1901 Arlington Journal

By Adam Peterson,2014-07-11 10:13
8 views 0
1901 Arlington Journal ...

     THE ARLINGTON JOURNAL, Arlington, Texas. 1901 (KARL H. WORD, Editor C. W. KENT, Business Manager KENT & WORD, Proprietors)

Thursday January 10, 1901LONE STAR LINES.

W. A. Scott, a Franklin merchant, died suddenly.

J. W. Hamilton died at Italy from an overdose of morphine.

Peter Starske, a Bohemian, died from exposure in a pasture near La Grange.

There were 1246 marriage licenses issued by Dallas county‘s clerk during 1900.

The county clerk‘s office of Tarrant county issued 651 marriage licenses last year.

W. R. Crockett, editor of the Longview Daily Leader and a well-known newspaper man, is


Contracts were let at Corsicana for a number of oil wells in undefined territory. This is a

    result of the recent advances in the price of crude oil which in two weeks jumped from 85c to

    95c a barrel.

    The negro King, convicted of the killing of Policeman Mitchell, at Waco, will have another trial. Judge Scott, before whom King was tried, has sustained a motion for a new trial because that

    there was no negro on the grand jury which indicted King.

Myrtle McLennon, aged 4 years, daughter of Laura McLennan, a colored woman, died at

    Waco. The child‘s clothes ignited while she was warming her hands at the fire place, and

    before she could be rescued the little child had suffered fatal injury.

Thursday January 10, 1901GLOBE GLEANINGS.

Arizona wants statehood.

London papers contained long obituaries of the late Ignatius Donnelly.

Hiram Hitchcock, the last of the founders of the Fifth Avenue hotel, New York, died at the

    hotel from pneumonia.

J. P. Sain, for the past seven years editor of the Volksblatt, of Pittsburg, Pa., fell backwards

    from a street car and was almost instantly killed. His neck was broken.

The Berlin press discusses in a pessimistic tone the most recent developments in the South

    African situation, which is considered to have grown critical for England.

The millionaire philanthropist, Dr. Pierson, believes the mountain girls of Kentucky can solve

    the servant girl question and wants training schools established in that state.

Noah McGinnis was hanged at Butler, O., for the murder of Frederick M. Barcherting. He

    confessed that he had no intention of shooting Barcherting, but only shot to scare him.

Charles C. Morschheimer, a well-known traveling salesman of Pine Bluff, Ark., shot and killed

    Charles Bradley, proprietor of the Bradley house at Hamburg. Self Defense is claimed.

Caseneau McLeod was found dead in the bathroom of his residence at Richmond, Va., with a

    bullet hole in his head and a pistol lying by his side. It is believed he committed suicide. Mr.

    Mcleod was 56 years of age and born in Galveston.

     THE ARLINGTON JOURNAL, Arlington, Texas. 1901 Thursday January 10, 1901 DOCTORS DISAGREE

     And as a Result One of Them Has His Earthly Career Ended.

     Alexandria, La., Jan. 8. A deplorable tragedy occurred here, in which Dr. S. B. Bevill

    was killed by Dr. C. J. Gremillion, the latter the son of C. C. Gremillion of this city. The

    shooting was done on the pavement on Murray street. Dr. Bevill was shot twice above the

    heart and the big artery cut. He fell and died in a few seconds, the blood gushing from his

    nose and mouth. The body lay on the pavement until the coroner arrived, when it was taken

    to an undertaker‘s and embalmed. A 45-caliber revolver was found on the person of Dr. Bevill. He was shot before he had a chance to use it. Only one shot was fired, and that was by Dr.


     Dr. Bevill had a mother, who resides at Coal Bluff, Ala., and he also had several sisters

    and brothers.

     The trouble that led up to the shooting, it is said, was as follows: Dr. Bevill was

    attending Louis Steick and the family asked for a consulting physician, and Dr. Gremillion was

    called. He and Dr. Bevill did not agree in their diagnosis of the case. Dr. Bevill claimed that

    after he left Dr. Gremillion influenced the Steick family to discharge him, and then Dr.

    Gremillion was given the case, and he called in Dr. Gordon as consulting physician. Dr. Bevill

    was greatly incensed, and when the men met hot words must have passed between them, when

    the shooting occurred. The testimony before the coroner‘s jury showed that Bevill had threatened to kill Dr. Gremillion.

Thursday January 10, 1901 Awful Disaster

     Rochester, N. Y., Jan. 8. Fire broke out in the hospital section of the Rochester

    Orphan asylum at 1 o‘clock Monday morning and the flames spread rapidly to other sections of the institution. It is known that nineteen of the children perished and it is feared that

    many more victims may be reported later.

     A terrible explosion was heard and in a moment the entire hospital section was one

    mass of flames.

Thursday January 10, 1901 Wonderfully Rare

     London, Jan. 8. A Roman Catholic sister of charity, writing from the Maison de Jesu

    Enfant at Ningh-Po Nov. 30, describes the massacre at Ninking of 100 little boys. Some of

    them, she says, were roasted alive in the church. Others escaped to the orphanage outside of

    the city, but all were killed and the place burned. Despite threats of torture and the frequency

    of most painful deaths, the sister declares ―apostacy was wonderfully rare.‖

Thursday January 10, 1901 Much Uneasiness

     Gainesville, Tex., Jan. 8. Small-pox has broke out in the Callisburg neighborhood, ten

    miles northeast of Gainesville and the people in that locality are greatly alarmed fearing that

    the pest may assume an epidemic form, as a number of the persons exposed to the disease

    have been attending the public school at Callisburg and on this account the schools have been

    closed and some sixty families, quarantined. On Sunday night an old lady residing one mile

    west of Callisburg died of the disease and there are five more serious cases in her family. The

    county physician, C. R. Johnson, went to that neighborhood Monday to investigate the

    situation which parties from there report as very serious.

Thursday January 10, 1901 Three Lost Their Lives

     Galveston, Tex., Jan. 8. The British steamer Domingo de Larringa arrived in port with

    the report of an explosion of the main steam pipe, the accident resulting in the deaths of two

    firemen and a stowaway.

     Two Spaniards, Jose Campos and Manuel Duenos, were taken out dead and horribly disfigured by the scalding steam. The third victim was a negro stowaway whose name was


     THE ARLINGTON JOURNAL, Arlington, Texas. 1901 Thursday January 10, 1901ARMOUR IS DEAD.

     The Noted Chicagoan Passes Away at His Residence


     One of the Leading Factors in the Pork and Beef Industries and Interested in

     Other Enterprises.

    Chicago, Ill., Jan. 7. Philip Danforth Armour, philanthropist, financier and multi-millionaire, head of the vast commercial establishment that bears his name, died at his home

    2115 Prairie avenue, at 5:45 Sunday afternoon.

     Muscular affection of the heart, known to the medical profession as myocarditis, was

    the immediate cause of death. He had been slowly recovering from pneumonia, that for three

    weeks had threatened his life. At 9 o‘clock Sunday morning his heart gave way under the

    strain of his recent illness, his pulse running up to 103. That was the beginning of the end.

    Mr. Armour was surrounded by his family when he died. Those at his bedside besides his

    physician and nurses were his wife, Mrs. Philip D. Armour and Rev. Frank Gunsaulus. The

    millionaire retained consciousness until within an hour of his death.

     During the day he had realized that death was near. To those around him he said: ―I

    know I am very sick, and am ready for death when it comes.‖

     Soon after luncheon, and just before the physician forbade his talking more, Mr.

    Armour in feeble tones said that he would like to hear the Lord‘s prayer read. One of the

    trained nurses who had been attending him drew a chair to the bedside and slowly read from

    the Bible the prayer for which Armour, and Rev. Fran Gunsaulus, sentence by sentence, and

    each was repeated by Mr. Armour. When the ―Amen‖ had been repeated by him, he sank back

    on the pillow and closed his eyes restfully. It was the last words the great financier spoke

    except feeble farewells to his family, and a little later passed away.

     Dr. Frank Billings, who was at Mr. Armour‘s bedside when the end came and who had

    been almost constantly in attendance upon the sick man, stated that he had heard Mr. Armour

    make no mention of his interest in or profits arising from the gigantic Milwaukee-Great

    Northern deal, by which he was reputed to have made $3,000,000 to $6,000,000 a week before

    last. He looked upon such holdings, said Dr. Billings ―as investments rather than from the

    speculative view point.‖

     ‖We were not altogether unprepared for my father‘s death,‖ said J. Ogden Armour. ―All

    the members of the family had been here since the relapse of Sunday morning, in anticipation

    of the most serious turn of events.‖

     While Mr. Armour‘s name was more generally associated in the public mind with the

    great packing and provision establishments in which he was interested and which do an

    annual business exceeding one hundred million dollars, employing 20,000 persons and having

    representatives in every city of importance in the world, he was actively interested in many

    other big enterprises.

Thursday January 10, 1901SUFFOCATED BY SMOKE

     Eight Men Lose Their Lives in a Building at Minneapolis.

     Minneapolis, Minn., Jan. 7. Eight men lost their lives in a fire at 115 Washington

    avenue, south, at 3 o‘clock Sunday morning, which had its origin in the rear of the Standard

    furniture store. The men were overtaken by an intense volume of smoke in the Harvard hotel,

    which occupies the second, third and fourth floors of the building, and death in every instance

    was due to suffocation. The fire was discovered by Charles Hanson as he was about to go to

    his room on the second floor. He immediately apprised George O‘Connor, the night clerk, and

    the two men set about to awaken the lodgers. Hanson devoted his attention to the second

    floor, while O‘Connor rushed upstairs. The men were all sound asleep, and it was with the greatest difficulty that they were aroused. In several instances it was necessary for O‘Connor

    to break in the door.

     In the meantime he gave the alarm, and the warning was spread. O‘Connor was finally

    forced to beat a retreat on account of the smoke. What took place in the dingy rooms and

    narrow, dark hallways will never be known. It was a case of each man rushing for his own

    life. Nineteen of the twenty-seven lodgers were successful, but the others were unable to beat

     THE ARLINGTON JOURNAL, Arlington, Texas. 1901

    their way through the smoke, where they were found by the firemen. Many of those who

    escaped came staggering out on the snowy sidewalk like drunken men, barely making their

    way through the deadly smoke and heat, and only partially clad.

Thursday January 10, 1901

     Frank L. Stewart, a well known theatrical agent, died at St. Louis.

Thursday January 10, 1901 Louisiana Killing

     Leesville, La., Jan. 7. A fatal difficulty occurred on Sabine river Sunday morning, in which young John Murray was shot and killed by James Ferguson. The two parties were alone when the sad tragedy occurred, and only the Ferguson version of the affair can be

    obtained, which, according to his statement, was a case of self-defense. Ferguson came in

    town Sunday morning and gave himself up to the authorities, and is now in jail.