Resistance and Ohms Law Investigation Block/Names__________________
1. Discover what parameters affects the resistance, R, in a circuit
2. Investigate Ohm’s Law and discover what conditions maximize current flow.
I. Resistance Sim
1. Goto http://phet-web.colorado.edu
2. Click Simulations, Electricity, magnets, and circuits
3. Select Resistance in a Wire
A. Manipulate each button separately and in your own words what does each variable represent(look at what changes)
1. P(Greek letter rho)
B. Discuss these variables with another Group. Do you agree with what each represents?
Make any corrections if needed.
C. In this simulation what factor(s) increase resistance?
D. What other factor(s) not shown in this simulation might also increase resistance? (Think
about reading and class discussion).
II. Ohms Law Sim
1. Close the Resistance in a Wire Sim
2. Open the Ohm’s Law Sim
A. From this Sim explain what each variable represents and give its units
B. Manipulate the buttons. What conditions maximize current?
C. What conditions minimize current?
D. Close the program and log out.
1. Predict what will happen to the current in a circuit if the voltage is kept constant but the wire diameter is increased.
2. Predict what will happen to the current in a circuit if the voltage is kept constant but the wire length is increased.
3. Predict what will happen to the current if the resistance is unchanged but
a. the voltage is increased?
b. the voltage is decreased?
4. Predict what will happen to the resistance if you change from a copper wire, which is a good conductor, to an iron wire, which does not conduct as well.