_______________________________________________________________________________ Jacob tells Katharine they’d like to give her more responsibility.
Jacob: I’m sure you know that we’re very pleased with the work you’ve done as a
research assistant here. We’ve noticed how you take initiative and really think
outside the box in order to get things done.
Katharine: Thank you.
Jacob: Well, thank you. The point of this is that due to our recent growth and the several new projects we’re working on, we need a new analyst, and we’d like you to
take on this new role. It would mean more responsibility in terms of assisting project managers and learning to do more complex analysis-and, of course, it would also mean an increase in your salary. Do you think you would be interested in taking on this new role?
Katharine: Absolutely! Thank you very much.
Jacob: That’s great news. I’ll send you a specific job description and salary range so you can understand a little more about what your different duties would be. Can you give me your official answer by the end of the week?
Katharine: Of course. Thank you for this opportunity.
Think outside the box: to think creatively and create especially smart or unique solutions to problems 跳出固有思维去思考
Take on: to assume or be responsible for 承担
Be moving up the ranks: to be increasing one’s responsibility, stature, or position in a
Corner office: an office in a corner, desirable because of the possibility of multiple windows, usually seen as a symbol of power or prestige 角落办公室
Networking: to communicate with and within a group, usually with the purpose of interacting with influential people 建立关系网络
To have someone‘s ear: to have someone’s attention or to be in a position to influence
Schmoozing: to talk casually, in a friendly way, usually in order to make a useful social connection 闲聊
Up for: in this sense, being considered for 被列入考虑
Rise: an increase in salary 加薪
Across the board: broad in scope, usually including everyone 全面性的
Compensation: a salary increase based on an assessment of the cost of living(which includes the basic costs of food, shelter, and clothing) in an area 生活津贴
A;Talking about increased responsibilities
1. I’m really excited to take on more responsibilities.
2. She’s going to have to learn to delegate in this new role.
3. He’s really moving up the ranks!
B. Talking about improved position in the company
4. Kim will be in the corner office pretty soon!
5. Lila’s networking really paid off-she’s got the boss’s ear now.
6. I want to connect with upper management, but I’m just not good at schmoozing.
7. Olivia is up for supervisor, I think.
C. Talking about changed salaries
8. I hear Jorge is going to get a huge raise for this.
9. They say we’re gong to get a four percent increase across the board.
10. After the promotion, my whole compensation package changed.
11. Jan said there won’t be a cost of living increase this year!