Week 9 Discussion
Objectives of this lesson:
; Relate your results to your research question
; Relate your results to the research of others
; Review the consistency of your findings to the literature review
Part A Sample format of the ‘Discussion & Implications’ section
1) state writers’ overall ‘position’ on RQ & findings - Are the findings consistent with literature review ?
Is it the same as the 2) repeat finding 1, & discuss relevance to RQ
definitions, culture, 3) repeat step 2 for findings 2 and 3, & discuss relevance to RQ
description, etc.) in your
literature or your daily 4) summarize writers’ overall position on your RQ.
5) explain why your findings are important to communication at work
6) demonstrate how findings may be applicable to everyday life.
Throughout the discussion, writer should develop a convincing and
detailed answer to the RQ using their own voice.
How important is it to know about each colleague’s personality in an organization?
Findings Discussion & implications
1. Importance of knowing each other’s ; Everyone ________ that knowing
personality each other’s personality was
Trying to relate to ; Having more frank and open ________ to the organization.
what have been dialogue ; It helps people to
written in the ; Knowing more about individual _____________________________
literature review. expectation _____________________________.
; Encouraging amicable working ; These data ___________ what
environment Richmond & McCroskey (2005)
mentions that being acquainted with
1 LS 22191_Sem A_2010
the characteristics of your colleagues
is an indication of the success of an
2. Healthy culture to do community work ; The supervisors and subordinates ; Visiting some local elderly ___________________________ Relating to the
centres monthly to practice team during the process of doing voluntary previous
spirit work. research.
; Understanding colleagues’ ; It assists to break the ________
weaknesses and strengths difference.
; Alleviating status difference ; These results are consistent with the
previous studies (John, 2009).
; Setting up family-friendly practice and
having a healthy organizational
culture dedicate to the meaningful
office relationship (Acuff & Wood,
3. Close relationship between subordinate ; Having a close relationship with your and supervisor subordinates contribute __________ It’s some ; Very sure how the supervisor ________________ and colleagues information that
handles everything will treat the managers or supervisor you didn’t ; Asking for advice from the as ________________ and respect mention in the
supervisor all the time ； them all the time. LR but now
father-son-relationship ; Business today is looking to create a you’ve collected ; Treat everything equally system that enhances colleagues to it via your
collaborate with each other including interviewees.
the boss and the supervisor equally
since it will develop everyone’s
potential completely (Glaser, 2005).
Findings Discussion & implications
1. Choice of Communication Channel is affected by the status
because of job nature
For senior staff,
– Communicate with boss in person. (direct approach)
2 LS 22191_Sem A_2010
– Communicate with subordinate through phone /
email. (indirect approach)
For junior staff,
– Communicate with boss through phone / email.
– Communicate with subordinate in person. (direct
2. Senior staff has no communication problem with different
status whereas junior staff does
• No problem when communicate with different status people
• Higher education level
• Many experiences
• Good communication skills is essential in the management
3. Communication channels affect the quality of communication
• Face-to-face communication is always used for important
• Collecting feedback through indirect method may not
always reflect the truth.
Summarize your position on your RQ and explain why your findings
are important to communication at work and everyday life.
1. … and … also supports the positive effects …
2. Previous studies (XXX, 2009) showed the positive effect of … while the present study would seen to extend the
positive effects of touch …
3 LS 22191_Sem A_2010