Review For Exam I
1) Courses are designed to use management software like __________ so that students can
communicate outside of class, take quizzes online, and find their class materials easily. 2) There are simulations and instructional __________ on the Web that serve as incredible learning tools. 3) In the automotive industry, computerized __________ measure temperature, emissions, and throttle
4) The ability to recover and read deleted or damaged files from a criminal’s computer is an example of a
law enforcement specialty called
5) __________ is the application of computer systems and techniques to gather potential legal evidence. 6) __________ are extremely detailed re-creations that are generated with computers and based on
forensic evidence, depositions of witnesses, and the opinions of experts.
7) __________ tags, when placed on an animal, can be used to record and track in a database all of the
8) __________ tags are small versions of the roadway electronic toll system used in many states to
automate paying tolls as you pass through the toll station.
9) __________ are used to automatically analyze information about time and temperature and to control
water pumps for cranberry crops.
10) Surgeons use __________ to perform delicate operations by manipulating devices through computers
instead of manually.
11) Technology no longer protected by copyright, available to everyone, is considered to be 12) Medical students can train on __________ and experience firsthand how a human would react to a
13) __________ translates a patient’s thoughts into commands to a robotic limb.
14) The __________ is a global effort in which bioengineers are creating realistic computer simulations of
all systems and features of the human anatomy.
15) The goal of __________ is to provide technological solutions to physical problems and to provide a
means for positively identifying individuals.
16) __________ microphones pick up sound from only one direction.
17) A __________ is an output device that creates hard copies.
18) A printer's __________ determines how many pages it can print per minute.
19) Color laser printers have __________ separate toner cartridges.
20) The type of monitor that looks like a traditional television set is called a __________ monitor. 21) __________ printers have tiny hammer-like keys that strike the paper through an inked ribbon. 22) Inkjet printers and laser printers are examples of __________ printers.
23) __________ are large printers used to produce oversize pictures that require precise continuous lines,
such as maps and architectural plans.
24) Restarting a computer when it is already powered on is called
25) __________ is what happens when the computer saves an image of the desktop and enters a state of
reduced power consumption to save energy.
26) The hard disk drive is a __________ storage device, meaning that it stores data permanently. 27) Hard disk drives are considered __________ storage.
28) __________ are essentially hard drives that have been made portable and are quite often used to
back up the data on an internal hard drive in case a problem develops or data needs to be recovered. 29) Flash drives plug into a(n)
30) __________ ports are now the most popular ports for connecting input and output devices to the
31) All of the following are indications that a Web site is secure EXCEPT
32) All of the following programs provide some control over spam EXCEPT
33) Small text files that can be automatically stored on your computer when you visit an Internet site are
34) An intrusive program that transmits information about your Internet surfing habits is called 35) If you receive an e-mail asking for personal information, it may be part of a scam called 36) Internet Explorer and Safari are examples of
37) The name of the free Internet browser from Mozilla is
38) The text version of an Internet address of a Web site is called the
39) HTTP is the abbreviation for
40) In the URL http://www.prenhall.com, the portion labeled http is the
41) Microsoft Office and Corel WordPerfect Office are examples of
42) Microsoft Works is an example of a(n)
43) Which type of software lets you dictate letters, e-mails, and voice commands? 44) An example of software that includes electronic checkbook registers and automatic bill payment tools
45) Multimedia software includes all of the following EXCEPT
46) __________ software is used to modify digital images, such as removing red eye. 47) Apple QuickTime and Microsoft Media Player are examples of __________ software. 48) CD ripping refers to
49) The organization responsible for rating computer games is the
50) Moodle and Blackboard are examples of
51) Because the operating system coordinates the flow of information, your textbook describes the OS as
52) When an operating system receives an interrupt from the printer and pauses the CPU, it is performing
which of the following functions?
53) Microsoft Windows and Mac OS use a __________ interface.
54) Which of the following statements is FALSE?
A GUI uses menus, which are lists of commands that appear on the screen.
A GUI uses windows, which are rectangular boxes displayed on the screen.
A GUI is a command-driven interface.
Icons represent an object such as a software application, a file, or a folder.
55) What part of the boot process determines whether the peripheral devices are working properly? 56) When your computer is in safe mode, you can use the __________ to view and change the properties
of all devices attached to the computer.
57) Which of the following is the first step in the boot process?