finished, but some areas need finalising.

CB7: Value for Money criteria has been refreshed and applied to contracts.

CB8: Amber: Procurement Strategy to tie in with Council estate and supported

    accommodation owned by the Council and let on long leases. Work to be undertaken with Housing.

    CB11: Review risk register and contingency plan. BW asked if Safeguarding issues go via JG and the Board. JG confirmed that yes they would. CL added that SP refers cases to Community Care for investigation.

Paper of the future Joint Commissioning Group (JCG)

    Appendix 3 Eileen Dunnachie

    ED has discussed with individual Commissioners and the Chair of the Poole CB. This proposal mirrors Poole’s structure, with a meeting in two parts – the first half will be

    an open meeting for Commissioners, Providers & Stakeholders, and the second half will be a closed meeting for Commissioners.

    BW commented that the Poole structure works but the role of the CB is not fully developed in terms of strategic direction. There is significant development in regular attendance from Young People services.

AH agreed to the proposal. Poole has interest groups to feed in to the JCG. CL said

    that Bournemouth has always had this too, but it has been difficult to drive groups

    forward.

AH mentioned that Dorset SP has a formal arrangement for subgroups. ED added that

    the sheer size is an issue, we have limited capacity. CL pointed out that Dorset has a

    dedicated Strategy Team. BW said that Dorset’s overall profile affects the structure –

    East and West Dorset are very different. Bournemouth has one profile.

Other suggestions included:

    ? BW: Possibility of focusing on a specific client groups at each meeting.

    ? JG: Having static voting members but there could be issues over the availability

    of individuals.

    ? ED raised the role of the Provider’s Forum and Housing Forum and the need to

    elect representatives to the JCG. CL added that these fora would provide a

    platform for SP issues.

All the Commissioners agreed to the proposal in principle.

    It was agreed that the meeting should be longer (2pm 5pm) but this would be

    worthwhile and save time in comparison to two separate meetings. BW added that we

    need a clear statement on what is expected from Provider attendance feedback from

    and to the body of Providers, intelligence etc. CL and BW added that it would be

    difficult to get Service User representatives for all client groups.

CMB to organise a longer meeting to accommodate the new format, as of the meeting thon 9 November 2009. CCTV room to be the likely option at late notice, but in the

    future, HMS Phoebe or Royal Hants would be the preferred venue. The BLC and NHS

    Offices at Discovery Court were also suggested.

     thAction: JG & ED to meet prior to and work on the format for 9 November meeting.

Contracts and Reviews

QAF Pilot

    Appendix 4 Chris Lewis

A report was presented on the Refreshed QAF pilot review carried out with Alabaré.

    The pilot worked very well, the main issue being the time needed to interview service

    users and staff. CL clarified to BW that under the “future” section, Alabaré will be

    revisited to review the work done on the action plan formed after the review. Alabare

    achieved a level B under the revised scoring matrix.

    CL added that it was useful to conduct the pilot with a new Provider, it has been very

    helpful. ED asked whether there is duplication between Poole and Bournemouth

    services, and QAF information could be shared. CL replied that there is limited

    duplication because the services provided are different, but CL to investigate further.

Rationale for savings

    Appendix 5 Chris Lewis

    ED thought it would be useful to combine information onto a paper on the division of savings across all client groups.

    Reduction in the grant means that Bournemouth SP will need to find ?600,000 savings year on year (more than 5%) assuming that the under spend continues to be available. By phasing in reductions the intention is to achieve a balanced budget in 2012/13.

    Based on the distribution formula, the three main areas for savings are Mental Health (largest client group), Homelessness/rough sleeping and substance misuse (important in Bournemouth due to issues around treatment and local connection).

    The stopping of funding for services was discussed. CL stressed that this doesn’t mean the service closes the service may find alternative funding and clients from

    elsewhere. ED said that reasons for ceasing funding need to be made very clear and based on strategic relevance or service quality.

    BW raised an issue with local connection rules. AH added that Dorset Criminal Justice Board plan states that it will support people from outside the area. This conflicts with the application of a local connection to access services. This will require further consideration, but Supporting People is a local service and in principle the Council considers that the application of a local connection is necessary as people are attracted by the services provided in Bournemouth and create budget pressures for other service areas. BW added that a statement is needed to the Board. Is there an expectation from the Board? AH replied that there was no expectation.

JG had recently seen an interesting report from Neighbourhood Management Cat

    McMillan. Housing draws people into the area, rather than the addiction services. A lot of people from addiction services move onto other Authorities. CL commented that DAAT say 1/3 of people stay in Bournemouth after treatment. JG responded that the report challenged this view in Boscombe. The balance of people moving in and out resulted in the net immigration of 7 people.

    S117: CL said that this is only going to be for clients new to SP services.

    Regarding the continued use of under spend JG requested a contingency plan if due to financial pressures the under spend is not available for the SP programme. CL responded that the knock on effect of reducing capacity due to loss of under spend will be a greater cost to the Council e.g. bed and breakfasts for Housing to fund and lack of supported housing for people in treatment and reduction in treatment funding for the DAAT.

    JG said that the treatment of under spend will be agreed corporately. BW added that he felt the paper pulled together recent discussions very well, but further work is required to cover further losses to the programme following a change in Council priorities. JG added that due to current public debt there is no way of knowing what

future cuts may occur. CL said that the indicative budget for Supporting People is

    known for 2010/11 but not beyond.

CL asked what is required for Plan B (contingency plan). ED thought that several

    scenarios are needed