Key to Cloze
Unit 1 CBBAD BCDAC DCCBA
Unit 2 BDBCB CAABD BDBCD
Unit 3 ACBBC BCDCD BADCD
Unit 4 BCADB ADDCA ABDCC
Unit 5 CCBAB DADCB DAADC
Unit 6 CABBD BACDC CBAAA
Unit 7 DADCD BBCBB DBCCB
Unit 8 CBCAC BDBAA CCADD BADCA
Unit 9 BDBAD BCADC ABACD
Unit 10 BDAAC CABCA DABAD
Key to Translation (C to E)
1. She wouldn’t take a drink, much less would she stay for dinner.
2. He thought I was lying to him, whereas I was telling the truth. 3. How do you account for the fact that you have been late every day this week? 4. The increase in their profits is due partly to their new market strategy. 5. Such measures are likely to result in the improvement of work efficiency. 6. We have already poured a lot of time and energy into the project, so we have to
1. Despite the fact that she is the only child in her family, she is never babied by her
2. Mike didn’t come to the party last night, nor did he call me to give an
3. The person sitting next to him did publish some novels, but he is by no means a
4. He has no interest in football and is indifferent to who wins or loses.
5. The manager needs an assistant that he can count on to take care of problems in
6. This is the first time that he has made a speech in the presence of so large an
1. You are never too experienced to learn new techniques.
2. There remains one problem, namely, who should be sent to head the research
3. Their relationship did meet with some difficulty at the beginning because of
4. Though he has had ups and downs, I believed all along that he would succeed
5. I have some reservations about the truth of your claim.
6. She isn’t particularly tall, but her slim figure gives an illusion of height.
1. It is a great pleasure to meet friends from afar.
2. It doesn’t matter whether the cat is black or white as long as it catches mice. 3. You must let me have the money back without fail by ten o’clock tomorrow
4. Allow me to take part in this project: I am more than a little interested in it. 5. Everyone knows that he is special: he is free to come and go as he pleases. 6. Watching the unhappy look on her face, I felt as though she wished to say
something to me.
1. He spoke confidently, which impressed me most.
2. My father is so forgetful that he is always looking for his keys. 3. I’m very grateful to you for all the help you have given me.
4. The bad light, coupled with the wet ground, made driving very difficult. 5. Being starved of funds, they had to cancel their plan to start a business. 6. They always lean on us whenever they are in trouble.
1. (Just) as a machine needs regular running, so does the body need regular
2. He learned to play the piano while studying in the United States. 3. To our disappointment, he turned down our invitation.
4. The reality is that, for better or worse, the world has changed with the advance of
5. Most of the female students in my class appear to be ill at ease when (they are)
required to answer questions.
6. The local government took charge of the security for the sports meeting.
1; At the meeting they discussed, among other things, the present economic
2; The more I learned about the nature, the more absorbed I became in its mystery. 3; The doctor recommends that those stressed people should try something new,
interesting and challenging in order to give their negative feelings an outlet. 4; The teacher gives more homework to the student who has bad grades instead of
cutting it down.
5; By contrast, American parents are more likely to attribute their children’s success
to natural talent.
6; One of a teacher’s priorities is to stimulate students’ interests and their
1. Little did she know that this picture would one day be worth more than a million
2. While I understand what you say, I don’t agree with you on the issue.
3. I think the police are meant to protect people.
4. I went to see him yesterday, only to find that he had gone abroad several days
5. At the weekly meeting, everyone must confine their remarks to the subject. 6. If only I hadn’t said those silly words! I was too young then to distinguish right
1. I am sure that I will make something of myself, even though I have not achieved
any major success so far.
2. I have been working hard for so many years; I feel I am entitled to a good future. 3. When her husband deserted her, leaving her with nothing but scattered pieces of
life to pick up, she went insane.
4. From my standpoint, Mother was too hard on me then, without taking my
feelings into account.
5. When I reached the summit of my professional career, mother’s words “Never be
a quitter in face of life” were constantly in my mind.
6. You should know better than to play football in the street.
1. I remember the whole thing clearly as though it had happened yesterday. 2. Whichever of them writes the best essay will win the prize.
3. It turned out that the budget provided for a salary increase one year later. 4. She did the same job day after day and year after year, but she never complained. 5. She endured all kinds of hardships on the journey; nothing could keep her from
finding her lost daughter.
6. Don’t get mixed up with that gang. They have committed many bad things in