I. Prerequisites for a Quality Tour Guide
1. Seven Points for Tourism Profession Ethic Norm 旅游职业道德规范七条
(1) Warm and friendly, put guests above everything else; 热情友好；宾客至上
(2) Sincere and fair, reputation first;
(3) Civilized and courteous, top quality service; 文明礼貌；优良服务
(4) Neither haughty nor humble, treat equally without discrimination;
(5) Unity and co-operation, take the interests of the whole into account;
(6) Observe discipline and abide by law, be honest in performing one‟s official duties; 遵纪守法；廉洁奉公
(7) Endeavor to gain professional proficiency, improve technical skill.
2. A Tour Guide Should Possess Nine Abilities 导游必备的九种能力
(1) Observation ability 观察能力
(2) Ability to relate events to wealth of knowledge 联想能力
(3) Operational ability 操作能力
(4) Full of resources in any emergency 应变能力
(5) Good memory 记忆能力
(6) Informative and didactic tour guiding stories 表达能力
(7) Ability to work independently (ability to make decisions independently/ When you take action, take the
right action.) 独立工作能力
(8) Good inter-personal communication skills with tourists 交际能力
(9) Ability to appreciate painting, music, artifacts and the like 鉴赏能力
3. Insist on (Persist in) Examining Tour Guides with A.S.K. Principles
(1) Attitude --- good work attitude态度
(2) Skill --- guiding skill and full of sufficient resources to handle any emergency 技能
(3) Knowledge --- wealth of knowledge 知识
4. Tour Guide Should Keep in Mind the Following 16 Points 导游员牢记16条要点
(1) Whether tourists on the coach can hear the guide 声音是否能让车上的人都听到
(2) The rhythm of their speech
(3) The words the tour guide uses should be appropriate 讲话用词是否正确
(4) Correct use of the microphone
(5) Language should be acceptable, when it becomes necessary to give strong commands to tourists for their
safety of other similar circumstances
(6) Choosing of a location for interpreting
(7) Speech should be interesting and humorous 讲解能否引起兴趣；有幽默感
(8) Information should be precise and reliable
(9) Balance of language and special vocabularies --- Because tourists come from all walks of life 知识的针对性
(10) When interpreting, the guide should face tourists
(11) On coach, the contents the guide is using should coincide with the subjects viewed by tourists 讲解内容是否与车外所见一致
(12) Tour guides should be amiable to tourists and should remember to smile at them 和蔼可亲；面带笑容
(13) when explaining something, a tour guide‟s speech should convey enthusiasm for the subject matter, and should engage tourists
(14) When interpreting, the tour guide should make use of the subject under discussion to convey to his/her own ideas, but should not be based on purely fictitious or fabricated views
(15) When taking account of tourists on the coach, do not use your fingers; it is not considered polite. Always remember to give a brief introduction to the scenic spots while tourists are en route to the site(s) 在车上点人
(16) Your use of a foreign language should be clear, precise, and fluent; this will require continual review and practice as you continue in your career path, and will one day become very natural and easy for the tour guide who perseveres 外语运用是否清楚；准确；流畅。
5. The Global Concept of Tour Guide Service
The global concept of tour guide service contains 7 meanings represented by the word “SERVICE” with 7
1. S --- SMILE 微笑
2. E --- EXCELLENT 出色
3. R --- READY 准备好
Which shows that the tour guide is constantly ready to serve tourists.
4. V --- VIEWING 看待
Which indicates that each tourist should be treated as a distinguished guest with his or her special needs. 导游员要把每一位旅游者看作是需要提供特殊照顾的贵宾
5. I --- INVITING 邀请
Which means that tourists will want to return after he of she leaves the city or the country. 导游员在服务结束时；要邀请旅游者下次再来光临
6. C --- CREATING创造
Which shows that the tour guide should create an amiable and harmonious environment for tourists. 导游员要精心创造出使旅游者能享受其温暖服务的气氛
7. E --- EYE眼光
Which means that each tour guide pays a close attention to tourists with keen observation, anticipates their needs and provides his or her service in time which makes tourists feel that they are carefully and constantly concerned by tour guides.
6. Quality Tour Guide Basics优质导游员的基本条件
(1) Smile. You are on a tour!
(2) Never say “no” to a tourist.
(3) Comply with tourist reasonable requests immediately.
(4) Take personal responsibility to get the answers to tourist‟s questions.
(5) Greet tourists with a warm welcome and wish our departing tourists a warm goodbye and incite them back.
(6) Use the tourist‟s name whenever possible.
(7) Use English when speaking with tourists.
(8) Wear an immaculate uniform at all times, including your nametag.
(9) Escort tourists rather than point out directions to another area of a place.
(10) Be knowledgeable of China to answer tourist inquiries.
(11) Use proper telephone etiquette.
(12) Know your role in an emergency situation.
(13) Notify your superior immediately of assistance you may have.
(14) Develop (make) a buddy system during a tour.
(15) Strive for excellence. Never be satisfied with “good enough.”
7. Rich Knowledge
Rich knowledge is indispensable for interpretation in guiding activities. Such knowledge, however, must be discerned through penetrating insight and should be put in an appropriate language. Of course, mere knowledge is not enough. A quality tour guide must be imbued with a lively disposition that can arouse a tour group‟s vigor and confidence. But good personal character and disposition are still insufficient. To be a
successful tour guide, one must possess the superior skills and techniques of guiding, the ability to handle urgent problems and an excellent mastery of all phases and levels of professional work. Such competence will definitely be appreciated both by the travel agency and the tourist. Such skills and techniques can only be obtained in the classrooms even though they are urgently needed by the tour guide. They must be continually and constantly practiced in guide work and in actual experience. Only in tour guiding environment can the tour guide truly acquire and polish these skills and techniques, and prove himself/herself to be a qualified tour guide. Guide work is not merely an intellectual pursuit, but the rigorous professional application of what one has learned, and its continued advancement through a career and life of dedicated service.
II. Fifteen Ps 15个P
8. prudence 谨慎
12. providence 节约
13. pollution(tourism) 防污染
14. photography-taking 拍照须知
III Three Extras 三点须知
3. giving information ahead
IV Four Orientations 四个定向
1. helpful 乐于助人
3. informative 提供信息
4. efficient 讲究效率
V Five Diligences
1. eyes open
2. ears attentive
3. legs in motion
4. hands active
5. mouth explaining
VI Seven Important Characteristics
1. a high sense of ideological responsibility 高度的思想责任感
2. conscientious and detailed style of work 认真仔细的工作作风
3. unselfish attitude towards work
4. imbued with the spirit of self-criticism 具有自我批评精神
5. be strict in discipline of foreign affairs 严格的外事纪律
6. be good at public relations
7. to render a smiling service
VII Eight Skills
1. superior language ability
2. natural magnetism--- acting ability 自然的表演能力
3. dynamic personality--- personable personality or out-going personality
4. good academic knowledge of a city in which s/he is working
5. sense of humor
7. a good communicator--ease of communicating 善于交谈
8. keep in mind that a tour guide is not a tourist 切记导游员不是旅行者
VIII The Characteristics of a Tour Guide‟s Language
The Eight Characteristics of a Tour Guide‟s Language
1. Said with solid judgment;言之有理
2. Argued with illustrative examples;言之有物
3. Supported with evidence;言之有据
4. Reasoned with feeling;言之有情
5. Expressed with vitality;言之有神
6. Expressed by humor;言之有趣
7. Related with politeness;言之有礼
8. And made clear by metaphor言之有喻
The Characteristically Chinese Skills and Techniques Used in Tour Guiding
On the whole, these skills and techniques can be classified into the following 12 categories:
1. Narration in a matter-of-fact manner;
2. Introduction with a focus on key events;
3. A section-by-section explanatory introduction;
4. Introduction spurred by beautiful scenery;
5. Question-and-answer introduction;
6. Combination of factual information with abstract reasoning;
7. Traced analogy between two events;
8. Lecture on specific topics;
9. Suspension-creation method;
10. Elicitation with no explanation;
11. Leading someone to a fascinating vista;
12. The giving of a crucial touch to a picture.
The Tour Guide‟s Duties Are Approximately as Follows
1. The tour guide should do everything possible to ensure that the tour members obtain the maximum enjoyment and satisfaction from the tour.
2. The tour guide should pay particular attention to the health and safety of the tour members. As the saying goes: „Caution is the parent of safety.‟ When a tour member falls ill, the tour guide has to advise him/her to consult the doctor in no time.
3. The tour guide should supervise the transporting of the tour members‟ luggage (baggage).
4. Assist the tour members in their dealings with airlines, hotels and other principals. For example, if a tour member‟s luggage is lost or damaged, help the tour member file a complaint with the airline or the department concerned.
5. Coordinate all arrangements in co-operation with the hotels and local tour guide(s). If a tour member needs a single room on his/her own, the guide should check the hotel first and pays a single supplement on the spot.
6. Do everything possible to become knowledgeable about the cities and sites included in the itinerary of each trip s/he leads.
7. File (submit) complete and accurate trip reports. Reports should include full explanations of problems and actions taken; accident problems encountered by the tour members; names and descriptions of all local guides with whom the national guide of local guide comes into contact during each trip; hotel, transportation and sightseeing activities; meal, etc.
The national guide or local guide reports are important sources of information that the Travel Service uses in improving the service. The Travel Service also relies on the trip reports to respond to compliments or complaints from the tour members.
Suggested Samples and Useful Expressions
1. Welcoming Speech
Ladies and gentlemen,
Welcome to xxx! May I introduce my Chinese colleagues to you? This is Mr. Wang from xxx International Travel Service. He will travel with you throughout the trip in China. This is Mr. Yang, our driver. His bus number is …. My name is xxx.
I am from xxx International Travel Service. I will be your guide/ interpreter during you stay in xxx. If you have any special interest, please tell your tour leader, and s/he will let us know. My job is to smooth your way, care for your welfare, try my best to answer your questions, and be your guide and interpreter. I will try to do my level best to „warm the cockles of your heart.(你们的内心深
处)‟ We highly appreciate your understanding and co-operation.
Xxx is a pleasant place to visit, as well as to do business, to shop, to dine or to be entertained. Xxx is both an ancient and a young city. It is ancient because it has a history of more than x,000 years (The city of Xxx was established in xxxx B.C. ) As a capital, the city has a history of more than xxx
years. Xxx is a young city in terms of its vitality and its importance. The reasons why xxx attracts and pleases people are not hard to discover. To start at the heart of xxx itself, the tourist sees the xxx, which is the xxx center of the city.
There is something special about this city. Its eminence among China‟s tourist attractions is not
due solely to its statue as the political and cultural center of the province. Xxx is a city of distinction in its own right, a tourist experience of unusual variety and unexpected contrasts.
More than any other city, xxx offers a splendid microcosm of both modern and traditional China. It contains so many sights within its vicinity that one short visit is insufficient. “Half a loaf is better
than no bread” at all.
It is my sincere hope that you will enjoy your visit. Thank you.
1. My job is to smooth your way, care for your welfare, try my best to answer your questions and be your guide/interpreter.
2. During your stay in China, I‟ll try to do my
level best to warm the cockles of your heart or to do your heart good.
3. We are friends across the sea.
4. More than other city, xxx offers a splendid microcosm of both modern and traditional China. 5. One of the most beautiful qualities of true friendship is to understand and to be understood. 6. “What a joy it is when our friends from afar come to visit;” “No more delightful than to receive friends from far away;” “Nothing is more
delightful than to meet friends from far away.”
7. I know that you will have a wonderful and rewarding experience during your stay in xxx.
2. Farewell Address
Ladies and gentlemen,
Your current visit to China is drawing to a close. I would like to say a few words before you leave this country, though I am not speech-maker. Seventeen days have elapsed so quickly and you have visited several cities in our country. Examples of these are Beijing which is the capital of the People‟s Republic of China; Xi‟an, the
paradise of archeologists both at home and abroad; Chengdu, the capital of Sichuan Province, which is the land of heavenly gift; Kunming of Yunnan Province is a charming place, spring hovers all the year round, and flowers of all sorts bloom in a riot
of color. Particularly the Stone Forest. Then we flew to Guilin which claims to be “second to none”
in scenery. The Li River cruise was superb. Finally we came to Shanghai which people used to call the adventurers‟ paradise before 1949. seventeen
days‟ time was rather short and really the surface was only scratched. What the Chinese people call “looking at the flowers on the horse‟s back.”
Everybody in the group has been very
co-operative, friendly, understanding and punctual. That is what I witnessed and
experienced, and as a national guide, it was much appreciated. As you all know that friendship does not go one way, it goes both ways. Of our mixed life, two quests are given control: food for the body and friendship for the soul. I have tried to assist you during your stay in China. You are well aware that one of the fine qualities of true friendship is to understand and to be understood.
The current trip of our friends to China is drawing to its end. There is a saying in China: “A
picture is worth a thousand words, but being there is worth a thousand pictures.” As we usually say,
you can please some of the people all of the time, some of the other people some of the time, but you cannot please all of the people all of the time. However, if you go for a holiday, it doesn‟t matter
whether it is bad or good. If it is bad, you are so pleased to return and appreciate your own home. If it is good, you will be looking forward to going there again.” You ain‟t seen nothing yet./ You have
not seen anything yet.
China is a developing country. Tourism is a new born thing, and the success of tourism can not be achieved by the specialized units alone. Its success depends a great deal and support of units related to this industry. The problems you have met on the trip were known to everyone, and I don‟t want to enumerate them now. The point is that we should treasure our friendship and experiences.
Parting is such sweet sorrow. Happy to meet, sorry to depart, and happy to meet again.
May the road rise to meet you;
May the wind be always at you back;
May the rain fall softly upon your fields;
May the sun shine warmly upon your face;
And until we meet again, all the best.
Now I propose a toast:
To the friendship between our two countries
To your happy journey in China
To the health, wealth and happiness of all the delegation members
To our excellent co-operation in China, cheers!