Chapter 6 food for thought
21. another one 2. seems
22.. be influenced by 3. unfair
23. a programme on space 4. steak
24.industry 5. sausage
25. grow food 6. salad
26. instead of 7. increase your brainpower
27. cattle 8. be better for
28. there will be no more hurry
9. warm your body
29. think about 11. keep you awake
12. be worth doing
31. have to 13. vegetarian
32. may be 14. .astronaut
33. listen to me 15. sound good to you
34. better for your health 16. sound horrible
35. better for your environment 17. no more bits of dead animals
36. lose my appetite 18. a person who doesn’t eat meat
37. appetite for meat 19. since
38. need to eat meat 20. a programme on TV
39. contain vitamins and mineral
40. get ill 61. pay attention to
41. because of 62. order their lunch
42. pesticide 63. Colleague
43. argue with sb 64. dry and rough
44. argument 65. a bit weak
45. change the subject 66. look pale
46. nearby 67. preventing spots
47. a bookshop nearby 68. skin
48. bits of meat 69. cereal
49. alive 70. nut
50. be influenced by 71. put on weight
51. ask sb to do sth 78. do a survey
52. sth wrong 79. interview a different person
53. change the way 80. sensible
54. lose interest / weight 81. cruel
55. advise sb to do sth 82. cost of living
56. raise cattle 83. improve
57. persuade sb to do sth 84. proposal
58. firstly / secondly/ thirdly 85. compare
59. have to 86. recommend
60. agree with sb 87. amout of / plenty of
89.Be healthy for
90.Source of energy
91.A variety of food
93. be lack of
94. balanced diet
95. in order to
96. increase the risk of heart attack 97. separate facts from opinions
1. have to
eg. 1. The animals we eat have to spend their lives living in tiny
2.You need to become a vegetarian too. Conclusion:
1. The topic is food for thought. The topic is worth thinking about.
2. There will be no more hungry people in the world.
There won't be hungry in the world any more./ No more people will be/get hungry in the world.
3. My mother is no longer young. = My mother isn't young any longer.
4. You ought to become a vegetarian. It's better for your health.
It's better for your health to become a vegetarian. 5. Are you trying to put me off my lunch?
Are you trying to make me lose interest in lunch?
6. Do you need to drink a cup of coffee?
Need you drink a cup of coffee.
7. He didn't come because it was raining hard.
He didn't come because of the heavy rain. 8. In my opinion, students should do more exercise.
I think students should do more exercise.
9. Nothing can keep me from studying hard.
Nothing can prevent me from studying hard./ Nothing can stop me from studying hard. 10. I don't want to argue with you.
I don't want to have an argument with you.
11. Let's change the subject.
Why not talk about something else?/ Let's talk about other things.
12. You maybe are wrong = You may be wrong.
13. The cat is dead. = The cat is not alive.
14. The cost of living will come down. = The living cost will fall/go down.