Unit 3 Australia
1. He is a highly _________ doctor in the through out the town. A. respective B. respected C. respectful D. respecting 2. The concert has been canceled __________ lack of support.
A. as B. owing to
C. was because of D. lead to
3. There are strict limits on ____________ the country because a lot of social problem
could arises and the country can’t take in a lot of new blind comers. .
A. emigration ito B. immigration into
C. emigration out of D. emigration into 4. It's not by any means a brilliant salary but it's ________for our needs.
A. adequate B. abundant C. accurate D. attached 5. They are purely __________ weapons, not designed for attacks.
A. offensive B. defensive
C. offence D. defensible
6. The cancer risks ___________ smoking have been well documented.
A. involved with B. involving with
C. associating with D. associated with
7. ---Why do you look so upset?
---There are so many troublesome problems _____.
A. remaining to be settled B. remained settled
C. remaining to settle D. remained to be settled 8. ________ a vocation, and you’ll forget unhappy things
A. Going on B. To go on
C. Go on D. If you go on
9. The boss appeared ______ the accident and was not surprised at the news.
A. to know B. to have known C. knowing D. having known
10. Sorry, I haven’t got enough cash to pay for the bill. I have __________ 10 yuan
with me. Can I pay for it with my a credit card?
A. no less than B. no fewer than
C. no more than D. much more than
11. ______ surprised the family most was ________ the girl played basketball very well.
A. That; that B. That; what C. What; that D.What; what
12. She decides to climb the high mountain _________ as she is a _________ person.
A. alone , determined B. lonely, determined
C. alone, determining D. lonely, determining 13. I remember _______ this used to be a very small village.
A. when B. how C. where D. what
14. Since she left home, I have been worried about her and _____ well at all.
A. was sleeping B. wasn’t sleeping
C. haven’t been sleeping D. have been sleeping
15. You must __________for catching colds for the weather is so changeable at
this time every year
A. look up B. look into C. look for D. look out
第二节 完形填空 阅读下面短文！从短文后所给各题的四个选项(A、B、C
I was sure that I was to be killed. I became terribly 16 . I fumbled(摸索) in
my pockets to see if there were any cigarettes, which had 17 their search. I
found one. But I had no matches, for they had taken those. I 18 the bars at the
jailer(狱卒). He did not make eye contact with me. I 19 out to him, ―Have you
got a 20 ?‖ He looked at me, shrugged (耸肩) and came over to light my
cigarette. As he came close, I 21 . I don't know why I did that. It was as though a spark jumped across the 22 between our two hearts. My smile leaped through the 23 and generated a smile on his lips, too. He lit my cigarette but stayed 24,
looking at me directly in the eyes.
I kept 25 at him, and his looking at me seemed to have a new dimension(方面) too. ―Do you have 26 ?‖ he asked. ―Yes, here, here.‖ I took out my wallet and 27 fumbled for the pictures of my family. He, 28, took out the
pictures of his family and began to talk about his plans and hopes for 29 . My eyes
filled with tears, I said that I 30 that I’d never see my family again, never have the 31 to see them grow up. Tears came to his eyes, too. 32 , without another
word, he 33 my cell and silently led me out. Out of the jail, quietly and by back
routes, out of the town.
My life was saved by a smile. Yes, the smile?the 34 , unplanned, natural
connection between people. I really believe that if that part of you and that part of me
could recognize each other, we wouldn't be enemies. We couldn't have 35 or
envy or fear.
16. A. excited B. lonely C. impatient D. nervous 17. A. escaped B. attracted C. confused D. misled 18. A. broke off B. bent down C. looked through D. fixed up 19. A. called B. let C. reached D. ran 20. A. light B. watch C. cigarette D. key 21. A. cried B. laughed C. smiled D. whispered 22. A. size B. gap C. weight D. rate
23. A. prison B. bars C. noise D. silence 24. A. far B. calm C. near D. angry
25. A. smiling B. shouting C. staring D. pointing 26. A. pictures B. kids C. time D. strength 27. A. freely B. strongly C. unwillingly D. nervously 28. A. finally B. however C. too D. accidentally 29. A. them B. me C. fun D. pleasure
30. A. promised B. intended C. insisted D. feared 31. A. idea B. chance C. desire D. hope 32. A. Suddenly B. Gradually C. Politely D. Skillfully 33. A. broke B. blocked C. unlocked D. left
34. A. impossible B. invisible C. unknown D. unaffected
35. A. hate B. dream C. competition D. poverty
One answer to the question of land shortage was suggested by an organization some years ago. A city was to be built at sea, housing 30,000 people.
The suggestion was to shape the city like a harbor(港口).The outer wall of the
harbor would stand on steel columns resting on the sea-bed. Naturally this could only be where the water was fairly shallow. The people would like to live in flats in the fifty-metre high outer wall. The flats would be all face inwards, and would be made of concrete(混泥土) and glass. The glass would be specially made and colored to control the heat and strong light from the sun. The planners called this man-made harbor would be calm. On it would be floating islands carrying more building: a hospital, two theaters, museum, an art exhibition hall and a church. On one of the islands would be a special factory to take the salt out of sea water and turn it into fresh water.
People living in the city could move around on small boats driven by electricity, so there would be no air pollution from the burning of gas. There would be platforms outside the man wall for ships bringing supplies. People could also travel to the mainland by motorboat or water plane.
36. What was suggested about the construction of a new city at sea?
A. The city was to be designed together with a harbor.
B. The walls around the city would be made of steel and glass.
C. The building of the city would rest on a floating island.
D. The people would live in tall building surrounded by a wall.
37. How would fresh water be supplied to the city?
A. By treating sea water.
B. By getting it from the surrounding islands.
C. By building a small lake of fresh water inside the city.
D. By transporting it from the mainland.
38. The suggestion made by the organization is to solve the problem that _______.
A. there is not enough space for building cities on land
B. land transportation has became increasingly difficult
C. there are too many people on land
D. present cities are heavily polluted by cars
39. The purpose of the writer is _______.
A. to suggest how new type of harbor could be built at sea
B. to give a description of a new-type city
C. to draw people's attention to the problem of air pollution
D. to introduce a new way of building harbor-cities
How to Order
Ordering from BooksFirst is easy and safe.
SELECTING YOUR BOOKS
When you have found a book you would like to order, just click on Add to
Basket and it will be added to your shopping basket. To make it easy to keep track of the books you’ve selected, My Shopping Basket will display your choices wherever
you are on the site. When you’re ready to place your order, select View Basket.
This is where you select the postal destination for your order, indicate whether you would like Next Day Delivery in the UK and choose gift-wrapping. You can also amend (修改) the contents of your basket by making any changes and then selecting Update Basket.
Overseas customers ordering three or more books can also request reduced
airmail charges here. When you’re happy with the contents of your shopping basket, go to the Secure Checkout.
THE ORDER FORM
After you’ve completed the order form, you will receive an on-screen
acknowledgment. This will be followed by an email confirming the details of your order.
We will then inform you when your order has been sent. If this is your first order, we will also inform you of your personal BooksFirst account number. YOUR FIRST ORDER
We’ll send you a personal account number after you have placed your first order. For following orders all you need to do is enter your personal account number and email address.
If you have ordered from us before, online, by mail or telephone, you will have already owned a personal account number. You then only need to complete the full order form. Using your account number allows us to find your details from our records (they are not accessible online).
However, you do not need your BooksFirst personal account number to place an order—simply present all the required details on the order form. If you don’t have a note of your account number just Contact us so that we can supply it to you.
40. We can probably read this advertisement ______.
A. in a newspaper B. in a magazine