Professor Yi-Ming Arthur Chen
Yi-Ming A. Chen M.D., M.S., Sc.D.
Distinguished Professor, Institute of Microbiology and Immunology
National Yang-Ming University ?NYMU?
Director International Health Program, NYMU Dean Office of International Affairs, NYMU Director AIDS Prevention and Research Center, NYMU
Professor Institute of Brain Research, NYMU
Institute of Clinical Medicine, NYMU
Research member Vaccine Research and Development Center
National Health Research Institute
Committees services in the campus:
Member: Biosafety Level 3 lab committee (2004 till mow)
Member: Sonogram committee (2009-2011)
Chairman: Ethical committee (2009-2011)
1975-82 M.D., Department of Medicine, National Yang-Ming Medical College,
1982-84 M.S., Institute of Microbiology and Immunology, NYMU, Taiwan 1986-90 Sc.D., Department of Cancer Biology, Harvard School of Public Health,
Boston, MA, USA
1982-1984 Teaching Assistant, Department of Microbiology and Immunology,
1984-1986 Aviation Doctor, Air-force General Hospital, (Military services), Taiwan 1986 Lecturer, Department of Microbiology and Immunology, NYMU 1990-1992 Visiting Scientist, Lab of Molecular Oncology, National Cancer Institute,
1992-1998 Associate Professor, Institute of Public Health, NYMU, Taiwan 1992-1994 Associate Research Member, Institute of Biomedical Sciences, Academia
1998-2007 Professor, Institute of Public Health, NYMU, Taiwan 2002-2003 Visiting Scientist, HIV Drug Resistance Program, NCI, USA
Advisory/steering committee and society
Member, AIDS Advisory Committee, Centers of Disease Control, Ministry 1992-2004
of Health, Taiwan
2004-2009 Member, Committee for AIDS Prevention and HIV-infected People’s
Rights Protection, Executive Yuan, Taiwan
1994-2008 Founder and Coordinator, Living with Hope Organization (希望工作坊)
1993-2009 Board Member, Taiwan Society of Preventive Medicine (has been elected
as secretary general in 1993-1996, as chairman in 1997-2003) 1996-2006 Advisory Board on Health Issues, Consumer Foundation, Taiwan ?消基
1996-2009 Board member, Taiwan AIDS Hope Association (台灣社團法人愛之希
1998-2006 Council of Representative, Asia Pacific AIDS Services Organization
2001-2009 Member, AIDS Education Advisory Committee, Ministry of Health,
2004-2009 Member, Steering committee, Therapeutic Research, Education and AIDS
Training in Asia (TREAT Asia) (has been elected as the chair since 2008)
Regional Task Force on HIV/AIDS Care and support in Asia2001-2003
2002-2005 Vice Chairman, Global Chinese AIDS Network (全球華人抗愛滋聯盟)
2008-2010 Vice Chairman, Global Chinese AIDS Network (全球華人抗愛滋聯盟)
2001 Medical Advisory Board, OmniViral Therapeutics LLC
2005-2007 Chairman, Taiwan AIDS Quilt Association (台灣愛滋被單協會)
2006-2009 Board member, Harmony Home Association ?台灣關愛之家協會?
2003-2009 Board member, Taiwan Society of Epidemiology
2007-2010 Chairman, Taiwan Harm Reduction Association ?台灣減害協會?
2006-2009 Consultant, Centers for Disease Control, Taiwan
2007-2009 Consultant, Anti-drug Usage association, Tao-Yuan Prefecture, Taiwan
2007-2009 Consultant, Taipei City Government
2008-2009 Board Member, Taiwan Society of Microbiology
2008-2010 Managing Supervisor, Taiwan Society of Preventive Medicine 2008-2009 Board Member, Taiwan Can Love Association ?台灣肯愛協會?
2008-2009 TREAT Asia Steering Committee Chair
2009 Committee Member, Global Vaccine Access Council (University of
Western Ontario, Canada)
Member of the following societies: International Liver Cancer Association (member #100708), American Association for Cancer Research (AACR) (member #52595), American Society of Microbiology and Immunology, American Society of Human Genetics, International AIDS Society (ID number 32042), Taiwan Society of Epidemiology, Taiwan Society of Preventive Medicine, Taiwan Society of Microbiology, Society of Public Health of ROC, Society of Cancer of ROC, Chinese Medical Association.
Honors and awards
1. Scholarship from Society of Microbiology of ROC, Yen Shi-Chung Award, 1983. 2. Scholarship from the Ministry of Education to study abroad, Taiwan, R.O.C.,
3. Scholarship from the Fogarty International Center, National Institutes of Health,
Program of International Training Grants 1989-92.
4. Education and Culture Award, Significant Contribution to the Scientific Education
for the Public, from the Ministry of Education, Taiwan, 1993.
5. Research award, from the National Science Council, Taiwan, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1997,
1999 and 2000.
6. Secretary General, the First, Second and Third Taipei International AIDS
Conferences, 1990, 1992 and 1994.
7. Candidate for the International Prince Mahidol Award from Thailand, nominated by
the Department of Health, Executive Yuan, R.O.C., 1994.
8. Young Investigator Award, First Joint Annual Conference of the Society of Oncology,
th9. Who’s Who in the World, 2001, 18 edition.
10. Who’s Who in Medicine and Healthcare, 2002-2003.
11. Scholarships from the National Science of Council of ROC for short-term training
12. Outstanding Research Award from National Science Council, 2008.
13. Outstanding alumnus, Fu-Xin Primary school, 2004.
14. Invited as a reviewer for the following grant applications: National Science Council
(committee members on the Public Health and Environmental Sciences), University
Grants of Hong Kong, Specific Region of China and Pfizer AIDS foundation. 15. Best Paper Award from the Urbani Foundation 2005 and 2007.
16. Award to Special contribution to harm reduction program, 2007 from Ministry of
17. The Second Best Research Paper Award of the Chinese Medical Association Annual
18. The Best Research Paper Award of the Taipei City Hospital grants, 2007. 19. Outstanding alumnus (Academic achievement), National Yang-Ming University,
20. Associate Editor, BMJ-Infectious Disease (since 2008); BMJ-Research Note (since
18. Editorial board member: Chinese Journal of Medicine, The Open Hepatology Journal
(since 2008), Newsletter for Research on Applied Ethics (since 2000, in Chinese),
Liver Cancer Review Letters (since 2009), World Journal Hepatology (2009-2013).
19. Ad hoc referee for the following journals, institutions and conference organizers:
AIDS Research and Human Retroviruses,
Journal of Hepatology
Journal of infectious Disease
Experimental Biology and Medicine
Taiwan J. Public Health
Jouranl of Chinese Society of Physiology Acta Pharmacol Sin
Infection Genetic and Evolution
International Journal of Drug Policy Environmental Health Perspectives
the XIII, XIV, XV and XVI International AIDS Conferences;
thththe 6 and 7 International Conference on AIDS in Asia and Pacific (ICAAP);
ththe 4 IAS meeting
National Medical Research Council of Singapore Hong Kong Department of Health
Referred papers: (*corresponding author)
1. Chen YM, Hu CP, Wong FH, et al. Circulating immune complexes in the sera and
ascites of hepatocellular carcinoma patients. Chinese J. Micro. Immunol. 19:34-45,
2. Chen YM, Hu C, Chen P, et al. Nuclear antigens reacted with sera and ascites of
hepatocellular carcinoma patients. Hepatology 8:547-552, 1988.
3. Matsuda Z, Chou MJ, Matsuda M, Huang JH, Chen YM, Redfield R, Mayer K, Essex
M and Lee TH. Human immunodeficiency virus type 1 has an additional coding
sequence in the central region of the genome. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci., USA 85:
4. Chen YM, Lee TH, Samuel KP, Okayama A, Tachibana N, Miyoshi I, Papas TS, and
Essex M. Antibody reactivity to different regions of human T-cell leukemia virus
type-I (HTLV-I) gp61 in infected people. J Virol 63: 4952-4957, 1989. 5. Chen YM, Lee TH, Wiktor SZ, Shaw GM, Murphy EL, Blattner WA and Essex M.
Type-specific antigens for serological discrimination of HTLV-I and II infection.
Lancet 336: 1153-1155, 1990.
6. Chen YM, Gomez-Lucia E, Okayama A, Tachibana N, Lee TH, Mueller N and Essex
M. The antibody profile of early HTLV-I infection. Lancet 336: 1214-1216, 1990. 7. Okayama A, Chen YM, Tachibana N, Shioiri S, Lee TH, Tsuda K and Essex M.
High incidence of antibodies to HTLV-I tax in blood relatives of adult T-cell
leukemia patients. J. Infect. Dis. 163: 47-52, 1991.
8. Chen YM, Okayama A, Lee TH, Tachibana N, Mueller N and Essex M. Sexual
transmission of HTLV-I associated with the presence of the anti-tax antibody. Proc.
Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 88: 1182-1186, 1991.
9. Chen YM and Essex M. Identification of a recombinant HTLV-II envelope protein
with distinguishing reactivities to sera from HTLV-II carriers. AIDS Res. Hum.
Retroviruses 7: 453-457,1991.
10. Chen YM, Zhang X-q, Dahl C, Samuel KP, Schooley RT, Essex M and Papas TS.
Delineation of type-specific regions on human T-cell leukemia virus envelope
glycoproteins. J. Immunol. 147: 2368-2376, 1991.
11. Chen YM*. Serological discrimination of HTLV-I and HTLV-II infection by
recombinant protein-western blot assays. Biomed. Pharmacotheraphy 45:274, 1991. 12. Okayama A, Kober B, Chen YM, Allan J, Lee TH, Shioiri S, Tachibana N, Tsuda K,
Mueller N, Mclane MF, Maayan S, Markink R, Orgad S and Essex M. Unusual
pattern of antibodies to HTLV-I in family members of adult T-cell leukemia patients.
Blood 78: 3323-3329, 1991.
26. Shieh B, Lee C-M, Su I-J, Chen YM and Li C. Molecular subtyping of the V3 loop
sequences detected in HIV-1-positive patients at the National Cheng Kung University
Hospital. Chinese J. Micro. Immunol. 30: 46-54, 1997.
27. Li C, Yan Y-P, Shieh B, Lee C-M, Lin R-Y, and Chen YM*. Analysis of the CKR5
allele in AIDS patients and female sex workers in Taiwan. J. Formos. Med. Assoc. 96:
28. Chen YM*, Chen S-H, Chen J-Y and Osame M. Antibody reactivities to
tumor-suppressor protein p53 and HTLV-I Tof, Rex and Tax in HTLV-I infected
people with differing clinical status. Int. J. Cancer 71:196-202, 1997. 29. Chen Y-J, Shih L-S, Chang J-G, Whang-Peng J, and Chen YM*. Frequent detection
of aberrant RNA transcripts of the CDKN2 gene in human gastric adenocarcinoma.
Int. J. Cancer 71: 350-354, 1997.
30. Chen YM*, Yu PS, Lin C-C and Jen I. Surveys of HIV-1 HTLV-I and other sexually
transmitted diseases among female sex workers in Taipei city and prefectures, Taiwan
from 1993 to 1996. JAIDS J. Acquir. Immun. Defic. Syndr. Hum. Retrovirol. 18:
31. Chen YM*, Lee C-M, Lin R-Y, Chang H-J. Molecular epidemiology and Trends of
HIV-1 Subtypes in Taiwan. JAIDS J. Acquir. Immun. Defic. Syndr. Hum. Retrovirol.
19: 393-402, 1998.
32. Chen YM*, Shiu J-Y, Tzeng SJ, Li-Sun Shih, Yi-Jen Chen and Lui W-Y.
Characterization of the glycine-N-methyltransferase-gene expression in human
hepatocellular carcinoma. Int. J. Cancer 75: 787-793, 1998.
33. Chen Y-J, ShihL-S and Chen YM*. Quantitative analysis of CDKN2, p53 and
retinoblastoma mRNA in human gastric carcinoma. Int J Oncol 13: 249-254, 1998. 34. Chen YM*, Lin R-H, Lee C-M, Fu C-Y, Chen S-C and Syu W-J. Decreasing levels
of anti-Nef antibody correlate with increasing viral loads and AIDS disease
progression. AIDS Res. Human Retroviruses 15: 43-50, 1999.
35. Chen YM*, Ting S-T, Lee C-M, W-T Liu, Pan W-H, TA Chang, Chou P.
Community-based molecular epidemiology of human T-cell leukemia virus type I
infection in Taiwan and Kinmen: Implication of the origin of the cosmopolitan
subtype in North East Asia. AIDS Res Human Retroviruses 15: 229-237, 1999. 36. Liou YM, Chou P, Chen YM*. Genotypic Analysis of HCV infection in Kinmen. J.
Microbiol. Immunol. Infect. 33: 63-68, 2000.
37. Chen YM*, Chen LY, Wong FH, Lee CM, Chang TJ, Yang-Feng TL. Genomic
structure, expression and chromosomal localization of the human glycine
N-methyltransferase gene. Genomics 66: 43-47, 2000.
38. Chen YM*, Huang KL, Jen I, Chen SC, Liu YC, Chuang YC, Wong JC,Tsai JJ.
Temporal trends and molecular epidemiology of HIV-1 Subtypes in Taiwan from
1988 to 1998. JAIDS J. Acquir. Immun. Defic. Syndr. Hum. Retrovirol. 26: 274-282,
39. Chen YM*, Rey WY, Lan YC, Lai SF, Huang YC, Wu SI, Liu TT, Hsiao KJ.
Antibody reactivity to HIV-1 Vpu in HIV-1/AIDS patients on highly active
antiretroviral therapy. J. Biomed. Sci. 10: 266-275, 2003.
40. Yang MH, Chen YM, Kuo BI, Wang KY. Quality of life and related factors for
people living with HIV/AIDS in Northern Taiwan. J. Nurs. Res. 11: 217-26, 2003. 41. Liu HH, Chen KH, Shih YP, Lui WY, Wong FH, Chen YM*. Characterization of
reduced expression of glycine N-methyltransferase in the cancerous hepatic tissues
using two newly developed monoclonal antibodies. J. Biomed. Sci. 10: 87-97, 2003. 42. Tseng TL, Shih YP, Huang YC, Wang CK, Chen PH, Chang JG, Yeh KT, Chen
YM*, Buetow K. Genotypic and phenotypic characterization of a putative tumor
susceptibility gene, GNMT, in liver cancer. Cancer Res. 63: 647-654, 2003. 43. Chen SY, Lin JR, Darbha R, Liu TY, Lin CH, Chen YM*. Glycine
N-Methyltransferase tumor susceptibility gene in the Benzo(a)pyrene-detoxification
pathway. Cancer Res. 64: 3617-3623, 2004.
44. Lan YC, Liu HF, Shih YP, Yang JY, Chen HY, Chen YM*. Phylogenetic analysis
and sequence comparisons of structural and non-structural SARS coronavirus
proteins in Taiwan. Infect. Genetic. Evolu. 5: 261-269, 2005.
45. Lan YC, Liu TT, Yang JY, Chen YJ, Lu JJ, Chan YJ, Liu HF, Chen HY, Suing CA,
Hsiao KJ, Ho MS, Chen YM*. Molecular epidemiology of SARS coronavirus
infection in Taiwan. J. Infect. Dis. 191: 1478-1489, 2005.
46. Huang CY, Sun CT, Hsieh JL, Chen YM, Lin H. A novel small-world model: using
social mirror identities for epidemic simulations. Simulation 81: 671-699, 2005. 47. Zhou J, Kumarasamy N, Zhang F, Zhao H, Han N, Li P, Lee MP, Chen YM, Wong
WW, Wang DCC, Anand S, Cecelia JA, Pujari S, Joshi K, Lee CKC, Kaur S,
Kamarulzaman A, Ditangco R, Capistrano R, Paton NI, Yap M, Phanuphak P,
Siangphe U, Khongphattanayothing M, Vibhagool A, Kiertiburanakul S, Kiatatchasai
W, Chuah J, Fankhauser W, Dickson B, Frost K, Wong S, Cooper DA, Law MG,
Petoumenos K. Predicting short-term disease progression among HIV-infected
patients in Asia and the Pacific region: Preliminary results from the TREAT Asia
HIV Observational Database (TAHOD) HIV Med 6: 216-223, 2005.
48. Chen WJ, Yang JY, Lin JH, Fann CSJ, Osyetrov V, King CC. Chen YM, H. L.
Chang HL, Kuo HW, F. Liao F, Ho MS. Nasopharyngeal shedding of severe acute
respiratory syndrome-associated coronavirus is associated with genetic
polymorphisms. Clin. Infect. Dis. 42: 1561-1569, 2006.
49. Chen, YM*, Liang SY, Chu DC, Lee YM, Chang L, Jung SY, Chen HY, Chjan YJ,
Ho MS, Liang KY, Jang Y-J, Chu T-C. Epidemiological and genetic correlates of
SARS coronavirus infection in a hospital with the highest nosocomial infection rate
in Taiwan in 2003. J. Clinc. Microbio. 44: 359-365, 2006.
50. Hsieh YH, Lee SM, Chen CW-S, Chen YM, Wu S-I, Lai SF. Estimating the
HIV-1-infected population size within hard-to-count MSM groups: the case of gay
saunas patrons in Taipei area. Physica A 362: 495-503, 2006.
51. Chen YM*, Lan YC, Lai SF, Yang JY, Tsai SF, Kuo HS. HIV-1 CRF07_BC
infections, injecting drug users, Taiwan. Emerg. Infect. Dis. 12: 703-705, 2006. 52. Lee CM, Chen SY, Lee YCG, Huang CYF, Chen YM*. Benzo[a]pyrene and glycine
N-methyltransferse interactions: Gene expression profiles of the liver detoxification
pathway. Toxicol. Appl. Pharmacol. 214: 126-135, 2006.
53. Chiu HC, Wang FD, Chen YM, Wang CT. Effects of human immunodeficiency virus
type 1 transframe protein p6* mutations on viral protease-mediated Gag processing. J.
Gen. Virol. 87: 2041-2046, 2006.
54. Qiu JT, Chang TC, Lin CT, Chen YM, Li F, Soong YK, Lai CH. Novel
codon-optimized GM-CSF gene as an adjuvant to enhance the immunity of a DNA
vaccine against HIV-1 Gag. Vaccine Vaccine. 2006 Aug 4; [Epub ahead of print]. 55. Shih YP, Chen CY, Liu SJ, Chen KH, Lee YM, Chao YC, Chen YM.* Identification
of the Epitopes Responsible for Neutralizing Antibody and DC-SIGN Binding on the
Spike Glycoprotein of the Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus. J. Virol.
80: 10315-10324, 2006.
56. Hsu CH, Hwang KC, Chao CL, Chang SGN, Ker CC, Chien LC, Ho MS, Lin JG,
Chen YM, Chou P. The lesson of supplementary treatment with Chinese medicine on
severe laboratory-confirmed SARS patients. Am. J. Chin. Med. 34: 6927-6935, 2006. 57. Zhou J, Paton NI, Ditangco R, Chen YM, A Kamarulzaman, N Kumarasamy, CKC
Lee, PCK Li, TP Merati, P Phanuphak, S Pujari, A Vibhagool, F Zhang, J Chuah, KR
Frost, DA Cooper and MG Law. Experience with the use of a first-line regimen of
stavudine, lamivudine and nevirapine in patients in the TREAT Asia HIV
Observational Database. HIV Med. 8: 8-16, 2007.
58. Coulibaly S, Yen PMN, Fu LA, Chen YM*. Needs assessment of people living with
HIV/AIDS in Taiwan. Taiwan J. Public Health 26: 38-48, 2007.
59. Huang YC, Lee CM, Shih YP, Chung MY, Chang YH, Huang JSW, Ho MTD, Pan
CC, Wu TL, Hsu JM, Yang S, Lin MW, Chen YM.* Characterization of the
haplotypes, loss of heterozygosity and expression levels of glycine
N-methyltransferase gene in prostate cancer. Clin. Cancer Res. 13: 1412-1420, 2007. 60. Chen YM* and Kuo HS. HIV-1 in Taiwan. Lancet 369: 623-625, 2007. (has been
chosen as the Article of the Month, April 2007 by the International Harm Reduction