Module1 our body and healthy habits
1. He is connected ____the Zhang by marriage .
A. to B. by C. with D. from
2. Please connect me ____ Beijing University .
A. with B. to C. by D. on
3. Beijing much too fat , the lady was advised to reduce her food for each meal ,yet she
would _____ that .
A. have none of B. accept C. take care of D. listen to
4. Kathy ____ a lot of Spanish by playing with the native boys and girls .A. picked up B.
took up C. made up D. turned up
5. Generally speaking ,____according to the directions ,the drug has no side effect . A. when taking B. when taken C. when to take D. when to be taken 6. Little ____ that we were watching his every more ,so he seemed to be going his own way in his business .
A. he realized B. he didn’t realize C. didn’t he realize D. did he realize
7. ---My room gets very cold at night .
A. So is mine B. So mine is C. So does mine D. So mine does 8. I have been living in the United States for twenty years but seldom ____ so lonely as
A. have I felt B. I had felt C. I have felt D. Had I felt 9. The shoes he bought for me ____ me .
A. doesn’t fit B. not fit for C. don’t fit D. are unfit
10. ---How about eight o’clock outside the cinema ?
---- That ____ me fine .
A. fits B. meets C. satisfies D. suits
11. He ____ his voice so that everybody in the room could hear him . A. lifted B. held C. rose D. raised
12. Though _____ in a big city , Peter always prefers to paint the primitive science of
country life .
A. grown B. raised C. tended D. cultivated
13. We wanted to get home before dark , but it didn’t quite _____ as planned .
A. make out B. turn out C. go on D. come up
16. The idea puzzled me so much that I stopped for a few seconds to try to ___. A. make it out B. make it off C. make it up D. make it over 17. I could just see a car in the distance , but I couldn’t ____what color it was .
A. make out B. look to C. look out D. take in
18. You will find as you read this book that you just can’t keep some of these stories to
____ . You will want to share them with a friend .
A. itself B. yourself C. himself D. themselves
19. The manager ____30 dollars from my salary without any good reason . A. cut off B. held up C. brought down D. kept back
20. ---Thank goodness ,you’ve here ! What ____ you?
---Traffic jam .
A. keeps B. is keeping from C. had kept D. kept
21.Friendship is like money : easer made than ____.
A. kept B. to be kept C. keeping D. being kept
22.I would appreciate _____ it a secret .
A. your keeping B. you to keep C. that you keep D. that you will keep 23.He is ____ to set out as soon as possible .
A. hurried B. anxious C. worried D. nervous
24.We were in _____ when we left that we forgot the airline tickets . A. a rush so anxious B. a such anxious rush
C. so an anxious rush D. such an anxious rush
25.Tom likes football ,he is ____ the football club .
A. anxious about B. eager to join C. anxiously to join D. eager to joining 26. My mother always gets a bit ____ if we don’t arrive when we say we will .
A. anxious B. ashamed C. weak D. patient
27. I used to love that film____ I was a child ,but I don’t feel it that way any more .
A. once B. when C. since D. although
28.----Did you return Fred’s call ?
----I didn’t need to ____I’ll see him tomorrow .
A. though B. unless C. when D. because
29.____I really don’t like art, I find his work impressive .
A. As B. Since C. If D. While
30.I won’t call you ,_____ something unexpected happens .
A. unless B. whether C. because D. while
31.Some pre-school children go to a day care center ,_____ they learn simple games and
A. then B. there C. while D. where
32. John received an invitation to dinner , and with his work ____, he glad accepted it .
A. finished B. finishing C. having finished D. was finished 33. I couldn’t do my homework with all that noise ____ .
A. going on B. goes on C. went on D. to go on
34.____ and no way to reduce her pain and suffering from the terrible disease ,the patient
sought he doctor’s help to end her life.
A. Having given up hope of cure B. With no hope for cure C. There being hope for cure D. In the hope of cure
35. _____ , his idea was accepted by all the people at the meeting. A. Strange as might it sound B. As it might sound strange C. As strange it might sound D. Strange as it might sound 36. Jenny was very sad over the loss of the photos she had shot at Canada ,____ this was
a memory she especially treasured .
A. as B. if C. when D. where
37. ---Do you have a minute ? I’v got something to tell you .
----OK, ____ you make it short .
A. now that B. if only C. so long as D. every time
38. Many of them turned a deaf ear to his advise ,_____ they knew it to be valuable .
A. as if B. now that C. even though D. so that
40. The Beatles ,____ many of you are old enough to remember , came from Liverpool .
A. what B. that C. how D. as
1.Quite a few people used to believe that disaster ____ if a mirror was broken . A. was sure of striking B. was sure of having struck
C. was sure to be struck D. was sure to strike
2. It is _____ that he will win the game at last .
A. certain B. sure C. surely D. positive
3. I’m sure you’d rather she went to school by bus ,____?
A. hadn’t you B. wouldn’t you C. aren’t I D. didn’t you
4.----Shall we go skating or stay at home ?
--- Which ____ do yourself ?
A. do you rather B. would you rather C. will you rather D. should you rather 5. I’d like Jane ,_____Joan , to go to the farewell party on behalf of our class . A. more than B. less than C. rather than D. or other
6. It is reported that United States uses ____ energy as the whole of Europe . A. as twice B. twice much C. twice much as D. twice as much
7. American eat ____ vegetables per person today as they did in 1919 . A. more than twice B. as twice as C. twice as many as D. more than twice as many 8.—I’d like some more cheese .
--- Sorry , there’s ___ left
A. some B. none C. a little D. few
9. He can’t have been ____ hungry because he didn’t touch the bread on the plate .
A. a little B. a bit C. a bit of D. a little
10. ____ he was limited technical knowledge , the old worker has a lot of experience . A. Since B. Unless C. As D. Although
11.He found it increasingly difficult to read , ____ his eyesight was beginning to fail . A. though B. for C. but D. so
12. We’ll have a picnic in the park this Sunday ___ it rains or it’s very cold .
A. since B. if C. unless D. until
13. The field research will take Joan and Paul about five months; it will be a long time ____ we meet them again .
A. after B. before C. since D. when
14. The computer system _____ suddenly while he was searching for information on the Internet .
A. broke down B. broke out C. broke up D. broke in
15. News reports say peace talks between the two countries ____ with no agreement reached .
A. have broken down B. have broken out
C. have broken in D. have broken up
16. Without proper lessons ,you could ____ a lot of bad habits when playing the piano . A. keep up B. pick up C. draw up D. catch up
17.Allow children the space to voice their opinions , ____ they are different from your own .
A. until B. even if C. unless D. as though
18. ____ the twentieth century came to a close , the raw materials for a great national literature were at hand waiting to be used .
A. When B. As C. While D. After
19. The hero would rather die than _____ the enemy .
A. to give up to B. give in to C. give up D. to give in
20. ____ I accept that he is not perfect ,I do actually like the person . A. While B. Since C. Before D. Unless
21. To understand the grammar of the sentence , you must break it ___ into parts . A. down B. up C. off D. out
22. Last year the advertising rate ____ by 20 percent .
A. raised B. aroused C. arose D. rose
23.--- It is burning hot today , isn’t it ?
----Yes , ___ yesterday .
A. So was it B. So it was C. So it is D. So is it
24.I had just stopped out of the bathroom and was busily drying myself with a towel ____
I heard the steps .
A. while B. when C. since D. after
25.It is reported that the United States uses ____ energy as the whole of Europe . A. as twice B. twice much C. twice much as D. twice as much as 26. We’re trying to ring you back ,Byran , but we think we ____ your number incorrectly .
A. looked up B. took much C. worked out D. brought about
27.England are to machines ____ hearts are to animals .
A. as B. that C. what D. which
28. ____ two exams to worry about , I have to work really hard this weekend . A. With B. Besides C. As for D. Because of
29. ____ most of the earth’s surface is covered by water , fresh water is very rare and precious .
A. As B. Once C. If D. Although
1. The wood was so rotten that when we pulled , it ____ into fragments . A. broke away B. broke off C. broke up D. broke though
2.---Did Linda see the traffic accident ?
-----No. No sooner ____ than it happened .
A. had she gone B. she had gone
C. has she gone D. she has gone
3.It is difficult for us to learn a lesson in life ___ we’ve actually had that lesson .
A. until B. after C. since D. when
4.---Where’s that report ?
---- I thought it to you ____ you were in Mr Black’s office yesterday .
A. if B. when C. because D. before
5.There’s ____ cooking oil left in the house .Would you go to the corner store and get ___ ?
A. little , some B. little ,any C. a little , some D. a little , any 6._____, I have never seen anyone who’s as capable as John .
A. As long as I have travelled B. Now that I have travelled so much C. Much as I have travelled D. As I have travelled so much 7. Allen had to call a taxi because the box was ____ to carry all the way home .
A. much too heavy B. too much heavy
C. heavy too much D. too heavy much
8. After he retired from office , Rogers _____ painting for a while , but soon lost interest .
A. took up B. saved up C. kept up D. drew up
9.What the speaker said at the meeting ____.
A. doesn’t have sense B. doesn’t make sense
C. doesn’t make meaning D. doesn’t mean
10. It was a pity that the great writer died ____his works unfinished . A. for B. with C. from D. of
1. Those who have ____ money than sense may sometimes act foolishly . A. much B. more C. most D. many
2.Alan is a careful driver , but he drives _____ of my friends . A. more carefully B. the most carefully
C. less carefully D. the least carefully
3.---How did you find your visit to the museum ?
--- I thoroughly enjoyed it .It was ___ than I expected .
A. far more interesting B. even much interesting
C. so more interesting D. a lot much interesting
4.If only he ____ quietly as the doctor instructed , he would not suffer so much now . A. lie B. lay C. had lain D. should lie
5.In the dark forests ____, some large enough to hold several English towns . A. stand many lakes B. lie many lakes C. many lakes lie D. many lakes stand 6.---Catherine , I have cleaned the room for you .
---- Thanks. You ____ it . I could manage it myself .
A. needn’t do B. needn’t have done C. mustn’t do D. shouldn’t have done
7.You don’t have to know the name of the author to find a book . You ___ find the book by the title .
A. must B. need C. can D. would
8. As a result of the serious flood , two-thirds of the building in the area ____.
A. need repairing B. need to repair C. needs repairing D. need to repair 9.It was so dark in the cinema that I could ____ my friend . A. turn out B. bring out C. call out D. pick out
10.Kalty____ a lot of Spanish by playing with the native boys and girls . A. picked up B. took up C. made up D. turned up
11.He ____ some French while he was away on a business trip in Paris. A. made out B. picked up C. gave up D. took in
12.This picture was taken a long time ago .I wonder if you can ___ my father . A. find out B. pick out C. look out D. speak out
13.—Look! He’s running so fast !
-----Hard to ____ his legs were once broken .
A. know B. imagine C. realize D. find
14.Can you imagine ____?
A. that Tom can cook the dinner B. Tom’s cooking the dinner
C. Tom to cook the dinner D. Tom cooking the dinner 15. ---There is a story here in the paper about a 110-year –old man .
----My goodness! I can’t imagine ____ that old .
A. to be B. to have been C. being D. having been
16.As far as I am concerned , education is about learning and the more you learn , _____.
A.the more for life are you equipped B.the more equipped for life you are C.the more life
you are equipped for D.you are equipped the more for life 17.It is difficult to imagine his ____ the decision without any consideration . A. to accept B. accept C. accepting D. accepted
18.The man ___ the box down and ____ down for a rest . A. laid; lay B. lied ; laid C. lay ; laid D. lay ; lay 19.----Do you need any help ,Lucy ?
----Yes. The job is ____ I could do myself .
A. less than B. more than C. no more than D. not more than 20. She ____ Japanese when she was in Japan . Now she can speak it freely . A. picked out B. made out C. made up D. picked up
21. Of all ____ reason for my decision to become a university professor ,my father’s
advice was _____ most important one .
A. the ,a B. / ; a C. /; the D. the; the
22. The weather turned out to be fine yesterday .I ___ the trouble to carry my umbrella
with me .
A. should have taken B. could have taken
C. needn’t have taken D. mustn’t haven’t taken
23.We ____booked .Look ,the restaurant is almost empty . A. must have B. can’t have C. should have D. needn’t have
24. The school’s music group will be giving a big show tomorrow night and two ____ on the weekend .
A. more B. other C. else D. another
25. You children soon ____ words when they hear their elders use . A. put forward B. look forward to C. turn up D. pick up
1.---I think you should phone Jenny and say sorry to her . ---_____ . It was her fault .
A. No way B. Not possible C. No chance D. Not at all 2. I don’t mind ____ to have my door painted .
A. costing money B. spending money C. paying D. taking much 3.--- I think he is taking an active part in social work . --- I agree with you ____ .
A. in a way B. on the way C. by the way D. in the way 4. What surprised me was not what he said but ___ he said it . A. the way B. in the way that C. in the way D. the way which 5. The prize of the game show is 30,000 dollars and any all expenses ____ vacation to
A. paying B. paid C. to be paid D. being paid
6. Cleaning women in big cities usually get ____ by the hour . A. pay B. paying C. paid D. to pay
7. It is difficult for us to learn a lesson in life ____ we’ve actually had the lesson .
A. until B. after C. since D. when
8. ― You can’t have this football back ____ you promise not to kick it at my cat again .‖
the old man said firmly .
A. because B. since C. when D. until
9. It was ____ back home after the experiment .
A. not until midnight did he go B. until midnight that he didn’t go
C. not until midnight that he went D. until midnight when he didn’t go
10. The rebellion from the government army was finally ____. A. put off B. put out C. put down D. put up
11. What shall we use for power when all the oil in the world has ____? A. given up B. put out C. held up D. used up
12. I can _____ some noise while I’m studying , but I can’t stand loud noise .
A. come up with B. catch up with C. put up with D. keep up with 13. You can take anything from the shelf and read , but please ____ the books when you’ve finished with them .
A. put on B. put down C. put back D. put off
14. I’ve ____ all my pockets but I still can’t find my key to my bike .
A. found B. looked for C. gone through D. searched
15.The Great Wall winds its way from west to east ____ deserts ___ mountains ,_____ valleys till at last it reaches the sea .
A. over; across ; across B. through ; past ; past
C. across ; over ; through D. past ; through; over
16. The forest guards often find campfires that have not been ____ completely . A. turned down B. put out C. put away D. turned over
17.Unlike watching TV, reading is highly active process ____ it requires attention as well
as memory and imagination .
A. until B. but C. unless D. for
18.He suddenly saw Sue ____ the room .He pushed his way ____ the crowd of people to get to her .
A. across ; across B. over; through C. over ; into D. across ; through 19. I don’t like the way ____ you laugh at her .
A. which B. that C. in that D. what
20. He was about to tell me the news ____ someone patted him on the shoulder . A. as B. until C. while D. when
21. These are usually at least two ____ of looking at every question . A. means B. direction C. views D. ways
22. Playing computer games too much may get ____ the way of school work .
A. on B. over C. in D. by
23. I wanted to write about that , but I wanted to ____ it down simply for my own joy ,
not for Mr Fleagle , my composition teacher .
A. settle B. put C. bite D. let
24____ you call me to say you’re no coming , I’ll see you at the theatre .
A. Though B. Whether C. Until D. Unless
1. In China ,the number of cities is increasing ____ development recognized across the
A. where B. which C. whose D. that
2. The place caught fire three times in the last century ,and little of the original building
____ now .
A. remains B. is remained C. is remaining D. has been remained 3. There were many talented actors out there just waiting ____. A. to discover B. to be discover C. discovered D. being discovered 4. Mother wanted to be a good provider ,a role she ____ since her marriage to Father .
A. shoulders B. shouldered C. is shouldering D. has been shouldering 5. Over the past decades ,see ice ____ in the Arctic as a result of global warming .
A. had decreased B. decreased C. has been decreased D. is decreasing 6.---- What do you think of the movie ?
---- It’s fantastic .The only pity is that I ____ the beginning of it . A. missed B. had missed C. miss D. would miss
7. ---Why don’t we choose that road to save time ?
---- The bridge to it ____.
A. has repaired B. is repaired C. is being repaired D. will be repaired 8.--- You speak very good French !
---- Thanks .I ____ French in Sichun University for four years . A. studies B. study C. was studying D. had studied
9. When he ____ the door , he found his keys were nowhere . A. would open B. opened C. had opened D. was to open
10.---Did you watch the basketball match yesterday ?
----Yes, I did .You know , my brother ____ in the match . A. is playing B. was playing C. has played D. had played 11.I like these English songs and they _____ many times on the radio. A. taught B. have taught C. are taught D. have been taught 12. So far this year we ____ a fall in house prices by between 5 and 10 percent . A. saw B. see C. had seen D. have seen
13. By the time he realizes he ____ into a trip , it’ll be too late for him to do anything about it .
A. walks B. walked C. has walked D. had walked
14.---Are you feeling ____?
---- Yes , I’m fine now .
A. any well B. any better C. quite good D. quite better 15. During the trip every student spent ____200 yuan .
A. much to B. as much as C. as many as D. many to
16. ____ does he come to school late .
A. How often B. Sometimes C. Rarely D. Usually
17.Whoever has ___ sense knows that smoking is harmful to people’s health .
A. normal B. general C. ordinary D. common
18.He came into the meeting room through the back door ___ being seen by anyone .
A. in B. for C. to D. without
19. With the horse ____ a big tree , he lay on the ground ,____ into the sky . A. tied to ; looking B. tying with ; looked up
C. tying to ; looking to D. tied with ; looked up
20.---Doctor, my stomach ____ .Could you give me some medicine ? ----Well , let me examine you first .
A. hurts B. injures C. wounds D. pains
21. He plays ____ football ____.
A. the ; every day B. /; everyday C. the ; everyday D. / ; every day 22.--Send me e-mail when you are free, will you ?
A. I must B. I will C. I can D. I should
23.____ snow can cause trouble .
A Too many B. Too much C. Many too D. Much too
24.Children in the city ____ see a cow carriage now because they almost never go to the
country ,do they ?
A. rarely B. often C. usually D. mostly
25.---More and more teachers and students use the books of this company . ----That’s ____ they are of high quality .
A. why B. that C. because D. how
26. ---Let’s meet at the school on Sunday morning , shall we ? ----That ____ me fine
A. fits B. meets C. satisfies D. suits
27. I am not going to find another job .____ , I won’t this year .
A. At first B. At least C. At last D. At most
28.Not until many years later ____ he had made a terrible mistake . A. he didn’t realize B. did he realize C. didn’t he realize D. he realize
29.—Everybody is going to climb the mountain .Can I go too,mom? ----_____ Wait till you are old enough , dear .
A. Will you ?B. Why not C. I hope so D. I’m afraid not
30. The discovery of gold in Australia led thousand to believe that a fortune _____.
A. is made B. would make C. was to be made D. had made