MIS Analyst (Ref: 02046)
?23,175 - ?27,492 per annum. Grade H, SCP 29 -35
Full Time: 37 hours per week
Join our small, friendly team supporting West Berkshire LEA and schools. This is a challenging, exciting opportunity to support Education to maximise the potential of their Management Information Systems.
Working in a constantly changing IT environment, you will be required to have excellent communication and interpersonal skills. The main responsibilities are technical support for the LEA central system (EMS), including systems maintenance, Crystal report writing, user support and training. We are looking for an enthusiastic team player who is keen to develop with the evolving world of Education IT. It is expected that you will be able to work on your own initiative, as well as becoming part of a committed, dedicated Education IT support team.
For an informal discussion, please contact Jacquie Bate on 01635 519649 quoting reference number 02046.
For an application form and information pack please call the 24-hour answerphone on 01635 519122 or email email@example.com, quoting post reference number 02046. To
be considered for this post, an application form must be completed. Please ensure that your completed form is with us by the closing date.
thClosing Date: 17 November 2006
Authority: West Berkshire Council Service Area: ICT
Post Reference No: 02046 Location: Market Street Job Title: MIS Analyst (Education) Grade/Salary Range: H
1. Reporting to the SIMS Manager for Schools, be responsible for the day to day
systems administration of the LEA EMS Management Information System.
2. Support for and liaison with colleagues in Education ICT, CYP and HR.
3. Assist in managing the WBC relationship with the EMS vendor (Capita)
Education IT ManagerBarry Gellatly (L)37.00Grade L
SIMS Support ManagerSupport AnalystJacqui Bate (S08)Martin Stone (H)37.0037.00Grade KGrade G/H
Support AnalystPaul Davis (H)MIS Analyst37.00Janet Calloway (G)Grade G/H37.00Grade G
Schools SIMS SupportOfficerSue White (SO6)37.00Grade G
MIS Analyst(Education)VACANT (G)37.00Grade G
MIS Analyst(Schools)Sue Humby (G)37.00Grade G
Schools SIMS SupportOfficerJulia Wyard (S06)37.00Grade G
1. Act as the EMS Systems Administrator
2. To ensure the effective and efficient operation of EMS including the following
general systems maintenance functions:
o User account management (including school users)
o Access and security
o Maintenance of look-up tables and user-defined fields
o System audit
o Report and letter production
3. Manage web access to the EMS system through EMSonline (Schools and
CYP) and the online EMS modules
4. In conjunction with the CYP EMS Coordinator, provide day-to-day operational
support to users of EMS, in particular the designated EMS Super Users
5. Plan the regular upgrades to the EMS system and act as the lead in relation to
monitoring changes in functionality due to these upgrades and ensuring that
relevant colleagues are kept fully aware of these changes
6. Participate in regular West Berkshire EMS user group meetings
7. Contribute to the induction of all new staff who are required to use EMS
(primarily CYP and HR)
8. Support ongoing EMS training requirements.
9. Assist in maintaining the relationship with the EMS vendor (Capita) including :
o Ensuring that all EMS module change requests are progressed appropriately
o Attendance at regular meeting with the Capita Account Manager
o Attendance at Capita EMS conferences, software update and software
consultative group meetings as required.
10. Assist in managing the business critical data flows between EMS and schools’
SIMS systems. This will include working with other members of the Education
IT support team and the CYP Data Assistant to provide a comprehensive and
reliable service to achieve synchronisation of school and LEA systems
11. Provide a service to maintain the EMS reports library (Crystal Reports)
12. Provide support and assistance to users in producing their own reports using
the EMS Web Reporting Tool
13. Other duties as may be required from time to time
14. The post holder will accept that in an environment such as I.T. the Job
Description is subject to change and development from time to time
The EMS system acts the major database for CYP in relation to pupils attending West
Berkshire schools. There are at present over 500 users, representing the key
business areas of the Education Service and multiple school users for EMSonline and
Business to Business Transfer.
Job Title: MIS Analyst (Education) Service Grouping / Area: ICT
Authority: WEST BERKSHIRE COUNCIL Post Reference No:
Qualifications And Training Experience in database Degree Standard or Equivalent
administration, UNIX and
Crystal or other report writing
Good working knowledge of the Experience of training and Competence Summary
Microsoft Windows environment supporting users on IT (Knowledge, abilities, skills,
experience) and relational databases systems either formally or
Sound IT background and ability
to evaluate and resolve technical
Ability to understand and evaluate
Ability to analyse and resolve
Ability to plan and organise own
Well organised and self motivated. Work-related Personal
Able to work under pressure.
Professional appearance, with an
assertive and calm manner.
Excellent interpersonal and
communication skills for winning
the confidence of staff at varying
Other Work Requirements Works outside normal hours as Sense of humour
Full driving licence and use
of a car in the performance
of official duties.