55 E. Heath St. (240) 855-3216 Online Portfolio: Baltimore, MD 21230 firstname.lastname@example.org http://www.kylewmcgowan.com
Seeking full-time creative team management or support position in graphic/web design, user interface development, and/or marketing strategies.
SUMMARY OF QUALIFICATIONS
• 11+ years experience in web site layout, design, and programming for projects ranging from basic informational sites to complex internet-based
• Ability to creatively convey customer vision through web application development, including front and back-end user-interface design.
• Creation of strong brand identities by developing custom electronic and print-based solutions for online and brick and mortar businesses.
• Proven project and team management skills as evidenced by successful opening of largest U.S. concept store for Marimekko, the leading high-end
Finnish textile and clothing design company.
• Extensive background in networked client/server administration, IT troubleshooting, and proficiency with graphic/web design software on Windows
and Macintosh platforms.
• Detail-oriented multi-tasker comfortable managing multiple deadlines both in and out of groupsettings, while adapting to changing technologies and
PROFESSIONAL WORK EXPERIENCE
Walton Management Services, Inc. : May 2005 – Present
Director of Creative Development; Senior Graphics Designer; Assistant to Director of Marketing and Public Relations
• Perform web site development and maintenance (layout, design, and coding), content proofing, layout, and design, document creation and special
format editing, new marketing technology research, and web server software implementation. rd• Design and program custom web-interfaces. Responsible for research, recommendation, and project oversight of outsourced work to 3 party vendors. Managed client/vendor relations for the duration of IT operations improvement project. • Design and maintain the corporate web site and internal web-based software. • Began a company-wide rebranding effort working with the Director of Marketing and Public Relations. Designed and re-created
corporate/marketing/sales/advertising materials to be consistent with my design for the new company logo (and associated branding). Re-designed and coded new corporate website and performed ongoing layout and design work (including user interface design for web-based services). • Spearheaded new site development strategies using content management systems and social networking tools.
IT Services Liaison
• Handled all IT operations, including server and network administration and 3 successful server migrations. Assisted in the research and implementation of a new server configuration and setup DMZ configuration and network firewalls for internal and external client access, including the installation and setup of Windows server software, configuration of PGP and FTP account administration, MS IIS and Apache Tomcat
setup/installation, and various IT troubleshooting tasks. Provided continuing support for the duration of client and server/software upgrades. The Marimekko Concept Store : July 2006 – December 2007
Operations Co-Manager; Creative Consultant and Technology Director
• Served as on-site project manager for Finnish-based parent company responsible for coordinating all operational aspects of Concept Store launch
including planning, store design, and general project oversight. Interfaced with municipal agencies and various contractors to ensure on-budget and
on-schedule opening of largest U.S. Marimekko retail storefront. • Provided creative direction for the interior and exterior design of the store layout. Served as liaison to architects, building engineers, company reps,
county permitting officials, and legal/financial advisors to meet design specifications and project milestones. Teamed with new store manager to
implement “green” standards in construction of store’s millwork and product fixtures. Produced custom designs for fixtures, including large 3D signs
mounted on the external façade of the building.
• Responsible for implementation of all technologies relating to daily store operations including in-store computer networks, audio/visual systems,
multi-line internet enabled phone system, and website integration for real-time inventory management. Researched and implemented a Point-Of-
Sale system which required custom integration with company accounting software. • Prepared final documentation and manuals for store use; interviewed and trained new staff; provided IT/technical support during staff transition.
Jared Alon Enterprises / Honfleur Home LLC : May 2005 – December 2007
Creative and Technology Director; Web Developer and Online Programmer; Administrative Assistant • Partnered with CEO of online retailer to co-brand and develop multiple subsidiary and affiliate organizations. Created new in-house designs for all
company logos, business cards, letterhead, and ad campaigns.
• Co-led effort to bring emerging web and marketing technologies to company. Coordinated with vendors to design and program special case web-
based applications including a fully-customized web interface for product and order administration. • Efforts enabled company to significantly expand and grow its operations from 2 to more than 20 brands over the course of a year.
• Maintained online operations; provided customer IT support and network administration. Part-time Freelance and Consulting Work : 1999 – Present
Creative/IT Consultant and Developer
• Numerous part-time roles as Creative Director, Web Developer, Graphic Designer, and IT consultant. • Performed duties such as logo design and branding, web site development and maintenance, search engine optimization, web/network systems consultation and analysis, e-commerce setup and implementation, web software design and programming, and user-interface design.
• Studied Computer Science at the University of Maryland, College Park, MD from September 1998 – January 2000 • Studied Art and Graphic Design at the University of Hartford, CT from January 2000 – May 2000 • Studied Graphic design at Central Connecticut State University, CT from June 2000 – January 2001 • Studied Communication at the University of Maryland, College Park, MD from September 2003 – May 2004
The entire Adobe Creative Suite Premium suite, including Adobe InDesign? CS4, Photoshop? CS4 Extended, Illustrator? CS4, Acrobat? 9 Pro, Flash? CS4 Professional, Dreamweaver? CS4, Fireworks? CS4, After Effects? CS4, Adobe Premiere? Pro CS4, Soundbooth? CS4, and Encore? CS4 with additional tools and services. Also familiar with similar software including QuarkXPress for Mac. Microsoft Office Enterprise suite: Office Access, Office Excel, Office Outlook and Outlook Express, Office Powerpoint, Office Publisher, Office Word, and companion tools and services.
Operating Systems: Mac OSX, Microsoft 95/98/ME/XP/2000/Windows7, MS Windows Server 2003-2008, MS SQL Server 2000-2005, MS IIS v5-v7, Apache Tomcat.
jQuery, Mootools, and more.
Audio/Visual software: Microsoft Movie Maker, Windows Media Encoder, Sony Sound Forge + Audio Studio, Steinberg Nuendo + Wavelab, Ableton Live Suite, Audacity and much more.