Professor Yi-Ming Arthur Chen
Yi-Ming A. Chen M.D., M.S., Sc.D.
Distinguished Professor, Institute of Microbiology and Immunology
National Yang-Ming University ?NYMU?
Director International Health Program, NYMU Dean Office of International Affairs, NYMU Director AIDS Prevention and Research Center, NYMU
Professor Institute of Brain Research, NYMU
Institute of Clinical Medicine, NYMU
Research member Vaccine Research and Development Center
National Health Research Institute
Committees services in the campus:
Member: Biosafety Level 3 lab committee (2004 till mow)
Member: Sonogram committee (2009-2011)
Chairman: Ethical committee (2009-2011)
1975-82 M.D., Department of Medicine, National Yang-Ming Medical College,
1982-84 M.S., Institute of Microbiology and Immunology, NYMU, Taiwan 1986-90 Sc.D., Department of Cancer Biology, Harvard School of Public Health,
Boston, MA, USA
1982-1984 Teaching Assistant, Department of Microbiology and Immunology,
1984-1986 Aviation Doctor, Air-force General Hospital, (Military services), Taiwan 1986 Lecturer, Department of Microbiology and Immunology, NYMU 1990-1992 Visiting Scientist, Lab of Molecular Oncology, National Cancer Institute,
1992-1998 Associate Professor, Institute of Public Health, NYMU, Taiwan 1992-1994 Associate Research Member, Institute of Biomedical Sciences, Academia
1998-2007 Professor, Institute of Public Health, NYMU, Taiwan 2002-2003 Visiting Scientist, HIV Drug Resistance Program, NCI, USA
Advisory/steering committee and society
Member, AIDS Advisory Committee, Centers of Disease Control, Ministry 1992-2004
of Health, Taiwan
2004-2009 Member, Committee for AIDS Prevention and HIV-infected People’s
Rights Protection, Executive Yuan, Taiwan
1994-2008 Founder and Coordinator, Living with Hope Organization (希望工作坊)
1993-2009 Board Member, Taiwan Society of Preventive Medicine (has been elected
as secretary general in 1993-1996, as chairman in 1997-2003) 1996-2006 Advisory Board on Health Issues, Consumer Foundation, Taiwan ?消基
1996-2009 Board member, Taiwan AIDS Hope Association (台灣社團法人愛之希
1998-2006 Council of Representative, Asia Pacific AIDS Services Organization
2001-2009 Member, AIDS Education Advisory Committee, Ministry of Health,
2004-2009 Member, Steering committee, Therapeutic Research, Education and AIDS
Training in Asia (TREAT Asia) (has been elected as the chair since 2008)
Regional Task Force on HIV/AIDS Care and support in Asia2001-2003
2002-2005 Vice Chairman, Global Chinese AIDS Network (全球華人抗愛滋聯盟)
2008-2010 Vice Chairman, Global Chinese AIDS Network (全球華人抗愛滋聯盟)
2001 Medical Advisory Board, OmniViral Therapeutics LLC
2005-2007 Chairman, Taiwan AIDS Quilt Association (台灣愛滋被單協會)
2006-2009 Board member, Harmony Home Association ?台灣關愛之家協會?
2003-2009 Board member, Taiwan Society of Epidemiology
2007-2010 Chairman, Taiwan Harm Reduction Association ?台灣減害協會?
2006-2009 Consultant, Centers for Disease Control, Taiwan
2007-2009 Consultant, Anti-drug Usage association, Tao-Yuan Prefecture, Taiwan
2007-2009 Consultant, Taipei City Government
2008-2009 Board Member, Taiwan Society of Microbiology
2008-2010 Managing Supervisor, Taiwan Society of Preventive Medicine 2008-2009 Board Member, Taiwan Can Love Association ?台灣肯愛協會?
2008-2009 TREAT Asia Steering Committee Chair
2009 Committee Member, Global Vaccine Access Council (University of
Western Ontario, Canada)
Member of the following societies: International Liver Cancer Association (member #100708), American Association for Cancer Research (AACR) (member #52595), American Society of Microbiology and Immunology, American Society of Human Genetics, International AIDS Society (ID number 32042), Taiwan Society of Epidemiology, Taiwan Society of Preventive Medicine, Taiwan Society of Microbiology, Society of Public Health of ROC, Society of Cancer of ROC, Chinese Medical Association.
Honors and awards
1. Scholarship from Society of Microbiology of ROC, Yen Shi-Chung Award, 1983. 2. Scholarship from the Ministry of Education to study abroad, Taiwan, R.O.C.,
3. Scholarship from the Fogarty International Center, National Institutes of Health,
Program of International Training Grants 1989-92.
4. Education and Culture Award, Significant Contribution to the Scientific Education
for the Public, from the Ministry of Education, Taiwan, 1993.
5. Research award, from the National Science Council, Taiwan, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1997,
1999 and 2000.
6. Secretary General, the First, Second and Third Taipei International AIDS
Conferences, 1990, 1992 and 1994.
7. Candidate for the International Prince Mahidol Award from Thailand, nominated by
the Department of Health, Executive Yuan, R.O.C., 1994.
8. Young Investigator Award, First Joint Annual Conference of the Society of Oncology,
th9. Who’s Who in the World, 2001, 18 edition.
10. Who’s Who in Medicine and Healthcare, 2002-2003.
11. Scholarships from the National Science of Council of ROC for short-term training
12. Outstanding Research Award from National Science Council, 2008.
13. Outstanding alumnus, Fu-Xin Primary school, 2004.
14. Invited as a reviewer for the following grant applications: National Science Council
(committee members on the Public Health and Environmental Sciences), University
Grants of Hong Kong, Specific Region of China and Pfizer AIDS foundation. 15. Best Paper Award from the Urbani Foundation 2005 and 2007.
16. Award to Special contribution to harm reduction program, 2007 from Ministry of
17. The Second Best Research Paper Award of the Chinese Medical Association Annual
18. The Best Research Paper Award of the Taipei City Hospital grants, 2007. 19. Outstanding alumnus (Academic achievement), National Yang-Ming University,
20. Associate Editor, BMJ-Infectious Disease (since 2008); BMJ-Research Note (since
18. Editorial board member: Chinese Journal of Medicine, The Open Hepatology Journal
(since 2008), Newsletter for Research on Applied Ethics (since 2000, in Chinese),
Liver Cancer Review Letters (since 2009), World Journal Hepatology (2009-2013).
19. Ad hoc referee for the following journals, institutions and conference organizers:
AIDS Research and Human Retroviruses,
Journal of Hepatology
Journal of infectious Disease
Experimental Biology and Medicine
Taiwan J. Public Health
Jouranl of Chinese Society of Physiology Acta Pharmacol Sin
Infection Genetic and Evolution
International Journal of Drug Policy Environmental Health Perspectives
the XIII, XIV, XV and XVI International AIDS Conferences;
thththe 6 and 7 International Conference on AIDS in Asia and Pacific (ICAAP);
ththe 4 IAS meeting
National Medical Research Council of Singapore Hong Kong Department of Health
Referred papers: (*corresponding author)
1. Chen YM, Hu CP, Wong FH, et al. Circulating immune complexes in the sera and
ascites of hepatocellular carcinoma patients. Chinese J. Micro. Immunol. 19:34-45,