Silicon Valley Planned Giving Council’s Incubator Program - FY 2010-12
Purpose: to provide resources and hands-on mentoring for local nonprofit organizations developing and implementing endowment programs and planned giving activities for their long-term financial stability.
Problem: While many nonprofit organizations believe a growing endowment fund will help to sustain them, and that a planned giving program is important, most are in need of help to get a program started.
Solution: The Silicon Valley Planned Giving Council (SVPGC) developed a model program to encourage,
instruct, nurture, and support select local nonprofit organizations on their path to establishing and operating
successful and appropriate planned giving and endowment-building programs. This is a mentoring program for
the organization. Over the 10 years of the program, 35+nonprofit organizations and volunteer mentors have participated.
Selection Process: Nonprofit organizations must submit a written request to the SVPGC by Wednesday
July 7, 2010, and will be notified by the 21st regarding acceptance. Follow-up activities and services will take place throughout the two-year period, ending officially by June 30, 2012.
Date/Time (all meetings at 1922 The Alameda, Activity Who Comes
San Jose, CA – just off 880.)
Wednesday July 7, 2010, 5 p.m. – electronically AND Applications Due! (Note NA
physically (see info at end of application) submittal details!!!)
Wednesday July 21, 2010 Groups selected NA
Monday August 9, 2010, 12:00 – 1:30 p.m. Mentee lunch meeting 1+ nonprofit rep.
Tuesday August 10, 2010, 12:00 – 1:30 p.m. Mentor lunch meeting Mentors
Tuesday September 14, 2010, 7:30 a.m. – 1:15 p.m. Kickoff – Planning Required!!! ALL
Training Meeting TEAMS
December 1, 2010 Written Reports Due Email report
Tuesday February 15, 2011, 12:00 – 1:30 p.m. Mid-point check-in ALL TEAMS
Tuesday June 14, 2011, 12:00 – 1:30 p.m. Final Check-in Meeting, ALL TEAMS
Final Written Reports Email report
June 30, 2011, 5 p.m. Applications for 2011-13
Nonprofit organizations will:
1. Submit a completed application, including approval from its governing body to engage in the program,
with at least two volunteers, one of whom must be a Board member, participating.
2. Send a team of 3-6 people, including staff and board/volunteer leaders, to attend a half-day training
session in September, noted above. Key people must be present.
3. Spend at least four hours per month in such activities as discussing or planning with the internal team or
implementing the program.
4. Make this program a priority in organizational and leadership activities for the two-year period. 5. Develop reasonable goals for the year in conjunction with mentors.
6. Pay an annual fee to cover expenses (upon acceptance - $1,000, including all materials, meals). 7. Participate in an evaluation process to guide future program development.
8. Have at least one person with a current membership in the Silicon Valley Planned Giving Council.
will: Silicon Valley Planned Giving Council
1. Provide training sessions and group meetings per calendar.
2. Guide nonprofit participants in developing reasonable goals for the year.
3. Assign a team of Council members to each nonprofit organization to serve as mentors and assist in
reaching the goals.
4. Mentors will attend training sessions and provide at least two hours per month consultation over first year,
and one hour per month in the second year.
5. Maintain regular communication between Council and participants, and share results. 4/13/2010
Nonprofit Application for Silicon Valley Planned Giving Council
Incubator Program - 2010-2012
Must be received by Wednesday July 7, 2010
Organization (name and address):
Tax Id Number: Website:
Top Staff Executive (contact info including phone and email):
Top Development Staff (contact info including phone and email):
Team Members and roles (those who will attend training sessions):
Annual operating budget for most recent Fiscal Year ending (mm/dd/yyyy): Category Actual $ for % for Estimate $ for Est. % for
last FY last FY Current FY Current FY Earned Income (w/o endowment) Government Corporate/business Foundation Individuals/family foundations Organizations United Way Endowment Income Other (specify)
Upon Project Status (Y or N or numbers as requested)
1. #of individuals making financial contributions in most recent fiscal year
2. # of regular active volunteers.
3. # of individual donors giving $5,000 or more at one time in the past 10 years.
4. # of individual donors who have given 10 or more times in the past 2 years.
5. # of individual donors who have given every year for the past 5 years
6. We have a donor recognition society/group (other than an endowment or heritage society). (Y or N)
State the number of members ___________.
7. We have an endowment fund. (Y or N)
8. Value of endowment.
9. Endowment goal (put figure in box).
10. We have a society honoring donors to the endowment fund (endowment fund or heritage society). (Y or N)
11. Number of people in endowment fund society or heritage society.
12. We publish the names of donors to the endowment fund. (Y or N)
13. We annually print at least one major newsletter article about the endowment fund. (Y or N)
14. We have gift policies that were revised ________(month/year)
15. We have an endowment committee or other group focusing on this effort.
16. Our Board had a presentation about Leave a Legacy in the period indicated.
17. # of bequests in past five years/total $.
18. # of charitable trust arrangements/total value of $.
We would like to be considered for the Incubator Program because:
As a result of participating, we hope:
Submit this application form both electronically and physically by 5 p.m. Wednesday July 7, 2010:
1. Electronically (this form only) to firstname.lastname@example.org
2. Physically send five sets of the following items, with copies of the application on the front,
to Colleen Lukoff, c/o John M. Wunderling, Ferrari Ottoboni Caputo & Wunderling, 333 W.
Santa Clara St., Suite 700, San Jose, CA 95113
a. Board of Directors list with Affiliations
b. Board motion approving participation (a copy of minutes or signed certification of top staff
c. Contact information for all parties who will attend one-day training session including name,
address, phone, fax, and email
d. Agency brochure
e. Most recent newsletter
Questions? Contact Colleen at 760-591-9455 or email@example.com.