1) You should spend a reasonable amount of time relaxing and exercising.
2) In general children are healthier and better educated than ever before.
3) When the right opportunity comes along, he’ll take it.
4) Every day he sets aside some time to be with his family and enjoy life.
5) I remember those dark streets and walking hand in hand with my father.
6) He finally failed to live up to his parents’ expectations.
7) In contrast, our use of oil has increased enormously.
8) He succeeded in his efforts to overcome his fatal weakness.
Part Four Writing and Translation (P46)
2. Translation Practice
1) It is believed that pessimism often leads to hopelessness, sickness and failure.
2) Optimism, by contrast, can make you happy, healthy and successful.
3) When you fail in something, profit from the failure as a learning experience.
4) Think about your strengths and build up self-confidence in front of problems or difficulties.
5) Don’t let negative thoughts hold you back.
6) Everyone has experienced failures and disappointments, so don’t blame yourself too much.
1) Because of an emergency, the doctor will not be available for several
2) How will taxes affect people with low income?
3) My mother always told me that in the long run I would be glad I didn’t
give up practicing the piano.
4) These books range in price form $10 to $20.
5) It seems to me that you don’t have much choice.
6) Given their inexperience, they have done quite a good job.
7) For such a big house the price is fairly cheap/low, but you’ve got to
take into consideration the money you will spend on repairs.
8) Can we begin with discussing questions/problems arising from the last
1) He underwent a major heart surgery several years ago.
2) We estimated that it would take a week to finish the work.
3) I used to enjoy photography, but I now have no time to pursue any
4) You may love someone but not necessarily have to marry him.
5) Terrorists resort to violence to achieve their political aims.
6) He says he’ll stay in the office this afternoon in case you want to see him.
7) Scientists have identified the gene that causes abnormal growth.
8) These examples demonstrate how badly some students write their resumes.
1) Seeing all the people walking to and fro outside the office, I became more worried.
2) In time he will see who is his true friend.
3) That scientist’s experiment gave birth to a new drug.
4) He had been shut in by illness during much of the winter.
5) They would practice spoken English at the first opportunity.
6) Everything she valued might be swept away overnight.
7) Towards the close of the term, all the students are busy preparing for the finals.
8) It is a very cold winter and we long for it to be over.
1) I didn’t realize putting on/staging a play involved so much work.
2) The most important thing is not what you say but what you do.
3) This is the best result that can be expected in such circumstances.
4) It isn’t the first time that you’ve found yourself in such a situation.
5) This difficulty challenges my mind to find an answer.
6) The new threat on the horizon is unemployment. 7) We have alternative ways of expressing the same idea. 8) He slipped into the old habit of drinking.
1) I took advantage of the fine weather today to play tennis. 2) You may even swim in the lake—if you feel inclined to. 3) The loud music brought on another one of his headaches. 4) A careless person is apt to make mistakes.
5) The experiment resulted in the discovery of a cure for cancer. 6) Comparatively speaking, we are more concerned with work efficiency
and product development.
7) Doctors said that surgery could induce heart attack. 8) I qualified/was qualified as a doctor at London University 30 years