4tbsp raspberry jam
300g bar Madeira cake; thickly sliced and halved (you can use a standard component)
300g raspberries – tinned or defrosted frozen ones are fine
4-6tbsp fruit juice (from the raspberries if desired)
2tbsp custard powder
1tbsp caster sugar
500ml / 1 pint whole milk
420ml (approx) double cream
A handful of flaked almonds, toasted
1. Spread a little jam on each slice of cake and arrange on the bottom
of either one large dish or small dishes.
2. Spoon over the raspberries (reserving a few for decoration) and
squish down a little with a fork.
3. Sprinkle over the fruit juice
4. Put the custard powder and sugar into a bowl and mix with 2tbsp of
5. Heat the rest of the milk in a pan until boiling, and then gradually
pour over the custard mix, stirring all the time. Return to the pan
and simmer for a few minutes until thickened.
6. Leave the custard to cool to room temperature (stirring the
custard and standing the pan in a bowl of cold water will speed this
7. Spoon the cooled custard over the raspberries.
8. Chill for 30 minutes.
9. Softly whip the cream and dollop / pipe over the custard.
10. Decorate with the almonds and raspberries.
Think how you can reduce the fat content by changing the ingredients, the quantities of ingredients used and by varying the thickness and types of layers in the trifle.
678 kcalories, protein 8.2g, carbohydrate 51.6g, fat 49.1g, saturated fat 26.5g, fibre 2g, salt 0.67g